Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A couple gifs from the spring thread that are missing here.

This show owns, the manga owns, and every character owns. For me, I think it's between Seo and the Hori/Kashima pair for best character. Also since this is a comedy with no real overarching plot, I think we shouldn't worry much about spoilers in the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gils posted:

I feel that some of the delivery in the show is a little off but still pretty good and can only get better with the full cast in play.

Chiyo is also the best character because she goes for a long time being the straight man in the series and then busts out something just as stupid and loony as what everyone else does all the time. I don't know if it's the timing or what, but it makes her hilarious rather than feeling like inconsistent characterization.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kashima and Hori have transitioned fantastically, though I was expecting Hori to be a little more hotblooded. That couple is definitely my favorite.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

I found this on Tsubaki's twitter:

It's the cover of volume 5, and I'm mostly posting it because it has much tanuki.

Hmm not really the hair colors I had imagined for Ken and Maeno, but I guess we'll see how they look in practice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The next time a dating sim pops up is even better. This show continues to be everything I'd hope it would be, and Mikorin is an even bigger goon in animated form.

Also I only just noticed that those are panels in the sky in the OP. I was thinking they were in a space colony for some reason.

Edit: Oh man, I can hardly wait for Ken and Maeno next episode.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Compendium posted:

I think one of the :.ings about this series is how people can gloss over or come into it with some misconceptions, like how some people thought this was going to be a straight up shoujo romance with some comedy.

And what they get in the end is a loony bin. A glorious loony bin. :allears:

What Nozaki and Mikorin had with Tomoda was real, not something from a loony bin :colbert:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Being animated has somehow made Maeno even more the worst human being.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Yuzuki confirming best girl status again and again :allears:

Sorry, Seo may be the best character, but best girl is and always will be Mikorin.

Edit: My god, the rooftop scene. I'm dying.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 10, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Waka is such a dork :3:

I am glad he's finally been introduced, because the scenes where he plays off Seo are some of the funniest in the manga, although we probably won't get some of them without a second season.

e: Although the second part of the episode was Chapter 20, so I guess they're not too worried about jumping around a little.

Yeah, the jumping around makes me hopeful that we'll get to see villain Wakamatsu and the second otome game chapter. Even if we don't, I'm still more than satisfied with this adaptation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Potsticker posted:

The second one? I didn't realize there was more than the one. Which hopefully we will get, because it was the most hilarious thing.

There's the one with Mikorin and Tomoda that we've already seen, and the second one has Hori and Wakamatsu which I hope we'll get, if it's unclear what I'm referring to.

Edit: I guess I shouldn't have specified otome game there, since the first one wasn't one.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 10, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

How did Seo and Waka's dates even start, anyway? She stresses him out to the point of insomnia, you'd think he'd want to spend more time away from her.

Waka has no spine and is really, really dumb, so she probably just told him to come with her somewhere and he followed like a puppy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

And then immediately pull a Mikorin afterwards out of shame, yes?

No, that's after committing imaginary acts of violence against an imaginary tanuki.

On a side note, I have to say that despite my initial misgivings about the anime putting a bit more of a romance spin on the series, I think it's handled it really well. Seo and Waka's rooftop scene was magical, and I end up wanting to cheer on Chiyo despite knowing how comically hopeless her situation is. Next episode looks like it will have more Hori and Kashima, so I'm excited for it as well.

Poor Mikorin still has nobody, though. There is no happy ending for the biggest shoujo protagonist in the show.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kashima and Hori are the best couple.

And speaking of sound effects, even if it's just a generic sound effect used in tons of shows, the poot sound that is used occasionally always makes me laugh.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Compendium posted:

A series fanbook was released recently and along with some surprising illustrations, there are results of a character popularity poll:

http://fuku-shuu.tumblr.com/post/95455262082/the-new-gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun-popularity-poll

I am glad that TOMODAAAAAAAAAA got his justice. Though Maeno ranking above him is unforgivable. After all Tomoda did for them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

Every episode of this anime owns and gives me life.

Yes. Also this episode has made me question who is more oblivious between Nozaki and Seo. I am not sure it is a question that can be answered.

I'm happy to see that we're going to get some of the misunderstandings of Miyako's friends, too.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 31, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Still the best drat character. I get the feeling she and Momoka from Sabagebu would get along great.

Wakamatsu also somehow manages to be even dopier and more pathetic than in the manga.

This episode is the best one yet.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 7, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

The episode was low on Chiyofaces, but great on every other count, so I forgive it. It helps that it was great.

I regret nothing. Well, I might regret that ms paint can only do 90 degree rotations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Compendium posted:

Someone translated a special chapter found in the Anthology book! Our favorite high school kids decide to play a game...

http://argentscarf.tumblr.com/post/97021152350/gsnk-anthology-the-kings-game-nozaki-kun-by

It goes about as well as you'd expect.

It was ridiculously heart-pounding.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Such a nice kid! It's good that she knows how to take care of people smaller than her. :3: The extras are great as usual, I feel like Mikorin really shines in these.

Goddamned adorable.

The heroine battle also continues between Chiyo and Mikorin.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 13, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Why does this have to end :cry:

More importantly, why are we not getting the otome game chapter :cry:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If this show does not get a second season then there is indeed no love in this world.

Also Chiyo achieved maximum adorableness this episode.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 21, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Razzled posted:

Yes please, that would rock hard. The ending scene with Chiyo and Nozaki was even better than I remembered it!

I was torn during that whole scene between "Okay when is the punchline going to drop" (which they expertly delayed) and "If they do an anime-only ending of him reciprocating her feelings I am totally okay with that, too". Honestly, even though the anime had a bit more focus on the romance than the manga does, those aspects were done well and usually served to make the gags even funnier by contrast.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chiyo is delightfully insane. I guess I should've expected that the one who's the straight man most of the time is actually the craziest one of all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

How does Maeno manage to become an even worse human being every time he appears?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chiyo is gunning for that best best character spot with all her insane might.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

And yet it totally makes sense. Seo is attached to Waka because he reminds her of the comforts of home.

That's too simple. Seo is naturally completely oblivious to the similarities between the two.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waka's power is maximum in this chapter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Okay that whole running joke you hear about how Waka will end up marrying Seo and having kids and whatnot while never actually realizing he's in a relationship with her was supposed to be just that, a joke. Not a real, believable direction this manga could go :stare:

I am beginning to question whether she would realize it as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Good god. gently caress Maeno. That dude is awful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sonata Mused posted:

Seo and Kashima Everyone except Maeno is perfect.

Also Sakura was particularly powerful this chapter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

graybook posted:

guys

GUYS

GUYS

yumeno sakiko

[yume]>> no saki ko

no saki yume ko

nozaki yumeko

gently caress

RIP graybook due to impending silencing by the government.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chiyo's letter was great. Chiyo is great.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like the reminders that Nozaki's manga is actually terrible.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nozaki how in god's name has your publisher not dropped you yet?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm proud of Sakura, for surviving this chapter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

When I read this, all I could think about was that tuba and whistle song that sometimes played when the anime wanted to portray something both adorable and dumb.

I can't for the life of me remember that song. Got an example handy?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That link did not look too trustworthy, so I looked for some clips that might have it and found what might still be my favorite little arc.

http://youtu.be/4_ZNw1giwf4

Seo and Waka on the roof is its competition

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dick head dinosaur posted:

new chapter

spoilers mikoshiba likes big boobs

Can't argue with the man.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

He's going to sleep through their wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

A good brother, to his sister.