Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Yeah no kidding.

What about an 220v plug (or 2) In the garage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Make sure they pour the pad for the garage extra thick so you can install a lift later :pervert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GrantC posted:

Well, our Aug. 26 event turned out to be double booked at the track... So some rich dudes paid thousands for an "experience" on the track we were trying to run an autox on... And Ryan Tuerck and Chris Forsberg were filming an episode of Tuerck'd on the skidpad about Rob Parson's hand controls drift car.

So, once we'd setup on the track, then torn down, then moved to the skidpad to watch the drifters who were "15 minutes from being done" all the way until sunset it was done...

So, in partial compensation, we got a full day from the track this Sunday Aug. 31.

http://www.karelo.com/register.php?BID=92&BT=10&Ev=14574

"Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. We'll insist you're securely buckled up & not just on the edge of your seat."

The episode is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wd5YV97ftU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Whelp, it's officially snowed in the Edmonton area. Got the winters on the RX-8 just in time. If you see a RX-8 driving around with colour mismatched super advans this winter, wave! I'm also curious to see how my Grabber AT2's on the wrangler are going to hold up in the snow & ice. That snow flake rating better not be a lie.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I had to get rid of my Mini. It don't fit kids. :(

But I did get to pick up a new Volvo! :)

Featuring seamless hepatitis!

...I should not be this excited about a station wagon.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

McTinkerson posted:

I'm also curious to see how my Grabber AT2's on the wrangler are going to hold up in the snow & ice. That snow flake rating better not be a lie.

I've had the grabbers before, best used as a light offroading tire, decent in snow because of the deep tread, terrible on ice since there's no sipping or grooves for ice. On the positive side they're a hell of a lot of fun to do awd drifts since the grip was really linear and easy to control how much slip you get out of them with the throttle.

I've usually had them on for spring and fall, once the snow started really falling I'd switch to winters.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

McTinkerson posted:

Whelp, it's officially snowed in the Edmonton area. Got the winters on the RX-8 just in time. If you see a RX-8 driving around with colour mismatched super advans this winter, wave! I'm also curious to see how my Grabber AT2's on the wrangler are going to hold up in the snow & ice. That snow flake rating better not be a lie.

I'm putting my winters on this Thursday, was hoping to make it to November, but now that the temps aren't getting above 10 anymore, time to switch them out.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I was going to throw mine on this week (dragged them out of my dad's shed on Sunday), but I want to do my rear brakes at the same time and the only place with non-whitebox drums in stock is B2B. They're open the exact hours I work :argh:

Albino Squirrel posted:

Why shouldn't you be? Wagons are the best.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 29, 2014

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Albino Squirrel posted:

I had to get rid of my Mini. It don't fit kids. :(

But I did get to pick up a new Volvo! :)

Featuring seamless hepatitis!

I don't know if I'm in a position to demand a thread or not. I must know more.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

I just got my winters on my MS3 today, got a little nervous when it was coming down heavy the other night.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

This is really awesome.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

McTinkerson posted:

I don't know if I'm in a position to demand a thread or not. I must know more.
Know more about the Volvo? I can answer your questions about it, but I don't think it merits a whole thread!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Which submodel is it? T5 or T6 engine? AWD? How's the power band? If you have the AWD system, how do you like it (assuming you've driven other mfg's)? More pictures (maybe in the wagon thread)! I came very very close to trading my wrangler in for a Polestar V60 this year.

UnFriendly Fire
Jun 19, 2003
not friendly
I just traded in my Genesis on a new WRX. Now I just need to get through the next few days on the stock summer tires. In Edmonton. :(

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

Any of you have experience with a hose heater instead of a regular block heater? Or one of those immersion tank circulating deals? I want to up my heating capacity this winter so my car warms up faster. Considered an oil pan heater, but I've heard they carry a fire risk, and I park in a garage at home.

Almost all newer car engines lack frost plugs because of how casting techniques have improved, which means they have contact heaters instead, and those are quite poo poo. If you want about equivalent performance with an old block heater, get a hose heater.

Some companies try to push oil heaters as the best things, since it heats "the whole engine instead of just the water" and poo poo like that, but thanks to how oil transmits heat (not very well compared to water) they are also a lot less effective than a hose heater.

EDIT: A swedish car magazine did this test in the latest issue.

Slangvärmare = Hose heater.
Kontaktvärmare = Contact heater.
Olja = oil temp down in the pan, at the tip of the dipstick.
Topplock V H = cylinder head temp, left and right.

This after three hours with respective heater, after the car was kept at -20 for 10 hours before plugging them in. All temps in celsius.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 30, 2014

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

UnFriendly Fire posted:

I just traded in my Genesis on a new WRX. Now I just need to get through the next few days on the stock summer tires. In Edmonton. :(

You'll be fine, highs well above zero all week.

Then again, itching to try out my new Yokohama Iceguards on some real snow.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Shoota_McG posted:

You'll be fine, highs well above zero all week.

Then again, itching to try out my new Yokohama Iceguards on some real snow.

I put on my winter tires today and feel the same way. gently caress the snow, lets find some dirt roads and go rallying

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

neckbeard posted:

I put on my winter tires today and feel the same way. gently caress the snow, lets find some dirt roads and go rallying

This is always a good idea.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

There's nothing more fun than going out in the snow in a RWD car on snow tires, laughing at all the shitheads in Super Doodies who've fallen off the road because their 26" Nitto Terra Grapplers are worn to the cords and they can't afford to replace them (because they just bought another big screen TV).

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

McTinkerson posted:

Which submodel is it? T5 or T6 engine? AWD? How's the power band? If you have the AWD system, how do you like it (assuming you've driven other mfg's)? More pictures (maybe in the wagon thread)! I came very very close to trading my wrangler in for a Polestar V60 this year.
It's the T5 AWD. Acceleration is smooth as heck and the handling is great. I guess the best thing I can say about it is that every aspect of the car, from the gadgets to the ride to the interior space, is really superbly competently done.

My decision came down to the 328xd, the A4, and the Volvo - the Volvo just offered the best combination of features at a better price (the BMW wagon was like $12K more expensive!), and came from a dealership that I didn't loathe. Also Sweden is probably the closest thing to Alberta, climate-wise, where they make cars.

Edit: also, there's a wagon thread?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Almost all newer car engines lack frost plugs because of how casting techniques have improved, which means they have contact heaters instead, and those are quite poo poo. If you want about equivalent performance with an old block heater, get a hose heater.

Some companies try to push oil heaters as the best things, since it heats "the whole engine instead of just the water" and poo poo like that, but thanks to how oil transmits heat (not very well compared to water) they are also a lot less effective than a hose heater.

EDIT: A swedish car magazine did this test in the latest issue.

Slangvärmare = Hose heater.
Kontaktvärmare = Contact heater.
Olja = oil temp down in the pan, at the tip of the dipstick.
Topplock V H = cylinder head temp, left and right.

This after three hours with respective heater, after the car was kept at -20 for 10 hours before plugging them in. All temps in celsius.

So....hose heater, coolant gets toasty, but oil stays cool, and with the contact heater the oil gets toasty but the coolant stays frosty. Am I right to thing that having your coolant warm will get the oil warmer faster than the oil having to warm the block and coolant? Also, lately I've been checking out webasto and espar fuel fired heaters, those look like the cats rear end. I can pick one up on German ebay for about 300€ for one from a scrapped late model car. Sweetest thing is the units can be set up to turn on your heater fan once the coolant is warm, which gets your interior nice and comfy. Way, way more complicated and expensive than an electric setup though, with a side of potential to set something on fire.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Frank Dillinger posted:

So....hose heater, coolant gets toasty, but oil stays cool, and with the contact heater the oil gets toasty but the coolant stays frosty. Am I right to thing that having your coolant warm will get the oil warmer faster than the oil having to warm the block and coolant? Also, lately I've been checking out webasto and espar fuel fired heaters, those look like the cats rear end. I can pick one up on German ebay for about 300€ for one from a scrapped late model car. Sweetest thing is the units can be set up to turn on your heater fan once the coolant is warm, which gets your interior nice and comfy. Way, way more complicated and expensive than an electric setup though, with a side of potential to set something on fire.

Modern fuel-fired Webastos/Espars are actually really drat safe when installed properly, but they're an absolute oval office to install in a car. And they need some maintenance to work well on the long term.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

I had a 1.8t Audi that came to me with a oil pan heater that worked somewhat but it was so much better after I put in a 750w heater in the coolant line going to the oil cooler. Keep in mind that most oil pan heaters are 125-150 watts or so whereas you can get a 1000 watt immersion heater.

To me the best is having both tied to one plug in.

You had to watch though as if you didn't plug it in long enough (I.e. ~1 hour at -20 ish) the coolant temp sensor would think it was warm and it would start easily.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Saw this last night in downtown Edmonton

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Homeless spikes to keep the homeless from sleeping on your hood.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Also the cow catcher bumper for plowing the hordes of unemployed off the streets.

It's snowed 10cm here and my power's been out since 9:30. I hear the crows nest pass is getting hosed hard too.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 246 days!)

is that just melded into the plastic bumper?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Viggen posted:

is that just melded into the plastic bumper?

Nope, its an aluminum, probably an Ali Arc. http://www.aliarc.com/products/?sect=pickups_2&brand_id=10

Not cheap. They're pretty much the standard moose bumper for Semi trucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hey, how about that 18*c yesterday.

oh look, -26*c monday night.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Hey, how about that 18*c yesterday.

oh look, -26*c monday night.

Hey hey compared to last week our jobs are more like vacations now!

Boo mud, Yay frozen mud!

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
And everybody I know is on a tropical vacation!

Drove around quite a bit today, the new Yokohama IceGuards work great on the wife's CR-V, didn't get to try the ones on my Mazdaspeed3 yet. Had to actually scrape off the windshield today, I forgot how much I hate that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Hey hey compared to last week our jobs are more like vacations now!

Boo mud, Yay frozen mud!

Until they load you up with water then tell you to wait a few hours to unload

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Watched some people slipping and sliding around downtown this afternoon. Being me, I was loving kicking the rear end out a bit when it was a clear road. As much as I want a RWD machine, there are times I do like my AWD.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

It will be twenty degrees well into November.

Mark my words well, gentlemen.

Fuckin' :lol:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

You got the twenty degrees part right, just not the sign in front of it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Around here at least, it was "pleasant autumn" (so, daytime highs in the mid-to-high teens) for the first week of this month, then straight into "definately winter" (-10 or colder, with periodic -8 on "nice" days) a week ago.

Does November 5 count as "Well into November"?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

You must have meant 20 Kelvin, right?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone tell me a good place to get a Bluetooth transponder for my odb2 port ? I want to run Torque or whatever on my ghetto dash mounted android tablet.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Can anyone tell me a good place to get a Bluetooth transponder for my odb2 port ? I want to run Torque or whatever on my ghetto dash mounted android tablet.

knowing local stores, they'd charge you $120 to order the $20 adapter off amazon for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jonathan posted:

I bought one of these from Amazon a few months back, but I haven't used it yet so I can't say if its any good or not.

http://www.amazon.ca/DoDoCool-Bluet...=obd2+bluetooth