Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I can safely assume that every AB goon is fully intending to see Mad Max: Fury Road in IMAX right? If you needed another reason: http://vehicleshowcase.madmaxmovie.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The only way a Volt makes sense is if the monthly lease cost is less than the cost of fuel of a daily.That lease also better be $0 down and have maintenance included.

Powershift is right, for us Canadians, they make zero sense right now.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I did something incredibly stupid and bid on the motorcycle equivalent of a BiTurbo at an antique auction May 10. Said MFG has zero dealers in Canada and prior to splitting the company business units into separate entities, used to make shotguns.
I hope for everyone's entertainment that no one else is as dumb or dumber than I to bid on it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Bingo! May 10th might turn out to be an interesting day. The bid placed is low enough that I won't feel bad if the cycle world long term reviews on this bike end up being 100% accurate. Or I dodge a mad Italian bullet.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Every AB:AI member should go buy a RX-2/3/4/5/7/8/REPU/13B swapped nova:

https://edmontonrx7club.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/edmonton-rx-7-club-road-rally-scavenger-hunt/

I'm working on the scavenger list now - feel free to toss in some ideas.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Just fired off an email to Morgan Motors UK about why on earth Polaris can release the Slingshot in Canada but they can't be arsed to to get the same certification for the Three Wheeler. I'm pretty sure this will go no where and I will get a polite Sod Off you rebellious offspring but it's worth a shot. I want to drive off in a 3 Wheeler for my wedding drat it!

Also, that Benelli went for STUPID money. Some one is as masochistic as the best of AI.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

jonathan posted:

I've seen two of those Slingshots in GP. One was stopped by the fun busters.

Since it's a motorcycle you legally have to be wearing a DOT helmet - I imagine lot's of people are going to forget that the second they drive one off the lot.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I left after it surpassed $10k. Opening Absentee bid was $3500. Someone could have bought a new Speed Triple - but nope, they wanted something comparatively old & Italian :italy:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm now back to lusting after that MT-01 that Riverside has on consignment for $6k. I also really really need to get the bodywork done on my Goldwing. Enough bike chat - I caved and spent the $30 on my Amsoil preferred customer membership - $8 quarts of 5-30 synthetic is awesome. Especially when the Wrangler takes 6 of them. gently caress St. Albert Dodge for rounding off my oil drain plug though.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 13, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Man, this looks like a sweet truck.

Seconding this. I don't think you'll find better. Looks like everything is already sorted - plus an interior that clean is usually a good sign.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

You guys really need to read switch's tumblr.

It's a kind of wonderful automotive fiction comedy. The warp speed ice cream truck story has me laughing two hours after I read it.

http://seat-safety-switch.tumblr.com/

Seconding this whole heartily. New tumblr posts from SSW are generally the literary highlight of my day.

Edit: I would also pay good money to have every single one of them illustrated.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 15, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Were you on SA when I posted my pictures from the Unimog museum?

They're not spectacular but who doesn't love Unimogs. Sell the Jeep and buy the mog - do it!

http://s200.photobucket.com/user/JakAggro/library/Unimog%20Museum?sort=3&page=1

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

If any of you guys are skywatchers at all, go outside because there are some spectacular aurora going on right now!

Can't sleep - on it. Thanks!

Aurorawatch ran by the U of A is also awesome for this.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I'm back to Onterrible in mid-September, don't worry there (pseudo)Tex. I've got my Suncor I.D. badge, hardhat, hi-vis vest, steel-toes, and gloves right here, which *should* entitle me to some kind of discount at every Husky and PetroCan across the country, though sadly I don't think it works that way.

Sadly it won't, but your Suncor ID badge will get you between 50 & 90% off everything Acklands Grainger carries. ( I have one as well and may or may not make use of it very regularly.)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Really!? I had no idea. I have a hankering for some cones, and a fire extinguisher...
Mine says "Contractor" on it, will it still work?

Mine's a contractor badge as well and has always worked for getting Suncors corporate rate. $26 polarized safety sunglasses are excellent (Msrp of $52).

You should easily be able to get that kind of discount of fire extinguishers since Suncor takes safety "seriously".

E: Spelling & grammar - the heat must be getting to me

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 29, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's awesome!

Seconding this! That's fantastic - you're really making it hard for me to not get into FPV drone ownership. Oh hey, I'm pricing out Fat Shark Headsets right now.

Unrelated note: Edmonton International Raceway has Stacker car racing (just like top gear) tomorrow along with a host of other disciples. Gates open at 1600 - racing starts at 1730. I'm checking right now if I can go (future in laws are in town).

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Hmm... please tell me more about this race event. I haven't decided what to do with tomorrow yet, it's more-or-less a day off. I can sleep in, but there are some work-related errands to run. The evening is free.

Edmonton International Raceway (Technically in Wetaskiwin) - http://www.edmontonraceway.com/

Every Saturday they have races going on - it's a paved oval. So the following disciplines run:

As per their website: "NASCAR Super Stocks Double Feature, NASCAR Thunder Cars, Feature Stocks & Modifieds & THE STACKERS!"

I've been out a few times last year and it's a blast. Hasn't worked out this year unfortunately. Maybe tomorrow.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Great, now I'm crunching the numbers to see if I can take the GL1100 down and back in under 24 hours...

Also, I checked and EIR is in fact charging $52 for just tonight ( that ticket does get you in to the overflow races for tomorrow though). So looks like I won't be going - $52 is too steep for my blood for oval racing for the evening.

Edit: Castrol has a special for tonight $10 gets you tickets to Street Legal Drags, EMRA Track Attack and Sprint racing on the Oval. That's a hell of a lot of racing for the money.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 10, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Speaking of bikes, I'm about to ride the Moldwing™ down to Red Deer. Any goons want to meet at the new Pete's Drive-In around 1700? (I'm taking the western back roads to get there.)

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Chumpcar at Castrol is fast approaching - who else is going? Either racing or spectating? I'm pit crew again for the Smokey & The Bandit FC RX7. It's a 24h endurance race so if you want to swing by and say hi, fair warning I won't be very coherent past hour 20.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm going to be honest: the idea that you can be less coherent than your normal function scares the poo poo out of me :v:

I will admit that on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is fully incoherent - I'm basically Raymond Babbitt most of the time.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Now I've got capital to continue work on the coronet.
:getin:

Time to start trolling the insurance auctions for wrecked Ram SRT10's? I've seen them as low as $6k.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

To any and all Albertans who A) live near Castrol and B) aren't busy between now and noon tomorrow: Why the gently caress aren't you out watching the chump car race. The weather is perfect and the wheel to wheel racing is exciting. $20 at the gate!

E: It's 0630 and our clutch disk decided to poo poo the bed. Looks like we're using 3rd gear from now on.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 2, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

GrantC posted:

Good to chat w/ ya at the race! I'm sure there were other goons there, but they didn't say "hi".

That race was amazing! Congratulations btw! You guys were incredible.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

How much of a bad idea would it be to trade my 2012 JK wrangler in on a 2005 standard cab RAM SRT-10? I owe 24k on the wrangler and a local dealership has one on the lot for 24k...

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Remember a few months ago that brief cockroach chat?

I love AI - speaking of food plants, does the Frito Lay plant in Taber do tours? I think it would be appropriate for the local RX-7 club to go see how Doritos are made.

And on Dorito chat, you all should check out my recent parts haul in the Wankel thread.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Uh oh guys he's relapsing again. Time for another intervention.

I'm perfectly fine, I swear!

I other news, I need to liquidate some assets to afford another price drop on my house. The Goldwing is up on Kijiji: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1004134633

Any suggestions on the ad?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Before I forget, Chumpcar is 100% confirmed for Castrol next year. Consider this your 365 day notice to get your rear end out there as a driver/crew member/spectator.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Only complaint would be you have $4k OBO in the ad and $3k as the listed price. If you have the body panels you took off still that might incentive somebody more looking for a classic. I've got the biggest hardon for old honda bikes and I would be way more willing to throw down for one if it was complete.

That being said my dad has an old v65 Sabre that I'm just waiting for him to get tired of maintaining. He spends more time prepping that thing every spring and fall then he does actually driving it.

Totally missed that, description now properly reflects the price. I don't have all the fairings, hard cases etc. Sold them all to fund all the deferred maintenance + flat tracker seat/LED lighting/handle bars. Technically, the GL1100 did come as a naked from the factory. This specific one was an interstate model - that means it has an uprated electrical system - it can handle a FI fuel pump and microsquirt actually.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Are you running another doritomobile? Or is that even a question worth asking? I have felt the itch to race again, especially cheap and fun wheel to wheel racing.

We sure are - Team Bandit is now fielding two cars. I'm crew chief for the second car and as far as I know there are seats available for next year. 24 hour endurance racing is not for everyone.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sold my current place! Possession of a 26' oversized double garage with some living quarters attached occurs October 2 - there will be a 4 post hoist in it by x-mas. :hawaaaafap:

If something goes sideways between now and then - there will be death and destruction. I NEEEED to be able to start wrenching again. Plus the local RX-7 club needs a new home since 4kruzn is moving south.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I'm thinking I might start flipping RX's. There's plenty of sub $1k RX-7's that don't need much other than rotary specific TLC to get going again. Hoopties will have to wait until after the hoist is in.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

neckbeard posted:

There's gotta be so many JDM imports from when the import craze was booming ~10 years ago that could be flipped after a bit of maintenance. I work with a guy whose `92 WRX has been sitting for like 2 years now because he hasn't gotten around to getting the engine fixed

The amount of neglected RHD FD's is staggering - I've had to pass on three sub $4k FD's because I simply didn't have the space.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Acklands carries it - if you're near Edmonton I can use my discount and pick up a few cans. MSRP list is $20 so I can get them for closer to $10.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Here's an odd question for you guys, where could you safely park a 26' moving truck for 48 hours with your entire household in it? I'm thinking one of the RV storage lots assuming they do such short stints.

Or to expand, how would you move when you have to be out of your current place on September 29 and don't take possession of the new house until October 2? Cheapest quote from a moving company was $2200 due to having to unload and load the truck into storage. I checked with PODS and they're great price wise ($550 all in) but the largest container they have is 16' and I have serious doubts that I can fit everything in to that volume.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

This is probably a really dumb suggestion, but why not 2 PODS?

Apart from the cost literally doubling (twice the delivery and drop off fees of $140 a pop) I don't actually have room at my current residence for a second pod. The lone 16 footer will take up my entire driveway and the neighbors get all pissy at everything I do. Good thought though. If any one of the current conditions were different, that's what I would be doing.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Sequential PODS. POD 1 gets dropped off at old place empty, you fill it. PODS truck comes and swaps for POD 2, which you fill while the truck takes POD 1 to their secure yard. Then the truck picks up your POD 2 and places it at that same secure facility. Storage of full PODS is a service they provide - I had my worldly possessions in one their boxes for 4 months while I was in Australia.

On the day you gain possession of your new place, it's the same process in reverse. At no point is there ever more than a single POD on your property, old or new.

You don't have to get two PODS the same size - if you think everything will fit in a 26-foot truck, get one 16-footer and one 10-footer, save a few bucks. And a locked POD (you provide the lock) is probably more secure than a truck, anyways.

Edit: they'll drop a POD in any legal parking space. Carrying your furniture across the street is a pain, but it might save some money and other hassle.

Looks like this will be the plan. Thanks guys!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Edmonton / Villeneuve airshow is happening this weekend. Thanks to a friend of mine I got the full VIP / baller experience and flew in. Prior to that we had breakfast in Rocky Mountain House. Today has been a good day. Pictures to follow. Airshow looks to be shaping up nicely. Red bull is here with an Extra 300 (I think). Stunt biplanes by the looks of it as well. Haven't seen anything with turbines yet...

Edit: If you don't have tickets you aren't getting in. They're sold out

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 22, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Nice! I just went to the Sherwood Park car show. Then drove my boss's S5 that's all tuned up by Stasis. Sweet Jesus that was a good time.

To further drive the point home if how awesome the S5's are, they are objectively faster in every way versus the Cessna 172R I flew in. Great, now I'm on Carmax looking at second hand S5's. Good thing our dollar it's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

All conditions removed! All financing in order! House passed it's inspection with flying colours.

October 2nd will be a good day.

Now to start packing... :suicide:

Anyone have any spare boxes?