Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

Ford did this in the early 2000s too when a whole bunch of F350s were flowing south, they just blacklist you from buying new vehicles for a year.

But how would the dealership or the company even find out? When the VIN shows up at an American dealership with an American owner for service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Speaking of being in Calgary....

I am moving to Australia for a job starting in January. My parents are in Calgary and for various reasons it makes sense for us (My fiance and I) to drive to Calgary for Christmas. This means we will have Tarrandus, my 1997 Ford Ranger that some of you were instrumental in helping me buy back in May of 2015. I plan to sell Tarrandus in Calgary.

I'd like to get together with anybody who might be around in the week between Christmas and New Year's, and if there's any interest there will be a goon discount on the truck.

As a general question, what would you look for in an old beater truck? I will probably let you guys see the ad first in any case, and it would be helpful what kinds of things I can emphasize in the ad.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

jonathan posted:

My buddy has an ford f650 on super singles. With the Allison trans, Cummins 5.9 and Harley Davidson interior.

And a regular Class 5 driver's license is all that's needed to drive that thing all day every day.

SSS, you still got that post of yours that starts with "you oceanic motherfuckers" ? I saved it when it happened, but that was on my old computer. I'm in Australia and the picture of that truck plus your wonderful rant (and I've started playing Civ IV again) would be nice to have ready to throw at the next Bogan who declares something unintelligible about their ute.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I think it was in one of the AI-wide fast-moving threads, but not one of the monthly discussion threads. Maybe "Post your ride" or "What did you do to your ride?". It was in response to an Australian or maybe a Kiwi complaining about large vehicles in standard-size parking spaces, possibly with a photo of a F-150.

Fake Edit: found it! "Post terrible car stuff" I should have just used the search function to start with. Yours is the only post it found to include the string "you oceanic motherfuckers". Which is a real shame, it's a good little phrase and we should all endeavor to use it more.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

F250? You Oceanic motherfuckers haven't even started on trucks. We've got F550s to do the grocery run with.

Still not enough, and you're too busy loving your cousin to get a CDL? Try an F650 on for size.

Still not enough? Now we're talking. We'll make it into a loving limo. Your chauffeur has to give you a boost to get in. At this level we don't even think about parking lots anymore, these babies just keep rolling 24/7 while a small Japanese car travels to and from the gas station to keep 'em stocked.

I can give any one of these bitches to my 16 year old as soon as he looks up from Facebook long enough to get his drivers' license and he can drive it wherever and whenever he wants.

It's like it's the last fifteen turns of a Civ game. Our tech tree hit the cap on this poo poo a long time ago and now we're just putting more points into Bigger Trucks XVIII.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

Lexus LS400 loving ANYTHING on GOOD winter tires.
Even your RWD Sierra will do just fine when it's wearing good winter tires on all four corners. Pick up some steelies from the junkyard, order a set of whatever has the best reviews + performance evaluation at TireRack. Or, yeah, buy another car that you like (sounds like maybe get away from GM? if being in a car's presence makes you sad) and get steelies & winters for it.

EDIT: SSS, tell us again your story / stories about burbling past stranded lifted idiots on Calgary's wintery roads in your little Miata.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was the best car I ever drove in the snow.

My man. This is pure poetry. Thank you.

MrChips posted:

You should release me from the eternal pain and suffering buy my E46.
This is the correct answer. My best-ever car in the snow was a 1996 BMW 328is wearing just lovely General Tire Arctic Altimaxes with studs. Driving from Calgary to Saskatoon after Christmas through a blizzard just east of Cowtown, we were rock solid, like driving on a well-maintained gravel road, while the soccer-mom SUVs and Big Dumb Pickups in front and behind us were DORIFARUUUUU!!!! on straight, level highway.

With "all season" tires, my bimmer was undriveable on Saskatoon's snow-covered roads. With studded Altimaxes, it was invincible.
SD 135 On the Ice by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Until it overheated and warped the heads and broke the variable timing system, at -30 C immediately after driving across the frozen surface of the South Saskatchewan River.
SD 135 Towed 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

It would be cooler to see a Porsche towing a compressor.

Agreed. But, slidebite, don't you have a Tacoma? Or did you get rid of that red Taco years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I had a good experience with POR-15 on my rusty, rusty bimmer in Saskatchewan several years ago. I bought the "trunk floor kit" that came with everything but the brushes, spent some time ineptly sanding and picking away at the rusty spot, built up the area with the putty they provide, very incompetently sanded that down, cleaned it all up with the cleaner they provided, then slathered it on. Because of what POR-15 is, the final step is to throw away every tool and item of clothing that came within 1m of the work, then cry a single tear for every never-to-be-removed drop of black forever-goo found on any other part of the car (there were many tears that day).

POR-15 is pretty good stuff, in my opinion.