Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Welcome to Alberta! It's a land of big skies, cities that set world records for urban sprawl, too much loving salt on the roads and some of the biggest car retards I've ever met in my entire life, in all possible senses of the term. I grew up here, and now I watch myself and my fellow Albertans destroy their lives in the pursuit of automotive perfection. The oil money doesn't hurt either!

"An Albertan Monologue," by Margaret Atwood

quote:

I WAKE UP AND IMMEDIATELY BEGIN TO DO CRUNCHES, TODAY IS MY BELLY DAY. I WALK DOWNSTAIRS TO THE SUN DRENCHED FOYER IN WHICH I LIVE AND REACH INTO THE BOWL OF KEYS ON MY SIX AND A HALF INCH THICK LIVE EDGE MAPLE TABLE. THE KEY BELONGS TO A 1982 DODGE RAMPAGE. MY PULSE QUICKENS.

I PURCHASE A 1976 DATSUN OFF KIJIJI AND FILL THE BED WITH FLUID FILM. CANADIAN TIRE CONTACTS ME TO ASK ME IF I WANT TO BE THE NEW "CANADIAN TIRE GUY." I ASK THEM WHAT HAPPENED TO THE OLD CANADIAN TIRE GUY. THERE IS AN UNCOMFORTABLE SILENCE AND A MAN FROM MARKETING INVOLUNTARILY SAYS A PRAYER

SCIENTISTS WORKING AT NASA CONTACT ME ABOUT MY TRUCK. THEY TELL ME THEY'VE DISCOVERED A NEW FORM OF CORROSION. IT TURNS OUT THAT OXYGEN CAN OXIDIZE AND MY DATSUN IS TURNING INTO A GASEOUS FORM. I THANK THEM FOR THE CALL AND HANG UP. I TELL MY WIFE TO PUT THE PITCHER OF SOARIN' STRAWBERRY-LEMONADE KOOL AID BACK IN THE FRIDGE. ON THE WAY TO THE GARAGE I GRASP MY LIQUID NITROGEN GUN AND PREPARE TO RENDER THE MOLECULES OF THE NOBLE DATSUN INERT.

THE YEAR IS 2027. I AM AT BARRETT JACKSON WITH MY 1976 DATSUN PICKUP TRUCK. THE AUDIENCE IS BASICALLY ENTIRELY CHILDREN THAT WERE BORN AFTER 9/11 AND HAVE NO MEMORY OF WHEN THE TOWERS CAME DOWN. I INVOLUNTARILY CRY EAGLE TEARS BEFORE RETURNING TO THE PODIUM TO SAY A FEW WORDS ABOUT THE AUCTION OF MY TREASURED PICKUP TRUCK. IT TURNS OUT THAT AFTER THE COMPLETE DOMINATION OF CHINESE METALLURGY FLUID FILM IS NOW THE MOST VALUABLE SUBSTANCE ON EARTH AND THE TRUCK IS SOLD FOR 246 BILLION YUAN.

JARED LETO CALLS ME ABOUT MY TRUCK. I TELL HIM THAT IT ALREADY SOLD. HE MUMBLES A BIT INTO THE RECEIVER AND THEN ASKS ME IF I WANT TO COME OVER AND WATCH "THE BIG GAME." I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS SO I SAY OKAY. IT TURNS OUT IN 2027 THAT HOCKEY HAS BEEN REPLACED BY COMPETITIVE FLOOR GYMNASTICS AND CHINA AND RUSSIA ARE THE DOMINANT PLAYERS. I BLAME BUSH.

FINALLY IT IS THE STANLEY CUP OF FLOOR GYMNASTICS. I AM WATCHING THE ADS FOR THE SUPER-POMMEL-HORSE AND DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING THAT IS BEING SOLD. I BEGIN TO BROWSE KIJIJI USING MY GOOGLE GLASS. SUDDENLY THE ENTIRE INTERNET IS INSIDE THE ROOM WITH ME AND I FEEL COLD. AFTER FIGHTING IT OFF I NAVIGATE TO USED TRUCKS, SET THE SEARCH TO FILTER BY MANUAL TRANSMISSION AND SORT BY PRICE. THE CHEAPEST LIGHT TRUCK WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION IS A VINTAGE 2015 FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND KILOMETER JIANGLING BAODIAN AND I SEND AN EMAIL RIGHT AWAY TO THE GUY SELLING IT. IT IS SO PRISTINE.

THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR THE BAODIAN MENTIONS MULTIPLE TIMES THAT THE TRUCK IS "ONLY FOR EXPORT" AND THAT IT IS NEVER TO BE REINTRODUCED TO CHINA OR REFUELLED AFTER MIDNIGHT. I TAKE THE TRUCK TO PANDA DELIGHT JUST OFF LAURIE AND CENTRE IN ORDER TO TEACH IT A LESSON ABOUT ITS PUTATIVE ANCESTRY. AFTERWARD I FILL THE TRUCK UP AT THE ONLY REMAINING GAS STATION IN NORTH AMERICA. I WONDER WHAT TIME IT IS IN CHINA RIGHT NOW.

UPON RETURNING TO MY ONE-BEDROOM FLAT IN THE "RECENT DIVORCEES" SECTION OF CRAIGSLIST, I LOWER A RICE-ALCOHOL BURNING HELLCAT V8 BETWEEN THE CAPACIOUS HIPS OF THE BAODIAN.

AS THE BELLHOUSING MATES TO THE BLOCK THE EPISODE ENDS, AND CREDITS ROLL AS A TOXIC AVENGER SONG BLATS OUT ITS TRANSCENDENTAL FRENCH HOUSE STYLE INTO THE TINY-WOOFERED SPEAKERS OF YOUR TWENTY SEVEN INCH THRIFT STORE PANASONIC GAOO

THERE ARE EIGHT WEEKENDS LEFT UNTIL SEPTEMBER, AND THE SEASON FINALE OF ALBERTA AI. THIS IS WHERE IT WILL END - IN THE PLACE WHERE IT ALL BEGAN.

NEXT TIME ON AB AI: TEN MINUTES OF DISCONNECTED SCENES OF CHARACTERS ENTERING OFFICES, SAYING ONE OR TWO WORDS OF A SENTENCE, AND THEN LOOKING SADLY OUT OF THEIR APARTMENT WINDOWS, LONGING FOR MEANING IN THEIR TACITURN LIVES

The Cast
The house reserves the right to substitute cast members before any performance. No refunds will be issued under any circumstances.

• Paul Giamatti as McTinkerson - Rotaries and bikes, also Jeeps.
  • Steve Buscemi's retarded cousin as Seat Safety Switch - Old Subarus, old Japanese beaters. Maybe old boot-shaped country beaters.
  • Waylon Jennings as Slung Blade - Once built an electric tractor, now drives fixes 60s Mopars.
  • Scott Bakula as Powershift - Bought stuff at auction to bring to the future site of the Alberta Centrale high-speed rail station.
  • A new guest star every week! Could it be your city-driven S197 Mustang that does a 27 foot jump off the runoff of a cloverleaf?

The Program
  • Act I - A Province Is Born
  • Intermezzo
  • Act II - Ralph Klein Is Delivered Unto Us
  • Tim Hortons catering
  • Act III - Why Are Our Houses So loving Close Together?
  • Shootout in OT

Glossary
  • Princess Auto = Harbour Freight
  • Tim Hortons = Dunkin' Donuts, but with bizarre regionalist patriotism. Meet-up place of autocrosses, street races and smoke tunes. Drive through windows in AB are a foot higher off the ground than in other provinces.
  • JDM = The perfect high school grad present. Imagine an R32 GTST on bald Bridgestone Play-Zs crashing through a bus stop in November, forever.
  • Rust = An excuse to finance a new S class or King Ranch.
  • Salt = Promotional material distributed by car dealerships to the public road surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

GrantC posted:

Once helped Seat Safety Switch swap a transmission when he optimistically drove from Calgary to Edmonton, on a Sunday to both buy & swap a transmission for his old beloved Outback Sport before driving back to Calgary that night.
And it totally worked! Pulled it out from under some guy's leaf pile in (maybe not even his, when I called him he came from up the street) frozen backyard for $50 and had it in the car only a dozen or so hours later. Then I stopped at a hotel in Red Deer because the guy in front of me got highway hypnotized and nearly crashed in the snow.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The new Calgary yard is a lot better than the old one. Inventory post-acquisition doesn't seem as good as it was for those first few golden weeks, though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Depends, what is your proximity to Caroline?

I love how the third Google autocomplete answer for "caroline alberta" is "caroline alberta kkk," right after "caroline alberta weather."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We should all go to an AB lapping day, like this one:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I'd make a BC AI thread but none of us can afford the rent on it.
That thread would get left in a parking lot and bumped repeatedly.

Here, I'll help you feel more at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8-5Oag6mA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Apparently Airdrie is getting baby potato sized hail at the moment. Hopefully that cries itself out before it reaches the heat island and makes my premiums jerk up again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Oh man am I ever lucky. I was out picking up firewood at bluegrass garden centre when the storm hit. I caught just the tail end of it with some heavy rain.

Once I got back to the Airdrie office, my buddy said it hailed so hard someone's windshield cracked in the parking lot

Glad my 25 year old truck didn't get swiss cheesed.

I'd be so sad if the F150 got damaged from something as dumb as hail.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Campus radio is pretty good. CJSW is doing five times the signal power they were last year, which means I can now pick up their channel at both ends of the block in which their tower resides.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I was able to pick them up strong and clear all the way to Sibbald flats in kananaskis. I bet you could get them clear out to almost banff, though, they get re-broadcast out there don't they?

I'm just joshin'. They actually do have some great range but the part of the FM dial they're crammed into makes it basically impossible for me to pick up their station on anything that doesn't have a digital tuner. I had to replace a clock radio because a stiff breeze would knock its tuning pot onto one of the two adjacent, significantly more powerful, corporate radio stations.

I listen every day in the car, the rush hour stuff is as mainstream as CJSW gets. It gets really good after 10 PM as well, as the talk radio starts to die out. I can't stand Democracy Now, but some of the other talk shows are good.

Full disclosure: I donate every year and the free shirts I get from donating are my favorite things to wear.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

You guys are starting to make me think that driving a cheap Miata year round in Edmonton might be a little harder than in Ontario.

I drove my '91 with race pads, a defective thermostat, a leaky hard top and mismatched directional studded winter tires on an open diff all winter long last winter. It was great. When the snow melted, that's when it got crappy.

I want to buy a cheap, mildly rusty Miata for the same purpose this winter, but even the rusty ones here are pricey. :( I wonder how rotary torque delivery is in the snow?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 27, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is the Albertaest news story:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/skull-mystery-emerges-from-garage-in-hinton-1.2723990

The CBC posted:

Does anyone remember a party in the late 60s or early 70s where a human skull was shown or passed around?

The question comes after the Groeneveldt family turned in a skull found while cleaning out their mother's garage. The skull was inside a plastic ice cream pail that was tucked under some other items inside the garage.

Andrew Groeneveldt heard that his father Leo, who died years ago, allegedly obtained the skull from a police officer at a party who had found it when a basement was being excavated for a house.

"My father was a volunteer fireman when I was very young and apparently in those days the firemen and the police liked to have barbecues together and socialize and sometimes they got a little bit silly as some people may do," he said.

"Apparently my father won this skull in a card game."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
On the plus side, my quest for a cheap 2.3 2WD shortcab stickshift Ranger just got a lot easier.

"FS BUSTED rear end WORK TRUCK $4000 OBO FIRM"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Have you guys gone and seen Guardians yet? You could (and should) see that instead of X-Mans.

Das Volk posted:

This thread's title is so much better after having read the wiki article on the man.
I am so glad someone looked. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

The Reynolds Museum is really something else. I haven't been in a really long time; maybe I should go this year.

Also check out the new car museum section at Heritage Park; it's surprisingly lovely. They have stuff like front-wheel drive Cords from the 20s.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Are you faster than the electric go-karts?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
During the floods, a buddy of mine who lives in an arguably middle-class condo complex downtown told me that there were two 991 turbos that the owners hadn't bothered to get around to removing from the underground parking garage before the bottom three levels flooded.

One of them started out on P5 and ended up scraping on the ceiling of P3.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 13, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

someone, somehow, starting a rumor in the retard bro truck community that only THE GAYS roll coal and keep their tow mirrors flipped out to indicate they'd like to meet in a public restroom, it's gone down quite a bit.
This is the funniest and most depressing thing I have ever heard.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Dedicated Alberta AI fans might notice that 91 Miata with the blown up engine made a cameo appearance in my garage last year.

We're hoping to get Slung Blade's hot rod to at least the last CSCC event at some point this year if we can finish it in time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
VMRCanada is usually what I've used to peg a car's 'street value' but you need to tack on 5-10% for Alberta.

It also doesn't explain options very well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

aehiilrs posted:

Just a reminder - it's time to get 2 new all seasons to put on the rear end end of your fwd car.

I think you mean it's time to go to Tire Pirates to pick out two less-corded all seasons, which aren't the same brand or rolling diameter, to put on opposite corners of your brakeless fwd car with a cracked balljoint.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
BMW, BMW, dropout Porsche.. Yeah that looks like any ditch in the middle of October. Bodyshop Christmas came early.

The base model commuter civic and luxury SUVs must have already gotten pulled out by the time you got there.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 11, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You're looking at the wrong time of the year, but 04-05 STI prices are just now starting to collapse.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a much better idea than having a cord bouncing around in your engine bay all year round. Why doesn't everyone do that??

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

That is cool as hell. :monocle:

I've got a new 2015 Tacoma coming in the next couple months (company truck) that has these 120V plugs next to the foglight. As a northerner, I find that cool in general but since I have a garage it'll be put inside any night colder than -15C because I'm a suck.

Company truck = not your truck = it's basically a rental, HTH. Use the available garage space for something better, like (rolls d20) ...a Baja'd Karmann Ghia.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

You got the twenty degrees part right, just not the sign in front of it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

Yup I've been bringing in a ton of lightbars from hongkong and they typically arrive in 7 days. It's cheaper and quicker to ship from China than California. gently caress you Monoprice and everyone between them and me.

That so? Where are you getting said cheapo lightbars from, DX?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Nailed it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Well, it needs an OOP.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That hearse would make the ultimate AI project thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Look guys, if I see one more Dodge Journey with the high beams on I'm going to get out and beat the driver to death.

:toxx:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I didn't even know there was an autocross at Ghost lake, I'm willing to help act as pit crew if anyone needs the extra set of hands. Or as a large amount of passenger seat ballast.

It's the ICE DIIIIIICE

http://www.cscc.ab.ca/2014/11/23/cscc-2015-winter-rallycross-ice-dice/

PUT STUDS ON THE ACCENT

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

Wait is Regal an actual action house? It just seems like a regular used car lot with a gimmick.
Yeah it's an auction house. You can even replace your own car if you drive anywhere near it when the thousands of NE residents are jockeying for position in order to pay over blue book for a 20 year old Civic.

iv46vi posted:

Also, this city has the worst snow removal practices I've ever seen in a Canada, it basically consists of waiting for the snow to melt. If they removed the snow before it compacted into ice the commute would be so much less of a horror show.
Edmonton uses the same snow removal strategy as Calgary; the problem is Edmonton doesn't get chinooks.

Buy studded tires, because all the knobs polishing the snow in front of you are the reason it's icy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I was laughing my rear end off driving home down barlow onto 17th SE and me and about five other cars were held up at a light as a civic struggled to get up a 10 degree hill and nearly slipped back into the car behind it. Never change Forest Lawn...

I came out of my house yesterday and heard a Mazda 3 spinning tires trying to make it up the hill in front of my house. Eventually he slinks backward onto the sidewalk, turns around and goes back.

I get to the curb, and all I can smell is clutch. He was like 10 houses away.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They don't drink Vico because they like it.

What's your next mistake investment going to be? There's an '01 Civic Si here with severe frame damage from excessive lowering.

weapons grade retard posted:

Vehical runs but should not be driven. Lowered suspension has caused gradual frame damage over the years. Rear cradle bent forward into control arm and has cracked transmission.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

These gas prices are wonderful i filled up for $39 in edmonton this morning, and will get 600km out of the tank.

It's a shame the exchange rate is offsetting the fuel price drop at the grocery store. I only took a hand basket, how the gently caress is that $150 worth of poo poo?

If you're getting groceries, you should go get this $600 Volvo that was just posted, immediately:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/red-deer/today-only-thursday/1043794467?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

1986 Volvo 240DL. Today only! Cash. Good, solid car. Needs a bit of TLC. But needs to be towed off condo lot for plowing. Today! Minor body damage. Very little rust. Runs well, except it needs a battery. Interior like new. Great car for a young guy. Located in Red Deer Leave message at 403-318-4548. Must go today.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah get a Subaru. They are cheap in the summer, expensive now. Foresters have up to 8.5" of ground clearance and more with King springs, I think Outbacks are similar but a little lower.

I've wanted to get a cheap XJ for awhile, but have no excuse for one. I think you are a perfect candidate to do so. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-jeep-cherokee-sport-suv-crossover/1043908106

Pathies are nice but they rust like whoa.

Comedy option: This non-running Celica turbo-swapped RAV4. I bet you can ditch the 18s and go with steelies and make most of that money back. I have turbo MR2 friends that can probably source a replacement engine. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1997-toyota-rav4-4-door-suv-crossover/1042653704

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 10, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Iltises are fine as long as there aren't any American F-16s around being flown by tweaked up pilots.

(actually no they're not...a Volkswagen design hammered together by French Canadians? Yeesh)

Don't Iltises also rust like loving crazy (and are renowned in the CF for their ability to kill their drivers)?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh right, they're not the kills-privates-because-hard-to-drive variety of lethal vehicle, they're the doesn't-do-poo poo-against-IEDs variety.

That said, I still wouldn't drive it to Edmonton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You can buy decent E36s here for under two thousand dollars. I have a friend who buys those ghetto-bound hoopties all day long and RockAuto has stupid cheap prices on replacement parts.

He probably spends less on daily driving those ugly taxis than I do on my refined rally cars.

My hate can probably be overcome as soon as rallycross starts again and I can fart together a $1500 325i.

edit: The stories from the ghetto sellers are tremendous, by the way.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 17, 2015