Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wonder how rotary torque delivery is in the snow?

Oh boy do I have some stories for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The same as it is on pavement, non-existant!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The first annual Leduc Alberta 1000km GT Endurance race is now over. Our car placed first in GTP1 and 2nd Overall.

4 RX7's entered (all with their Doritos still intact) - 3 finished. A GSL-SE was sidelined with a dead fuel pump.

2nd, 3rd and 5th overall were all RX-7's! We would have had 1st place by 30 minutes but were in the pits replacing a fuel pump killed by deteriorating fuel cell foam.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
So, how does one get involved with the leduc 1000?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Frank Dillinger posted:

Apply for refugee status and leave Edmonton on foot.

Slung Blade's top gardening tips:
1. Whatever, just ignore that poo poo until like august or something.
2. Use a stihl with blades on it to chop down the three metre tall weeds in the bush lines and on the gravel pad where your shop sits.
3. Spray two hundred liters of round up on the driveway and fire pit gravel to kill those little creeper weeds / moss like plants.
4. Resolve to get on top of this early on next year.
5. Ignore number 4 come spring.

Seriously, I think I killed a rhubarb plant. Pretty good indication that I should just stay the gently caress away from plants.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 28, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

I drove my '91 with race pads, a defective thermostat, a leaky hard top and mismatched directional studded winter tires on an open diff all winter long last winter. It was great. When the snow melted, that's when it got crappy.

I want to buy a cheap, mildly rusty Miata for the same purpose this winter, but even the rusty ones here are pricey. :( I wonder how rotary torque delivery is in the snow?

I dunno how the laws are in ontario but in the US states just south of ontario studded tires are banned and it's pretty lame (they tear up pavement, hence the ban). Though my brother gets by just fine in his '92 miata with non-studded snow tires no problem.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Studded tires are only really good on ice anyway, and they suck on the highway, IMO.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Oh man my brother and I were out getting a new alternator for his 9-2X when we saw the most incredible things on the road. First, a Pontiac Grand Prix complete with an enormous stick-on hood scoop, portholes and more Jeff Gordon decals than if it had crashed into Hendrick Motorsports. While my brother was shooting video of that car, he caught a Mk4 Jetta spewing a smokescreen that was so enormous that it obscured both the northbound and southbound lanes of Macleod Trail.

Best parts run ever.

E: On the return back to my place, we spotted an Audi A4 cabriolet (badly) done up in an attempt to look like an R8. Calgary roads, the gift that keeps on giving! :allears:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 29, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Frank Dillinger posted:

Studded tires are only really good on ice anyway, and they suck on the highway, IMO.

The worst part of them being legal is that you hear far too many cars clickety clacking down the street mid summer.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

The Leduc 1000 is run by the NASCC, so hit up their website ( http://nascc.ab.ca/ ) or Facebook page ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/19068689376/ ). They are always looking for volunteers (corner workers, etc.)

If you want to race, you'll need a car that falls into any one of their road racing categories (GTP1,GTP2, etc) and a race license. The license schools are hosted at the beginning of the season and usually before each event. For instance, there was a race license school on July 25 for the July 26 race.

For the endurance race specifically, you would need another two drivers to enter a vehicle due to the 2 hour stint/3 driver maximum/minimum.

That's about as short of a primer on road racing in Alberta as one can muster.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

The worst part of them being legal is that you hear far too many cars clickety clacking down the street mid summer.

Actually they're only legal from October to April. Buuuut nobody really cares and I've never heard of it being enforced.
And tire tech has come to the point where you can generally get better grip out of a good studless winter tire anyway. I've run every winter tread Nokian put out between 2006 and 2012 (Kal employees get below-cost pricing on Nokian stuff, and I go through vehicles like socks) as well as a bunch of other stuff, and honestly the studs are just there to make noise. Dropping to a narrower size easily made triple the difference that studs made.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tommychu posted:

Actually they're only legal from October to April. Buuuut nobody really cares and I've never heard of it being enforced.
And tire tech has come to the point where you can generally get better grip out of a good studless winter tire anyway. I've run every winter tread Nokian put out between 2006 and 2012 (Kal employees get below-cost pricing on Nokian stuff, and I go through vehicles like socks) as well as a bunch of other stuff, and honestly the studs are just there to make noise. Dropping to a narrower size easily made triple the difference that studs made.

Working out in the patch, I don't think I ever actually saw studded tires except on personal vehicles. And even then, it was mostly the guys with icefishing shacks who would drive out onto the lake.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man, it's gonna be hot this week.

Hot for this area, anyway.

You guys doing anything fun for august long? I'm going to see if I can trick my sister into working on my car with me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

You guys doing anything fun for august long? I'm going to see if I can trick my sister into working on my car with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p3FGPCxKqM

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Eh, I love the heat...I would take this over -30 every loving time.

Also I am not hauling animals up and back to the oilsands this weekend, so I am free on Sunday. You guys aren't gonna eat me or anything, right? :ohdear:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Oh sorry, I'm hanging out with my sister all weekend. So I can't do anything.

Was just curious.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This is the Albertaest news story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/skull-mystery-emerges-from-garage-in-hinton-1.2723990

The CBC posted:

Does anyone remember a party in the late 60s or early 70s where a human skull was shown or passed around?

The question comes after the Groeneveldt family turned in a skull found while cleaning out their mother's garage. The skull was inside a plastic ice cream pail that was tucked under some other items inside the garage.

Andrew Groeneveldt heard that his father Leo, who died years ago, allegedly obtained the skull from a police officer at a party who had found it when a basement was being excavated for a house.

"My father was a volunteer fireman when I was very young and apparently in those days the firemen and the police liked to have barbecues together and socialize and sometimes they got a little bit silly as some people may do," he said.

"Apparently my father won this skull in a card game."

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If a party gets weird enough that someone bets a human skull on a poker game, I'm pretty sure nobody remembered it the next day let alone 40 years later.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Slung Blade posted:

Going to go for a day hike to Writing-on-stone and check out the old carvings vandalized remains. If I can pull it off, other than that, change the oil on the bike and car and drink beer.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Just got back from a trip to Fernie then Calgary. The 2 did well but struggled with the 50 km/h headwind through pincher creek. I got 8.3 l/100km that tank as opposed to 6.3 coming back on hwy 22.

Some observations:
1. I think at least half of the ads on highway 3 are pro life messages.
2. Highway 22 is a pretty cool drive but I could see traffic being a bit nuts.
3. I've never driven the 1A back from Canmore. I like it a lot better than just cruising on the 1.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Timmy Cruise posted:

Just got back from a trip to Fernie then Calgary. The 2 did well but struggled with the 50 km/h headwind through pincher creek. I got 8.3 l/100km that tank as opposed to 6.3 coming back on hwy 22.

Some observations:
1. I think at least half of the ads on highway 3 are pro life messages.
2. Highway 22 is a pretty cool drive but I could see traffic being a bit nuts.
3. I've never driven the 1A back from Canmore. I like it a lot better than just cruising on the 1.

1A between Canmore and CocklandCochrane is a great driving road, but the number of assholes out there speeding and generally being dangerous has brought about a very large police presence in recent years.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

MrChips posted:

1A between Canmore and CocklandCochrane is a great driving road, but the number of assholes out there speeding and generally being dangerous has brought about a very large police presence in recent years.

Traffic was light when I drove it. I was lucky enough to not see either police nor people being dumb.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The biggest problem with 1a is the god drat minivan full of people who slow down to gawk at things then speed up in the passing zones as if they're the only people in the god drat world.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's more 1A between Banff and Louise, and it's a fun drive when no one's around, but it's got a piddly limit and I think you need to buy a park pass to get on it.

762 between Bragg Creek and Millarville is good too, was completely dead when I was out there last week.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

The biggest problem with every cocksucking road west of the 22 is the god drat minivan full of people who slow down to gawk at things then speed up in the passing zones as if they're the only people in the god drat world.

Fixed.

The Smith-Dorrien is a nice drive too, but it doesn't really go anywhere except spray. And it's gravel so I always come home with a tan car.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Anything exciting going on in Lethbridge? Here for awhile staying with my grandparents and doing some work around the house.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This is why we can't have nice things.

The biggest bits were maybe quarter sized, but they were hard and clear, and coming down fast. I can't see any dents in the vehicles right now, but they're still wet so they might not show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05G_HPetfi8

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
On the plus side, my quest for a cheap 2.3 2WD shortcab stickshift Ranger just got a lot easier.

"FS BUSTED rear end WORK TRUCK $4000 OBO FIRM"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The storm airdrie got would have written off most rangers like that.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Heh, guess my Festiva got hit hard in the storm. Oh no what shall I do.
I was debating parting/scrapping it, I guess I'll decide its fate based on how bad the damage is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

Anything exciting going on in Lethbridge? Here for awhile staying with my grandparents and doing some work around the house.

Uh, no. Wanna go get drunk?

e: Which end of town are you staying?
double e: Big town you know

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 8, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Summerinalberta.jpg

these are airdrie.

How long until they start handing out tickets for not shoveling.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 8, 2014

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

slidebite posted:

Uh, no. Wanna go get drunk?

e: Which end of town are you staying?
double e: Big town you know

North side, just off 13th st/9th ave. Will probably go get some drinks with my sister at some point this weekend. Went and saw xmen by myself tonight.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
This thread's title is so much better after having read the wiki article on the man.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

North side, just off 13th st/9th ave. Will probably go get some drinks with my sister at some point this weekend. Went and saw xmen by myself tonight.
Uplands myself, I go up/down corner of 9th @ 13th daily.

Too bad you saw the movie stag, Mrs. Slidebite and I were going to go to that as well and probably would have joined you.

I'll fire you a PM.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Have you guys gone and seen Guardians yet? You could (and should) see that instead of X-Mans.

Das Volk posted:

This thread's title is so much better after having read the wiki article on the man.
I am so glad someone looked. :)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If any of you guys want to escape to Vancouver where it's currently mid 20's C and not hailing deathballs let me know and I'll get you AI drunk.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Might be out there in sept.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yeah, but the cost of living there restricts you to owning a Geo Metro. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Have you guys gone and seen Guardians yet? You could (and should) see that instead of X-Mans.

I thought xmen was pretty decent, especially compared to the last few. Plus it was at the cheap theatre so it was like $10 with snacks. I would go see guardians.