Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

North of provost:

Maybe it'll improve aerodynamics. It works for golf balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My friend from Vancouver calls Newfies in the Oilpatch "Salt Water Pakis"

I asked him why he calls them that and he said "Cause they're everywhere".

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
Since this is for Alberta (with a decent Edmonton presence) am I going to get to meet anyone face to face at the weeknight evening autocrosses put on by ASA on the Castrol West short course?

http://www.karelo.com/enter_res.php?&BID=92&Ev=14445

(slight conflict of interest since I'm part of the club that's organizing them, if I'm pushing the limits of The Rules let me know.)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GrantC posted:

Since this is for Alberta (with a decent Edmonton presence) am I going to get to meet anyone face to face at the weeknight evening autocrosses put on by ASA on the Castrol West short course?

(slight conflict of interest since I'm part of the club that's organizing them, if I'm pushing the limits of The Rules let me know.)

If anyone gets pissy because you're promoting local grassroots racing events, they shouldn't be in AI.

On a side note, is there or has there ever been a snowy autocross event ? I have a jeep that absolutely motors through deep snow.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

jonathan posted:

If anyone gets pissy because you're promoting local grassroots racing events, they shouldn't be in AI.

:3:

jonathan posted:

On a side note, is there or has there ever been a snowy autocross event ? I have a jeep that absolutely motors through deep snow.

Yes, when we were able to rent the taxiway at Namao (aka. CFB Edmonton) we had an awesome venue for "Winter-X". (The jeep might be a "rollover risk", but if you have a car like winter beater it'd be ideal... Make SSS come on up & codrive with him. ;))

I'll toss a "heads up" in here if we get that venue again, there's been some "political stuff" and "budget stuff" that resulted in them not renting it to _anyone_ for about a year.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

jonathan posted:

When we still had access to the Edmonton Garrison Taxiway, I ran auto x events all winter long. Sometimes we would get lucky and the wind or the facility manager didn't plow the runway.

The Edmonton Rally Club runs winter rally-x events that are amazing, plus there's ice racing. No beuno on tracking a JK or any other 4wd Jeep though due to the CoG.

I've got a Alberta motorsports events megapost in the works for this very thread.

EFB: drat you Grant!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McTinkerson posted:

When we still had access to the Edmonton Garrison Taxiway, I ran auto x events all winter long. Sometimes we would get lucky and the wind or the facility manager didn't plow the runway.

The Edmonton Rally Club runs winter rally-x events that are amazing, plus there's ice racing. No beuno on tracking a JK or any other 4wd Jeep though due to the CoG.

I've got a Alberta motorsports events megapost in the works for this very thread.

But there have been competitive jeeps in autocross. Grassroots Magazine did a cover story on one not long ago. I know our events out at Boundary Bay outside Vancouver had some clauses regarding jeeps and 4x4's though. That surface was grippy as gently caress though. I was running Cheap Kumho tires on my Mustang and they were shredded after a weekend. Of course that car was not set up well and it was hard not to understeer or power oversteer.

With that said mine is roughly 8" wider than factory and the suspension is roughly 1" lower.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Yes, your RX-7 club Winter Auto-x's were what got us hooked on "winter hoonage".

jonathan posted:

But there have been competitive jeeps in autocross. Grassroots Magazine did a cover story on one not long ago.

If it looks like this:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2010-race-jeep-cherokee-build/27247/page1/

Or this:

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=46249

You're good to go.

jonathan posted:

With that said mine is roughly 8" wider than factory and the suspension is roughly 1" lower.

If that's enough for it to be wider than it is tall you're not excluded due to rollover reasons. Otherwise, "Yes, in the rules it's specifically excludedfrom stock classes where you can't change the width & weight.".

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GrantC posted:

Yes, your RX-7 club Winter Auto-x's were what got us hooked on "winter hoonage".

If it looks like this:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/2010-race-jeep-cherokee-build/27247/page1/

Or this:

http://www.scca.com/news/index.cfm?cid=46249

You're good to go.

If that's enough for it to be wider than it is tall you're not excluded due to rollover reasons. Otherwise, "Yes, in the rules it's specifically excludedfrom stock classes where you can't change the width & weight.".

Yeah it would have to be just for fun. I'll get out the measuring tape when I get home. Traveling back from Drayton Valley to G.P. today.

Riding as a passenger in a company crew cab, and the driver has "Hit music" on the radio.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

We have the worst loving radio stations here in Alberta. If it isn't Cuntry music, you're listening to THE EAGLEBADGERBEAR PLAYING THE SAME FIVE JOURNEY SONGS EVERY HOUR DUDE or some insufferable pre-canned Top 40 station.

Unless we're talking about CKUA; they're alright I guess.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Campus radio is pretty good. CJSW is doing five times the signal power they were last year, which means I can now pick up their channel at both ends of the block in which their tower resides.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The station playing has some phone app you can download and let's you vote up or down the songs they're playing and also comment.

I'm pretty sure I would be banned first comment.

All the single ladies all the single ladies all the single ladies.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Campus radio is pretty good. CJSW is doing five times the signal power they were last year, which means I can now pick up their channel at both ends of the block in which their tower resides.

I was able to pick them up strong and clear all the way to Sibbald flats in kananaskis. I bet you could get them clear out to almost banff, though, they get re-broadcast out there don't they?

CBC is usually pretty good too. Unless you want music, in which case no radio station will satisfy for long no matter where you are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

We have the worst loving radio stations here in Alberta. If it isn't Cuntry music, you're listening to THE EAGLEBADGERBEAR PLAYING THE SAME FIVE JOURNEY SONGS EVERY HOUR DUDE or some insufferable pre-canned Top 40 station.
Oh god, this is so true it hurts. When I got transferred back to Alberta from Vancouver in the mid 90s, I realized how good CFOX was after getting stuck listening to poo poo-tastic CFGP in Grande Prairie again.

Satellite radio up north was a godsend.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I wish I'd thought of EAGLEBADGERBEAR as a username. :saddowns:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I remember when 92.9 was actually good... well other than that insufferable neocon redditor Roger and Greg's annoying creepy-guy schtick. But the playlist was halfway decent for the first 2-3 years.
CJSW has some great stuff but it gets way too, let's say eclectic for me to listen on a daily basis.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I was able to pick them up strong and clear all the way to Sibbald flats in kananaskis. I bet you could get them clear out to almost banff, though, they get re-broadcast out there don't they?

I'm just joshin'. They actually do have some great range but the part of the FM dial they're crammed into makes it basically impossible for me to pick up their station on anything that doesn't have a digital tuner. I had to replace a clock radio because a stiff breeze would knock its tuning pot onto one of the two adjacent, significantly more powerful, corporate radio stations.

I listen every day in the car, the rush hour stuff is as mainstream as CJSW gets. It gets really good after 10 PM as well, as the talk radio starts to die out. I can't stand Democracy Now, but some of the other talk shows are good.

Full disclosure: I donate every year and the free shirts I get from donating are my favorite things to wear.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 19, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It's even been tough in certain situations to pick 'em up with a digital tuner though. My main hifi is a late-'80s Kenwood (known for their ability to pick up even the shittiest FM transmission with good clarity) and even with my huge fuckoff antenna it barely gets anything because that awful top40 station is right next to it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The northeast isn't frozen or rusty enough for me, I might have to come visit sometime.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Build a camper on your five ton, throw it on a train flat deck, and ride that poo poo out here.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm actually doing that as we speak. I'm setting up a flat tech with a winch at the front and a roller at the rear like a mini oilfield bed truck.

Then I'm buying a cheap tent trailer, cutting the suspension, adding sliders under the frame and a hook on the front. Then I'll winch it up onto the deck for camping. Bolt it down and go. It will work as a base camp.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

GrantC posted:

Oh hey Grant, this is Zenas' buddy Tyler, I saw you downtown on Friday morning in your S2000

jonathan posted:

There's ice racing out on Telford Lake in Leduc from time to time if the winter is lovely enough to freeze the lake properly. Back when I was in high school we'd drive my buddies Toyota Tercel wagon Altrac on it

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

neckbeard posted:

Oh hey Grant, this is Zenas' buddy Tyler, I saw you downtown on Friday morning in your S2000

Cool!

I'll be _really_ easy to spot the rest of this summer:

Untitled by Grant.C, on Flickr

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

You YEG fuckers, with your proud ways and real race tracks...

:smith:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
yegg
"yeg"
noun (NORTH AMERICAN) informal
a burglar or safecracker.

So what's the closest road course to Calgary then? I've been muttering about getting in some track time on my bike for years now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phy posted:

yegg
"yeg"
noun (NORTH AMERICAN) informal
a burglar or safecracker.

So what's the closest road course to Calgary then? I've been muttering about getting in some track time on my bike for years now.

My friend who competes in Supersport and also runs in superbike with his supersport has competed at the Edmonton track a few times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I saw around town the other day

"Sketchy" Taxis

Unit #69

2 pink 1 stink logo and littered with Liquor delivery ads.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
The name would work a lot better if that were a panel van instead of a Prius

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/good-car-for-cheap/1006683555?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

$600 RWD v8 car in milk river. One of you southerners buy this.

edit: you're probably going to want to bring some nitrous with you. According to wikipedia, that's a 130hp 318 v8, would that even get a car moving?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Who cares about horsepower when you have rich, Corinthian leather?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If I bought that thing I'd have to pull the hood around Pincher, the fire extinguisher would be empty by Nanton and there would be a smouldering crater somewhere near High River... and that's assuming I brought a trailer.
'80s cars just hate me though, I've accepted this.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Any motor of decent size has the ability to make good power if you can get it to breath, rev and get the valve timing to maximize cylinder pressure.

Kenny Duttweiler used to build Buick v6 engines that made 600hp n/a with a class restricted 450 cfm carb.

He's the one who built that grand national that Jay Leno did the burnout contest against Tim toolman Taylor in the Saleen road car.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

The Leduc 1000 km endurance race is happening now at Castrol. Where is everyone? (I'm pit crew for the Smokey & The Bandit FC so come say hi.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Snap, monza town coupe.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/pink-1978-monza-4000-95000k-perfect-hobby-car/1007062946?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I want to buy one of these, rebrand it as a celica, and see how many import fans notice.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
You guys are starting to make me think that driving a cheap Miata year round in Edmonton might be a little harder than in Ontario.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I daily drove a miata & I ski patrol in Quebec. I made it up the 416 in 2' of unplowed stuff with snow tires on, honestly if you can get moving you'll be fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iv46vi posted:

You guys are starting to make me think that driving a cheap Miata year round in Edmonton might be a little harder than in Ontario.

Just put a whip flag on it so you don't get run over, and you'll be fine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

iv46vi posted:

What part of Ontario? I'm in the snow belt and I drove a BMW E34 with no traction control for 5 years. I was sideways most of the time but I don't think Edmonton gets it worse than Southern Ontario does.

Edit: I looked at the pics earlier in the thread and I see visible grass. I think these guys are just whiners.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

8ender posted:

What part of Ontario? I'm in the snow belt and I drove a BMW E34 with no traction control for 5 years. I was sideways most of the time but I don't think Edmonton gets it worse than Southern Ontario does.

Edit: I looked at the pics earlier in the thread and I see visible grass. I think these guys are just whiners.

GTA, aka the part where municipal services decide not to plow any major streets or highways during a major snow fall until 3pm because "more snow is expected". Winter tires don't help much on a three inch thick layer of snow and salt slush that the heavy traffic on 401 produces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

I drove my '91 with race pads, a defective thermostat, a leaky hard top and mismatched directional studded winter tires on an open diff all winter long last winter. It was great. When the snow melted, that's when it got crappy.

I want to buy a cheap, mildly rusty Miata for the same purpose this winter, but even the rusty ones here are pricey. :( I wonder how rotary torque delivery is in the snow?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 27, 2014