Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So, I went to Kijiji trying to see if anyone locally had a cheap patio heater they were trying to get rid of.

gently caress me. The *only* thing that came up was sponsored ads, 99% Wayfair with a smattering of bestbuy in the banner ads. No ads from humans at all that I could see and no filters I could see.

Is there a way to see "real" ads or has Kijiji totally poo poo the bed just like you expect them to? I can't believe in an area of the entirety of Alberta south of Calgary nobody has a patio heater for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Kijiji is dying compared to Facebook marketplace, but they also frequently have search failures or listing problems now. Try changing the order of words in your query (yes, really) and see if the results change.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ugh - thanks for letting me know. I'll play around with it. Patio Heater turned up 435 results and every. single. one. was a sponsored ad from Wayfair or something.

No loving way am I going to join facebook for classifieds. I hate them more than ebay, and I absolutely loathe ebay.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Kijiji has turned into poo poo. FB marketplace is beyond broken with your search functions and it's vehicle listing stuff is just :argh:

eBay is the embodiment of evil and chock full of poo poo if you don't use the '-bs' search modifier, and even then.... And Craigslist doesn't really exist up here, autotrader is filled with olds, and there isn't a single used online market that's worth a drat.

I hope someone proves me wrong :(

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I feel like the used.ca sites might pick up in popularity soon, as they have out west.
Or at least, I hope so. The search is a touch clunky but there's almost no bullshit and the RSS works way better than anyone else's.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Turbo Fondant posted:

I feel like the used.ca sites might pick up in popularity soon, as they have out west.
Or at least, I hope so. The search is a touch clunky but there's almost no bullshit and the RSS works way better than anyone else's.

They're much easier to scrape, so fingers crossed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
A tragedy in three parts

How bad is going to get? We were supposed to get 40-80cm of snow last week but ended up with 25cm and an extra long Easter weekend. I'm relieved but also kind of mad we didn't end up with a snowpocalypse, I don't know what that says about me.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I'm relieved but also kind of mad we didn't end up with a snowpocalypse, I don't know what that says about me.

:same:

There was some chatter about another Colorado low but it seems like it'll be rain rather than snow.

This latest dump I've just given up and will let mother nature clear the snow herself.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually had to dig my car out to get traction this morning, that hasn't happened for a long time - usually my snows and letting the lsd go to work are enough

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a website to get a spitball wholesale/dealer trade in value on a car without jumping through a bunch of hoops/registering and then having to fend off car salesman?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's KBB.ca but they're numbers can be pretty fucky on less common stuff.

Also, Diesel was 179.9 Today. 20 cents higher than before the fuel tax went away and the oil price was $20 higher. 5 cents a liter more than premium gas.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, KBB is better than nothing.

Reason being, a friend of mine has a 2018 Lexus RC AWD. I know zero about those cars and the little bit of research they seem to be a somewhat underwhelming car, but he was just going to have Lexus give him trade in value for it because he never drives it. I think he has a whopping 7K on it. If I can get it for a reasonable enough $$ (trying to see what trade in/wholesale is) I *might* consider it for replacing our 2011 Legacy that we bought new.

I'm guessing $40K-ish?

TBH, I'm not sure if we should even consider gas for our next ""highway" car, or primarily for the wife when I'm not around.

This would be in addition to the company owned work truck and 911 which is purely a toy car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Is there a website to get a spitball wholesale/dealer trade in value on a car without jumping through a bunch of hoops/registering and then having to fend off car salesman?

VMRCanada is my go to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

There's KBB.ca but they're numbers can be pretty fucky on less common stuff.

Also, Diesel was 179.9 Today. 20 cents higher than before the fuel tax went away and the oil price was $20 higher. 5 cents a liter more than premium gas.

It was funny visiting Edmonton recently and noticing that the gas prices are exactly 13 cents cheaper there than here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

VMRCanada is my go to.

Thanks I like that one. For what its worth at least.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I helped my nephew buy a $1500 truck.

The base insurance grid rate is $1,748 for liability, and he has driver training which takes him 3 steps down on the grid to -15%, so $1,489.

He's getting quoted $2500-2600 a year, because they then tack on a MANDATORY DCPD charge to repair or replace the truck if someone hits him.

They are charging $1000+ a year in case they have to pay him out $1500 for a not-at-fault accident that writes off the truck.

The risk and therefore cost associated with being a younger driver shouldn't increase the risk of being entirely not at fault in an accident. Am i crazy?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Does the auto insurance also cover medical stuff, or even if he hits something else (sure his truck is totaled but what about the other guy?) It's not always just about the item in question but everything that can be damaged by it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Does the auto insurance also cover medical stuff, or even if he hits something else (sure his truck is totaled but what about the other guy?) It's not always just about the item in question but everything that can be damaged by it.

No, medical and injuries are still covered by the other driver's liability coverage.

DCPD only covers repairing your vehicle when you are hit by an at-fault driver. If you are determined to be 50% at fault, it only covers 50% of the cost of repairs.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Well that sounds like a load of poo poo :(

I should also probably read up on dpcd as I also live in Alberta

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh, my insurance premium hardly changed at all this year, like less than inflation. My home actually went down.

Are all of them similar for him?

I know young males get turbo hosed, but that sounds fishy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

slidebite posted:

Huh, my insurance premium hardly changed at all this year, like less than inflation. My home actually went down.

Are all of them similar for him?

I know young males get turbo hosed, but that sounds fishy.

I need to go check the numbers for our stuff because it *looks* high atm but I have to admit I haven't looked at what it used to be.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

How's everyone's summer shaping up?

Any car shows?

There's a pretty large (at least it should be) Mazda Rotary car show at the Red Deer Regional Airport on August 13.

https://facebook.com/events/s/rotary-resurgence/2730567167252265/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Been sick, poo poo sucks.

The new race track by Carstairs opened up. $45k membership, $3,500 a year fees, and they have the balls to ask for volunteers for stuff.

The NIMBYs kind of won because i guess the sound limits are so strict we'll never see any actual racing on it and with the shape of the track, laguna pipes won't help.

https://rockymotorsports.com/

There's a guy running public bike track days, maybe soon someone will get one going for cars. Non-members are limited to 3 days a year.

Laguna Seca was 90dBA at 50ft. RMM is 95dBA at 15m.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 28, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lethbridge had the big flagship "street wheelers" festival a couple weeks back. Like usual, I stayed away. The car show at the main park downtown can be kinda neat but the moron-o-rama of idiots on the road all weekend wears thin. The cops are literally running non-stop getting mouthbreathers that think a public road is a track or teenaged boys who think anyone other than themselves like the sound of their 2004 corolla with fart cans.

Powershift posted:

The new race track by Carstairs opened up. $45k membership, $3,500 a year fees, and they have the balls to ask for volunteers for stuff.
Nice. It's a pretty good business model if they can get away with it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ruh roh

The original warned storm that passed over rocky fizzled out before it got here, but a second started up near Caroline. Looks like it's going south of the City.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I work on a rig near Rocky. Company man asked me if I had a plan in place if the tornado got serious.

I said we'd grab belts, lanyards and tie off to the bops and sing Kumbaya.

He seemed to think I was joking.

Fortunately we saw nothing serious, but a tong hand that lives nearby had a piece of hail go through the windshield of his fox body.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The storm just jogged south at the last minute, but we were ~5km away from half of the city being destroyed.

https://twitter.com/RyanVoutilainen/status/1554262390815870976

We've had severe thunderstorm warnings/watches for like 2 weeks straight. It's starting to wear on me.

Old Balls McGee posted:

I work on a rig near Rocky. Company man asked me if I had a plan in place if the tornado got serious.

I said we'd grab belts, lanyards and tie off to the bops and sing Kumbaya.

He seemed to think I was joking.

Fortunately we saw nothing serious, but a tong hand that lives nearby had a piece of hail go through the windshield of his fox body.

I would imagine if one ever hit a rig crew, we would need anchored tornado shelters on the edge of every pad for the next 20 years to add to the safety theatre.

It would be terrifying being out on some of those locations in the middle of that, because it would take a week to get the trees off the road to get in or out.

I wonder if there's a contingency on the books for rig crews to clear helicopter landings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ man. I heard about that last night. 4+ inch hail is no joke.

Red Deer always seems to get nailed. The insurance claims out of this will be interesting.

Glad you seem unscathed, it would wear on me too.

e:
Here's another one
https://twitter.com/MattBear3135/status/1554322644006105090?s=20&t=X5iWZUj7r_mRcG3m_5E3LA

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 3, 2022

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Powershift posted:

We've had severe thunderstorm warnings/watches for like 2 weeks straight. It's starting to wear on me.

I would imagine if one ever hit a rig crew, we would need anchored tornado shelters on the edge of every pad for the next 20 years to add to the safety theatre.

It would be terrifying being out on some of those locations in the middle of that, because it would take a week to get the trees off the road to get in or out.

I wonder if there's a contingency on the books for rig crews to clear helicopter landings.

Well, we'd get one sorted out. We always have a STARS site, assuming they would still be able to land nearby. As long as they were operation, the track hoe or loader would be used.

I would guess most guys would book it down the lease road rather than shelter. We don't really have a lot of options I suppose. Our pump houses weight just north of 90000lbs without tools and spare parts. That's the heaviest enclosed space we have. It sounds like an F-5 tornado wouldn't have trouble moving those along. The BOPs are bolted down to 600m of cemented surface casing though...

AI Chat:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pretty decent auto body shop in Edmonton? North Side preferably. Looks like I'll have to get the front quarters changed and colour matched, as well as change the 11 yo windshield. A quick google suggests Cougar Paint and Collision but I don't know. A co-worker who used to do body work in Manitoba just said stay away from chains.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Old Balls McGee posted:

AI Chat:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pretty decent auto body shop in Edmonton? North Side preferably. Looks like I'll have to get the front quarters changed and colour matched, as well as change the 11 yo windshield. A quick google suggests Cougar Paint and Collision but I don't know. A co-worker who used to do body work in Manitoba just said stay away from chains.

I've used Shoppers Auto Refinishers twice over the past 12 years and always had a great experience.

I also have heard nothing but good things about Cougar Paint and Collision. Never used them though.

Both are on the Yellowhead oddly enough.

Edit: If you're not the one paying for it and really want OCD levels of quality. Modern Autobody on the northwest end of Edmonton is excellent.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

Shoppers Auto Refinishers

Thanks, I'll get ahold of them and see about a quote. I'll swing by Cougar as well

McTinkerson posted:

Edit: If you're not the one paying for it and really want OCD levels of quality. Modern Autobody on the northwest end of Edmonton is excellent.

It is out of pocket unfortunately. I would like that quality but A) it's lost on a truck going down oilfield roads and B) I just put a reman engine in my JD 6400. poo poo's not cheap.

I bought this truck new in 2010 and decided I'd drive it until the wheels fall off or it becomes completely uneconomical to fix. I don't need to spend a mint fixing body stuff, but I do need to put enough in to keep from being too loving embarrassed.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This is the annual reminder that Canada is one year away from being able to legally import these:

Lambo V10 Wagons

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also the Mitsuoka Himiko!

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/MITSUOKA/HIMIKO/700040359230210328003/index.html

When i was first daydreaming about Clio V6s, they were 30k euros, now they're all up to 70k

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 26, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was 16 degrees on October 30th. Record snow on the ground here is 21cm in 2013.

You couldn't even tell i had stairs from the porch, it just looked like a smooth ramp.

We had some nasty wind pretty much the whole time i was snowing. parts of my yard were bare, others are 3' deep.

I've run a full tank of gas through the snowblower.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 8, 2022

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

:drat:
I thought we got a pretty good dump here but nothing like that lol.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Nitro Rallycross is coming to Calgary February 4 & 5, 2023.

Weekend package tickets are $64. I just bought mine.

https://www.nitrorallycross.com/calgary

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good ol southern alberta, where a 40C temp swing inside a few days is totally normal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We don't get the plus Temps, but

-50 ice fog!

I'm already completely done with winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah no poo poo. Woke up today, 15C warmer than when I went to bed and now see the forecast is calling for rain early next week LMAO

What a loving mess it's going to be. Glad I have next week off.