Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun is a comedy shounen manga parodying shoujo romance manga written and drawn by Tsubaki Izumi. It is currently being adapted by Dogakobo and Yamazaki Mitsue.

Description stolen from Batoto:
High school junior Sakura Chiyo confesses to her crush, Nozaki Umetaro, only for him to mistake her for a fan of his monthly romance manga, Let's Love. He promptly recruits her to work as his assistant. Luckily, Nozaki and Sakura are both friends with a number of pretty much insane people who work well as models and examples for Nozaki to base his characters on.

Nozaki Umetaro (Nakamura Yuichi), aka Yumeno Sakiko, is a high school student who writes and draws shoujo manga. Despite his image as a sensitive, delicate woman, he's actually an overly blunt dude who has no experience with love whatsoever.

Sakura Chiyo (Ozawa Ari) attempted to confess her love to Nozaki, but he ends up employing her to do the ink for his manga. According to the official website, she's 145 cm/four feet, nine inches tall.

Mikoshiba Mikoto (Okamoto Nobuhiko), aka Mikorin, is a big nerd who's incapable of saying what he thinks. Unfortunately for him, this ends up giving him a reputation as a flirtatious playboy. Mamiko, the heroine of Nozaki's manga, is more-or-less directly based on him. What is his artistic specialty?

Seo Yuzuki (Sawashiro Miyuki) is Sakura's classmate and friend. She's pretty considerate of others. She's good at giving advice, frequently asked to be a substitute, perfectly aware of her surroundings, and she can read the atmosphere. Isn't she too perfect?!

Kashima Yu (Nakahara Mai) is a member of the drama club, and known as the Prince of the School. She's good at sports, makes good grades, and is very popular with the other girls at school. Nevertheless, she still manages to constantly piss off Hori.

Hori Masayuki (Ono Yuki) is president of the drama club, and does the backgrounds for Nozaki's manga. One year older than most of the cast and a talented actor, he generally relegates himself to backstage roles due to his height. Normally level-headed, he alternates between doting on and beating up Kashima.

Wakamatsu Hirotaka (Kimura Ryohei) is a member of the basketball club, and one year younger than most of the cast. He is the usual target for Seo's aggression, and only finds refuge in the soothing songs of the mysterious Lorelei, which immediately put him to sleep. Can he properly communicate his true feelings to Seo?

You can watch this on Crunchyroll on Sundays at 12:05 PST. Unless you live somewhere they aren't supporting, I guess.

Also, don't spoil that bit with the otome game for people unfamiliar with the manga, or I'll cry.

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
So does anyone know if the anime starting is what sparked these sudden, rapid translations? I just don't want them to drop off again once the show ends. (I don't even know how many episodes it's scheduled for.)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
New chapter's up: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gekkan-Shojo-Nozaki-kun/Ch-049-Read-Online

Miyako's heroine sure does look like Seo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Chapter 50 is up. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gekkan-Shojo-Nozaki-kun/Ch-050-Read-Online

I think it's been a while since we've seen much of Miyako. Maybe I'm just confused due to some of the older chapters being updated.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Grondoth posted:

Why is this thread not called Yo, Ribbons

I actually almost called it that. My manga-reading friends and I usually refer to this as simply "Ribbons" because that chapter's so great, and because "Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun" is kind of a mouthful. (This before there was an official translation of the title :v:)

Edit: Also, some Valentine's Day in Chapter 28. http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gekkan-Shojo-Nozaki-kun/Ch-028-Read-Online

DoubleDonut fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 20, 2014

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
New episode's up on Crunchyroll. I updated the OP, including Wakamatsu even though he hasn't shown up yet because who cares. (I also changed the description to be more accurate.)

Totally briefs.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, don't worry; we're rapidly approaching the point where characters besides Nozaki, Sakura, and Mikorin actually start showing up more often.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I found this on Tsubaki's twitter:

It's the cover of volume 5, and I'm mostly posting it because it has much tanuki.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Episode 4 is up on CR.

I know it's usually a three episode test, but if you've been kind of lukewarm on this series so far, I really recommend watching this episode. It's a lot closer to how the rest of the series is, and it's basically just Nozaki, Sakura, and Mikorin messing around for half an hour.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
We've finally been introduced to the real essence of Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun: Tanukis.

Looks like Wakamatsu will finally show up in the next episode. This is good.

Also, Ken's voice is a hell of a lot deeper than I expected.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just love how Seo and Wakamatsu are pretty much dating each other and Wakamatsu is too much of a dork to realize it.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I think this adaptation is great. The first episode or two was a bit slow, I think, but it's picked up a lot and I'm enjoying a lot of these scenes more than I did while reading the manga.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh man, I wasn't expecting the return of the Yo, Ribbons! chick.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Episode 7 is up. I'm really glad we got to the modeling scene - it's one of my favorite bits in the manga.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can't remember if anyone already posted this, but here it is anyway:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
This episode is a good reminder that Nozaki is like a foot and a half taller than Sakura. She's basically a hobbit.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Schneider Heim posted:

They're talking about and showing the editors occasionally, were they actually introduced in the show aside from that post-credits scene of Nozaki cleaning his room? I might have missed an episode.

Yeah, the episode after that scene features Ken, Maeno, and the lady who currently has Maeno for an editor.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Episode 9 is up on Crunchyroll.

The screaming while running through the rain in this episode is perfect.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Yes. Also this episode has made me question who is more oblivious between Nozaki and Seo. I am not sure it is a question that can be answered.

Nozaki is more oblivious to love. Seo might be going out with a guy who claims to hate her, but consider the way he acts: It's only rational to assume he's in love with Seo.

Seo, however, is more oblivious to everything else. Nozaki at least occasionally knows what's going on.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mikorin is the best cat in this show.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Gils posted:

The fact that we got about 2-3 pages of the 'yo, ribbons' chapter last week but not the rest is terrible.

Personally, I was pretty devastated when we saw the corn soup joke but not the rest of that chapter.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Monthly Girls Nozkai-kun: Then... rub his butt.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Episode 11 is up. I somehow didn't really realize it before, but Ken's voice actor is really great for him.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you're sad about the show ending, please continue to read the manga. It's got slow releases due to being a webmanga but it's still pretty great! (Also I don't want it to fall into scanlation hell where no one bothers to translate it)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

sniper4625 posted:

It's a webmanga? Huh, been reading for a while, and never realized that.

It's in Gangan Online which is close enough as far as I'm concerned!

Also are you sure it's monthly? I thought it was releasing slower than that, but maybe I miscounted or something.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

HellCopter posted:

I don't

None of these characters belong together, other than Seo and Wakamatsu of course.

I like to imagine that Nozaki's basically like Seo, and imagines that he and Sakura are already dating. The difference is that Seo has an actual idea of what that actually entails.

Sakura will finally confess to Nozaki and he'll just be all "Huh? Oh, I knew that," without even reacting.

Edit: This is my headcanon please do not argue with it or I will write a very scathing post about you on tumblr

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dehry posted:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. When Square-Enix comics get popular enough to get an anime, they're about ready to drop it. Daily Lives of Highschool Boys and The Chronicles of The Going Home Club were both canceled within a couple months of the anime finishing.

I'm pretty sure Daily Live of Highschool Boys stopped because Bomber Grape just stopped making new chapters, not due to editorial decisions.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm surprised it showed the flashback but didn't show Chiyo wearing only one ribbon being the inspiration for Mamiko's design.

I have no idea how likely a second season is, but I'm pretty glad we at least got this much!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, now I want Chiyo to see (the real) Seo and Wakamatsu interact just for what her reaction would be.

Also, remember: Seo is Seo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hey, man, this is a thread for all ages!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Man, is ikemen going to be the new tsundere where no one wants to come up with a good standard translation for it so we just use the japanese word?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

This is a good sign, right? I don't know much about the anime industry's business decisions but I'm hoping this means this show was actually popular in a way that means "people are reading the manga" and "people are buying the Blu-Rays" and not just nerds are stuffing internet polls.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
What fervor!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm really alarmed by the fact that Nozaki appears to have friends outside of Mikorin.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Nozaki definitely does not have ulterior motives in this chapter

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Chapter 67 is up. It heavily features Mamikoshiba.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Chapter 70 is up.

That last panel is perfect.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I don't know what to tell you if you don't like Seo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

krnhotwings posted:

Also, at what point did Miyako realize that Sakura likes Nozaki? I don't remember this.

I can't remember if it came up or not, but it's pretty obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Burbo posted:

Nozaki preferred type: girls with guts

Go get him Chiyo!

Yes, good.