Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

naw, just ask him to send you a picture of it ripped in half if you don't trust him and move on with your life. The only concern is it ending up on car it's not supposed to be on.

I misunderstood your first post, but they'll never ask for the plate back unless you want a refund on the remaining registration.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Powershift posted:

naw, just ask him to send you a picture of it ripped in half if you don't trust him and move on with your life. The only concern is it ending up on car it's not supposed to be on.

I misunderstood your first post, but they'll never ask for the plate back unless you want a refund on the remaining registration.

Ok great that makes sense, just let the scrap man scrap his metal

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

so I picked the car up today and lol, it already has winter tires (X-Ices to boot)!

So now I need to start shopping for aftermarket wheels and good All Seasons. I probably am looking for a good rolling touring wheel and nothing for off roading (worst it would get is gravel roads to get to trail heads). Would love your collective suggestions

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

Costco mounts+balances for half the price of anybody else at this point which is an $80 savings and more than pays for a membership if you don't have and often has 50-300 off sets of different manufacturers at different points in time.

Stock for new tires everywhere is a bit fucky right now, so go there, plug in yhour model, and see what's available.

https://tires.costco.ca/

Right now pretty much every big brand is $200 off under $1500 which is a pretty deep discount.

e: apparently It's a canada day thing only for orders placed today, but each of these brands will rotate similar discounts throughout the year before winter.

Can anyone with a membership let me know what the 4 tire deal for the Michelins at 225/55R17 is? Otherwise I think I'm going with the GT Radial Maxtour LX, which have very good reviews for a budget All Season tire--major hit on it is its handling in deep snow, but I have dedicated winters already

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

what they have in stock:

That price for 4 doesn't include $80 mounting, $16 tire levy or tax, and doesn't have the discount factored in. So for example the Pilot Sport A/S 4s show at $965.92 in cart after mounting/levy/discount.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 10, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

awesome many thanks! Super helpful

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like winter starts tomorrow.

I'm more prepared than I've ever been yet dreading it more than I ever have.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

LOL

I actually saw a couple of big fat flakes this AM.

I can't complain, we had a gorgeous fall with 30 degrees right up until a few days ago. The ground is so warm I don't think anything is going to stick here unless it gets really cold with a lot of moisture for a few days.

Heading to YYC tonight for some business meetings tomorrow - I *might* be free for a bite tonight if I don't bring a co-worker with me, if anyone is interested? I'm saying at a hotel near the intersection of Barlow and Deerfoot.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
On the one hand an informal calagry goon meet would be nice and would be cool to see you again, on the other hand I have to be on the road driving to red deer by 530 so... :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

the smug feeling of doing the winter tires yesterday

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think identical to our first snow last year.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Remember how I mentioned blackcircles as a tire option?
I got to try and use their road hazard warranty today. There is a reason their prices are as low as they are. It's basically impossible to get any issue to qualify. If anything does, you're still out the price of a new tire and *maybe* they'll reimburse you within 90 days.
So fair warning. If any form of warranty is something you value, look elsewhere.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Costco seems to have (most of) their supply issues sorted out and i would never go anywhere else for tires at this point.

I could get new tires put on either car for under $500. on the truck for just over $1,000.

I've never had to deal with their warranty but Costco itself has never really left me disappointed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Costco seems to have (most of) their supply issues sorted out and i would never go anywhere else for tires at this point.

I could get new tires put on either car for under $500. on the truck for just over $1,000.

I've never had to deal with their warranty but Costco itself has never really left me disappointed.
qft

If I can't get the tires from Costco, I guess I ain't getting the tires.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Driving to Costco this afternoon and happen to look at the outside temp

Merry Christmas

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress did I put my bike away??

Oh, right, the gravel

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phy posted:

Oh, right, the gravel

We've had 3-4 cycles if +10 and sunny at noon, -20 and heavy snow at midnight.

They've even for the first time in my memory, put gravel down on non-bus routes because they had become perfect curling ice.

The not-freezing-cold thing is nice but a lot of windshields are seeing their last winter. Also a lot of bumpers being put to work(mine included)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

Driving to Costco this afternoon and happen to look at the outside temp

Merry Christmas

ridiculous

I was in Banff this week and it was like mid to late april there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phy posted:

Oh, right, the gravel

They've literally had the street sweepers out every day this week. Bikes and sportscars everywhere. My 911 is ready to go... Almost took it out tonight.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Someone in this province has exquisite taste.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When an OG Beetle is just too refined for your tastes

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

When an OG Beetle is just too refined for your tastes

And a bicycle too safe.

That car was for sale not that long ago for ~$25k if i remember right.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

McTinkerson posted:

Someone in this province has exquisite taste.

Best car/plate combo I've seen in a long time

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ruh roh

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lol. Saturday morning will be sporty.

It was literally 14 a few days ago.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hey, just a heads up for Alberta AI goons, the NASCC winter ice racing school is on January 20th (with a classroom session on the 19th) in the Edmonton area. I’ve done it before and it’s well worth the 235$ entry fee just to hoon around on an ice track with an instructor for a day. I don’t currently have an eligible car for it so I won’t be making it :(

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I thought Deerfoot was the winter ice racing course.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I can't see downtown Edmonton through the oce fog, even though my office is like 4 blocks away from the nearest tower. Stay safe on the roads, kids.

Obviously, this means the universe is a spheroid 705 meters in diameter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I can't see downtown Edmonton through the oce fog, even though my office is like 4 blocks away from the nearest tower. Stay safe on the roads, kids.

Obviously, this means the universe is a spheroid 705 meters in diameter.

It's like reality is out of focus.

I step out of my house and everything is 720p

You can see the cold in the air.

Somehow Red Deer and it's forecast has been a constant 5-6 degrees below every surrounding location.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know, cold doesn't really bother me but when I see the actual temps below -40 (not windchill numbers) I actually think twice about going anywhere.

Went to Costco last night, "only" -27 and it was awesome. No crowds, line ups, nothing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

-20 is yeah whatever, but below -40 a bunch of normal stuff starts to break.

i put out a little jar of engine oil, 50/50 coolant, and a small propane tank to show my nephew what happens to them. hopefully be able to get a small cup of liquid propane in the morning.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wind chill minus loving what?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

:rip: 'Berta goons

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God drat I'll never be without a garage again. I am able to fit all 3 in (4 counting the bike) with a forced overhead heater.... which is off unless I'm working in it. Garage is attached so even in this poo poo, the coldest it gets is probably 0-3 degrees just due to being attached. The Modine 55k BTU heats it up nicely in about 10 minutes.

That said, the truck cools down mighty quick once you get outside.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Yeah, parking your car indoors, heated or not is a huge improvement over outdoors. Goes a long way g way to making Alberta winters more bearable.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm so glad I got underground parking. At work I'll fire up the car a couple of times during the day, but my seatbelt (Seatbelt!) was still frozen stiff when I got into today.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
It’s always a little unsettling when you get in a car that’s -37 inside and the seat foam feels like a brick.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL for sure. Also another reason why fabric can be so much nicer than leather.

I was never really a fan of heated seats or steering wheels, but I must say, this last week converted me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

LOL for sure. Also another reason why fabric can be so much nicer than leather.

I was never really a fan of heated seats or steering wheels, but I must say, this last week converted me.

Just remember to turn the heat on too. I was driving back home from rocky once after a long day with the sunroof open, the heated seat and steering wheel on, just chilling. When i got back home, i went to get out of the car and me legs were numb.

We are below the boiling point of propane

https://i.imgur.com/dZdjAEf.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

welp, apparently the atmosphere is just going to vanish and expose us to hard vacuum tonight.