Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sometimes I miss living in Alberta. Not often, but sometimes. This thread makes me want to visit more often and go drinking in random shithole AB towns (anybody ever gotten wasted in Drumheller? Pincher Creek? Black Diamond? I got a good buzz on drinking Paralyzers mixed by a 16-year-old in WestLock last year).

Another Saskatchaweiner checking in. We can see the fires set by drunken Newfies in Fort McNowhere on a clear day, thanks to the endless flat empty flat boring flat cold flat windy wasteland in all directions.

And I have a pic from Mr. Gulinao, too.

EDIT: I tried to attach the pic, did it work?

I don't think it worked. Imgur to the rescue:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

:siren: New truck for SSSwitch found. :siren:

Is that a unicorn hood ornament?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
People showing up at race events with excellent race cars but refusing to put them on the track pisses me off unreasonably.

The worst, because he was genuinely a pretty decent and friendly guy, was the dude who showed up to a couple of events a couple of years ago in his brand-new BMW 6-series. He kept going up to people and saying

:haw: How much do you think that car cost me? *points at 6-er*
:) Uh, I dunno. Maybe $60K?
:haw: A HUNDRED BUCKS! Not a hundred-thousand, a hundred!
:) What?
:haw: I WON IT! One of those charity dinners my wife dragged me to!

Then he'd offer a million variations on the same tired-out excuse: "My wife would kill me if I damaged it by racing"
It's a loving race car. Race the drat thing.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Apparently there's been snow in parts of Saskatchewan, just not in Toontown or rhymes-with-fun.

\/\/\/ pretty much, yeah.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 10, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Albino Squirrel posted:

Holy crap, an Alberta thread! I'm in Edmonton, and drive an '07 Mini... which I have to replace because now I have a kid. I've been looking at a few German (and Swedish) smallish sedans, but this leads me to a couple of questions:

1) The Mini wouldn't start below -25°C, until I got an aftermarket oil pan heater put on it. Bastards told me the unheated oil was good until -50 but I'm betting it doesn't exactly get that cold in Bavaria. I'm a little apprehensive about buying another vehicle without some kind of heater, like most of the Germans - does anyone have stories of functional 3-series, A4s, or S60s in -40 weather?

2) Any recommendations on service/repair shops that work with German (or Swedish) cars? Because man, gently caress dealing with the dealership any more than is necessary.
I never had a problem starting my BMW 1996 328is, plugged in or not. 35 degrees below zero (standing air temperature, none of this "windchill" BS) was the coldest I ever drove that car in, it started no problem though it helps to move the gear shift through the full range of gears with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor just after you start it - gear oil gets gooey at those temperatures. Presumably newer 3-series are even better, as long as the battery is in good shape. Any car that has trouble starting in the cold I'd say replace the battery, it makes a huge difference.

Mine had a block heater from the factory as far as I can tell, where did you buy your Mini that it didn't have one? When I lived in Victoria I got the occassional weird look when I talked about plugging in a car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

My inlaws are getting well into senior-hood and moving back to Canada. The just bought a beautiful lot in town and doing a custom build home so they're asking for input since, well, we'll probably be inheriting it in the coming decade(s) if we still live here.

"Hey, we're moving back to your area, and since we're old and probably we'll die soon, might as well get your opinions on some things for this house that we'll never use but you might!"

That must have been a slightly odd conversation with your inlaws.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Around here at least, it was "pleasant autumn" (so, daytime highs in the mid-to-high teens) for the first week of this month, then straight into "definately winter" (-10 or colder, with periodic -8 on "nice" days) a week ago.

Does November 5 count as "Well into November"?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
"This province is the rear end in a top hat of the world!"
Yup, this is pretty accurate. And I love the parts about hanging yourself. The drop gets real short when you fall into that snowdrift, though, which just makes you more depressed and now you've got rope burns on your neck, too.

I walk across the Train Bridge every day here, and

Wikipedia posted:

the bridge is one of the most well known suicide spots in Saskatoon.
though I've never seen a person I thought was going for it. I've seen kids sitting on the outside of the railing, or one the little platforms outside the railing, but they always struck me as "gotta show the world how I don't give a gently caress" rather than "gonna jump". And either there are relatively few jumpers or the news is good at suppressing the stories to avoid copy-cat suicides because the wiki article is the only place I've seen that bridge and suicide mentioned together.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
taint?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Siochain posted:

loving Bunnyhugs. Its a hoodie, guys, its a loving hoodie.

I agree with you, being from Ontario & Alberta (born, grew up, respectively) but you don't have to convince me, you have to convince all of these people:

and they don't look very willing to listen to anyone who voluntarily chose to move to Onterrible.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've been in Saskatoon for 5 years, I've heard "bunny hug" many, many times and I drink lots of chocolate milk and related beverages. I've never heard of Vi-Co.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Saskatoon's weather report was EXTREME COLD ALERT this morning when it was -31 but windchill was lower than -40; the ALERT was cancelled by mid-day when I looked and the "feels like" was -39.

I think they use a calculated windchill of -40 or colder as their threshold for "don't go outside unless you have to".

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

iv46vi posted:

Oh, I sold my Canyon last week. It stopped starting, so on Kijiji it went just past midnight. First thing next morning someone bought it sight unseen over the phone. No, really.

A guy from SK showed up with a trailer, gave me cash, tried to start it but the engine went POP and sounded very different afterwards. So the guy single handedly muscled the Canyon onto the trailer with a couple of chains, never seen that done before. The easiest car sale in my life.

He's from Saskatchewan - normal procedure is
A. Use the truck! Chevy, Ford, Dodge (and more recently Toyota). If the first one gets stuck, get another one and pull on that. Obligatory Corb Lund Video
B. Use a tractor! Go to the nearest farm, get the tractor, pull.
C. Don't have another truck, don't have a tractor? Grab them chains and Git 'Er Done!
and finally
D. Die of old age at the ripe old age of 66. Blame the bank.

slidebite posted:

Sorry, but trolling kijiji found another one. $12K Maserati.

quote:

a light engine rebuild
Better idea: buy it, ship it to Seattle, give it to 13" and watch the fireworks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

It's a shame the exchange rate is offsetting the fuel price drop at the grocery store. I only took a hand basket, how the gently caress is that $150 worth of poo poo?

You live in Alberta, and you don't have a "I :love: ALBERTA BEEF" bumpersticker? You're buying imported food instead of supporting lifted-pickup-driving Canadian farmers? What kind of pinko are you?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I seem to recall that VelociBacon has one in Vancouver, and he takes it up to Whistler or the Interior at least some of the time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Whenever I go wandering through Wikipedia for old military vehicles, they always strike me as drastically underpowered. The Ferret shows up as 3.7 tonnes, with a 130hp straight-6 gasoline engine. It was designed in 1949 so I guess lots of stuff from that era would be very underpowered compared to modern cars (a silly comparison, I know, but at the moment we're talking about somebody using a vehicle like that for a weekend drive-to-the-forest kind of ride. I'm giggling at the prospect of strapping my GF's 17.5 foot canoe onto the turret). The wiki for the Ferret says there's a common upgrade to the Austin Princess 4-litre-R (aside: we lived in England when I was 10-12 years old, and my father's commuter was an Austin Princess in a toasted-vomit shade of orange that presumably had some crappy 4-banger under the hood. Horrible car, completely unrelated to the Rolls Royce that engine was put in) that adds 55hp, so you're driving around most of 4 tonnes with less than 200hp.

Do modern military vehicles have power-to-weight ratios closer to (heavily loaded) consumer pickup trucks? Do people who buy Iltisii or Ferrets or whatever ever try to upgrade to something with some serious power? There is a huge variety of high-power diesels that Ford/Chrysler/GM have been stuffing into pickup trucks and SUVs for long enough that crate motors or second-hand engines are cheap and widely available, is it totally unreasonable to think about putting, say, a Cummings Turbo Diesel into something like a Ferret?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
08 is brand-new as far as I'm concerned.

Add a decade to the age, and get something GOOD for $5K.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My e36 - a 1996 328is - cost exactly $5K about three years ago. I loved that car, hence "GOOD". It's dead now, I miss her.

Mid-to-late 90's, I like OBDII so 1996 or later, from any manufacturer that strikes your fancy. Luxo-barges, SUVs, itty-bitty subcompacts, "compact executive sedans", rice-rockets, anything can be found for $5K.

We probably do have rather different ideas of what makes a good car a good car, but I bet you could find something that will put a smile on your face if you have a poke around that half-decade.

Kijiji conveniently has a quick-search category "cars under $5000"
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/alberta/convertible__coupe__hatchback__other+body+type__sedan__wagon/c174l9003a138?price=__5000

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrChips posted:

Well you might not be in the market for a couch on wheels, but our esteemed premier was! He bought himself a '56 Thunderbird over the weekend at Barrett-Jackson, ticking yet another box on the "Are You the Tinpot Dictator of a Third-World Shithole?" questionnaire.
The box he ticked was in the "no" column, then. Tinpot Dictators in the Third World drive around in big ol' Mercedes. Always. :colbert:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

Ontario on the whole seems to like him for some reason though. I cannot figure that out at all, I thought you guys used to at least be a moderate center type area back in the nineties. What happened?

Several years ago The Economist pointed out that historically Canadian voters like to put their Provincial and Federal governments at odds with each other. When the Feds are Liberals, most provinces tend to elect Conservatives, and vice-versa. Which explains why Ontario elected the first openly gay provincial premier at their last election. Kind of a balance thing, I guess.

Not described by The Economist, but we also seem to like to elect municipal governments that compete for title of "most corrupt" and "most insane". Ford is the obvious poster child, but the number of pending criminal cases against mayors of Canadian cities strongly suggests we vote for city governments that will provide entertaining antics to distract from the boring drudgery of the provincial - federal fighting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

UnFriendly Fire posted:

We're already getting told at work that the "satisfaction of working for the public good" is part of our compensation.
Holy poo poo that's awful. The day I get told some bullshit line like that is the day I work out my plan to swindle an entire government out of 0.1% of their annual budget. And it won't be PEI.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Timmy Cruise posted:

I saw an R33 Skyline today in Saskatoon. First one I've seen here. I find it kind of funny that people run a car with potentially JDM only parts on it in the winter.
That's awesome. I've never seen one in this province outside of the car show in the summer when some people showed up with showroom queens. There was very little on display that had actually been driven.

My dream is to DD all drat year a Skyline, either R32 or R33. Treat your suspension like wear parts and replace everything from the springs down every two years. :toot:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Eau de MacGowan posted:

How feasible is a mustang or other similar rear wheel drive muscle/sports car in winter in calgary?

What the two above me said.

I had a BMW 328 (RWD, more power than I needed, lots of fun) and with decent winter tires it was fine. People who are afraid to drive their own drat cars get no respect from me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

What are people's experience ordering from rockauto into Canada ? Some searches say brokerage and shipping etc are all included in the price. I need some u-joints, ball joints etc.
I ordered around $250 worth of things for my e36 (RIP) a couple of years ago. No problems that I can recall. If the Canadian side of the trip was handled by UPS it was probably a horrible shitshow that I've suppressed the memory of, but I have a feeling it was FedEx ground, who are lovely people and very professional.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was at our local autocross club's big year-ender regionals a couple of years ago and our local Porshe-driving successful businessman / racer had a hankering for donairs. For some reason, this wealthy Type-A person felt insecure just driving by himself to his favourite place, so I agreed to go with him.

You do NOT want to spill " Tzatziki with a hefty shot of hot sauce" anywhere on the interior of a $140K 997 GT2; this is made more difficult by the driver's baffling habit of being chronically late despite always having somewhere north of 500 hp to work with.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bajaha posted:

Barakas in Winnipeg is outstanding. Best place to get donair, falafel, shawarma, or kebab. It's phenomenal, and their garlic sauce is to die for. I assure you, they do it the proper traditional way.

The lamb kabob is a symphony of flavors, one of my favorites from there. Seriously, if any goon is visiting this frozen hellhole, stop by barakas for some amazing food, it's worth it.

:argh: NOW you tell me! I was in Winterpeg last week, I'd have gone to Barakas if I'd had any idea.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

neckbeard posted:

Half of BC's population is in the Lower Mainland, so a good percentage have no regular experience in mountain/real winter driving

This. When I lived in Vancouver I got a special shot of schadenfreude whenever it snowed, watching idiots spin and crash all over the city.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Frank Dillinger posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/running-driving-stopping-old-70-galaxie-ragtop/1054354908?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

it would be a pretty bad idea to buy this solely for the purpose of driving it to BC for an extended camping/road trip, right? right?

edit: nnnnnggghhhh and there's like three Lincoln Continentals near me for less than two grand. always wanted a huge V8 car, just for kicks. my sidewalk parking spot was looking kind of empty anyway.

Top down in the snow for photos, engine running so you can see the smoke - I like this seller's style!

quote:

First $1800.00 cash or trade up, down or across
Buy this car, and throw in another $10 to get the seller a membership here.

Powershift posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-rolls-royce-silver-spur/1054958414

looks like it's going unreserved this saturday.

you know you want it.

This is glorious.

EDIT: A quick google leads me to think the Rolls will sell for $20K-$30K.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 4, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Nothing has ever sold for $30k at regal. I would think it'll go for 10-12 tops.
I just asked a question in the BFC-meets-AI thread about putting together $8K for a car in Onterrible (I'm moving there in a few weeks). You are NOT HELPING with the treacherous part of my brain that thinks one Alberta-registered car (Chysler 300M) is as good as any other (Rolls Royce Silver Spur) for switching to Ontario and passing safety and whatnot.

The next car I own - which the non-idiotic part of my brain says I will buy in Ontario in April or May - will need to carry a canoe, bomb down gravel and dirt roads in TSD rallies and other adventures, and generally put a smile on my face. The Roller would do that in fantastic style (picture that car with a green canoe on it - go on, I'll wait. Don't forget the nice layer of mud up both sides as high as the windows) and I can get to Calgary easily.

The auction starts at 11:00am, a surprisingly reasonable hour, and they allow internet bids. The excitable moron in the back of my head is SCREAMING at me right now.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Frank Dillinger posted:

I don't think that's smoke, looks like condensation to me? anyway, emailed him, gonna look at it tomorrow if he every gets back to me with his address. summer beater ahoy!
Good to hear it. Yeah, by "smoke" I meant "visible exhaust" which is, yes, composed mainly of condensing water vapour. Though obviously that car *could* be burning oil, I kinda doubt it.

I'm agreeing with jonathan - non flashy plastidip would look great. Or flashy - lime green comes to mind.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Drug dealer, completely blacked out (the term "murdered out" is stupid but fits in this case), with these wheels:

also blacked out.

My GF at the time got a Mark V as the loaner when her crappy little Hyundai was in the shop in Vancouver for transmission work. She called me in a panic because she didn't think she could berth park that monster; I got to drive that thing around for a few days and it was glorious. If they didn't have such catastrophically bad fuel consumption I would be seriously considering one.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 6, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Do you have to pay provincial tax when you buy or sell a car in Alberta?

My parents are giving me their car, a 2002 Chrysler 300M. I'm moving to Ontario at the end of this month, so I'll need to get the car safetied / out-of-province-inspected when I get settled in, and insured. My father sent me the registration - I had to apply the sticker this morning, so it's good as far as AB is concerned until this time next year - and as far as I can tell, as soon as I sign the form the car officially belongs to me. At the moment, it's insured by and for my parents, and I've got a letter from my father in the glove compartment basically saying "I'm loaning this car to my son" in case I get into any trouble. Am I going to get a tax bill from the Alberta government when I register the car myself in Ontario?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The swearing thing isn't going to face a charter challenge directly, but that part about breaking up assemblies of people is a big fat flag waving in the face of every ambitious constitutional lawyer in the country.

I give it a week, tops, before we see some spokesman on a soapbox for some group (Atheists is my personal prediction, pick your poison) that deliberately sets out to challenge that free-assembly thing. The police are (presumably) not so dumb that they'll immediately arrest all six neckbeards who show up in front of Taber City Hall (or the local Timmy's), but regardless of whether that bit of stupid local legislation ever gets enforced on anybody over the age of majority, it will go away, quietly or otherwise, pretty soon.

Public transit gets special rules because nobody is forcing you to board a train or bus, and there are all sorts of justifications for maintaining some level of behaviour when you're on or near big vehicles. And being drunk in public is still something cops can pick you up for. But just walking down the sidewalk with three of your friends is not enforceable anywhere in Canada.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

El Scotch posted:

1) The person not wearing the belt gets the ticket. It's as simple as that.

2) There are medical exemptions, see section 88.

It doesn't sound like a medical exemption applies - he said his passenger wasn't wearing a seatbelt because they'd just pulled out of a parking lot. That implies the passenger hadn't put it on yet, not that they had some reason to never wear a seatbelt.

Can the RCMP extract unpaid fines from someone's income? If this passenger does not pay the ticket, will the RCMP (or some other government agency) eventually extract the fine (plus, presumably late-payment fines and interest) from their income? It sounds like this person's income might be coming from the government via disability-support, I don't know if that complicates this in any way.

I'm also suprised that the passenger - despite being of the age of majority (this person can't drive, doesn't mean they can't vote / buy restricted things (cigs, booze) / other adult stuff) - got the ticket rather than the driver. The quoted bit of 82(3) is talking about the person operating the vehicle, i.e. the driver. I read that as being a law that places the responsibility for the passengers' seatbelts on the driver of the car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Send an oil sample to Blackstone. Those guys are super-nerdy about motor oil, they'll tell you what's what.

Have you been changing the oil, or having somebody do it? Are you 100% sure you've gotten a new oil filter every time?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Amos Moses posted:

I assume they can figure out what kind of metal it is then figure out whats shedding it from there yeah? I'll send them a sample.

Blackstone provides a super-detailed report. They break it down by elements - how much silicon, nickel, aluminum, lead, etc. - about half the periodic table shows up on their analysis. They will tell you more than you wanted to know about those bits of metal.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

I just got elected mayor of my small town.

loving kill me now.

Seriously? (about the election, not the murder)

How small is small?

EDIT: Is this some St. Pat's day Mayor-For-A-Day thing?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
That's awesome and hilarious. I've driven past Dalroy - it's just off Highway 9 and I've gone up and down that road more than once - but never noticed it before. Get business cards made up, put a still version (or, better, a holograph that switches back and forth as you tilt the card) of your avatar on them, go hog wild!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Getting back to Taber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGmLZGsrnk

Which one of you is running the dashcam, and which one of you is the idiot in this video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

carts for fat guys

Yes! Yes you can!