Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

YYC goons, looks like I'm down in your neck of the woods for more training November 27 through 30.

Sadly, in another rental.

Will you buy us appetizers again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jonathan posted:

LoL at trican we used to just run the trucks 24/7 at high idle whenever it was below -15. And then do a filter and oil swap every 300 hours. :(

Every two weeks the new guy in the shop gets to see how fast he can change oil on a running engine! :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I bet he'll spend all evening muttering to himself and rocking back and forth, clutching his legs to his chest.

The shear... the shear...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There are at least two long-lasting sewing machine repair places on Centre Street in Calgary. That property tax can't be cheap.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Also, it's impractical to ship a sewing machine away to be fixed in China. One of those blue-collar jobs that will never disappear, I guess. And probably recession-proof, since more people will do alterations when the economy is bad.

gently caress, I wasted all that money on school.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I guess somebody went around Red Deer last night driving into stores and snatching up all the ATMs

they drove a fair ways into the grocery store just up the road, i didn't even know there was an ATM in there.

You would think with all this gumption and get-it-done attitude, Red Deer would be less of a slovenly shithole filled to the brim with meth-fuelled whining.

It must be the carbon tax's fault.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Got a text an hour or so ago from a friend out in the foothills west of Longview. Went from -16 to +4 in less than an hour.

Going to be a windy one again today.

That explains the unprecedented front-to-back sinus headache I've had all day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
My neighbour has some guy in an oilfield services sleeper cab in front of their place. Every time I drive past it's been idling. I was actually wondering if that would count against the regen limit.

Do you at least get a warm cab while it's trying to regen?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am out for Tuesday (business meeting) but Wednesday could work out.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'll need the fifty to buy a big enough bottle of Aspirin to get me through the elections!

Thanks again for the disks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Man, if we get an early spring, i might actually get poo poo done this summer

i won't

Same.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's just nature's way of telling us to stop living in three quarters of the province.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Red Deer seems to be the safest place, even with the meth heads. Let's all move in to Powershifts' place.

What about the tornadoes?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am totally up for putting a shitload of miles on a soon-to-be-certified-pre-owned C-class. Hell, if we're going to Mexico, there's probably a class in NORRA it would do okay in.

Frank Dillinger posted:

On the upside, you’re putting miles on a car that isn’t yours for a while, right? Weird that the ETA for the pump is so far off, should be like 3-4 weeks max unless there aren’t any available world wide for some reason.

My dad nuked a brake master cylinder on a week-old hybrid Pathfinder (during the brief window where Nissan sold that car); they had to not only order one from Japan but apparently commission one specially from the tiny-rear end factory that made them. Took almost two months.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I mean, old two-cylinder Hondas put the chain sprocket between the cylinders and they were fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Yeah that, but less glass and more wizard mural.

I would also like to put in my vote for 1980s Peterbilt-style chrome exhaust stacks behind the front doors.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you do vinyl you can cover the windows up like on a bus ad too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a good question. I assume the owner is not allowed to sell the vehicle without discharging the lien, but this is a third party doing it. Maybe the auction house knows?

Be cool to pick up an SST Ralliart for cheap and run it into the ground.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

And a regular Class 5 driver's license is all that's needed to drive that thing all day every day.

SSS, you still got that post of yours that starts with "you oceanic motherfuckers" ? I saved it when it happened, but that was on my old computer. I'm in Australia and the picture of that truck plus your wonderful rant (and I've started playing Civ IV again) would be nice to have ready to throw at the next Bogan who declares something unintelligible about their ute.

Man, where did I make that post? It doesn't sound familiar to me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That frame needs repair of some kind?

I guess the paint is a little scratched.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Even your RWD Sierra will do just fine when it's wearing good winter tires on all four corners. Pick up some steelies from the junkyard, order a set of whatever has the best reviews + performance evaluation at TireRack. Or, yeah, buy another car that you like (sounds like maybe get away from GM? if being in a car's presence makes you sad) and get steelies & winters for it.

EDIT: SSS, tell us again your story / stories about burbling past stranded lifted idiots on Calgary's wintery roads in your little Miata.
Both Subarus konked out for some reason that week and it was -31°C, sort of like it's getting now. On my way to work, you have to go up a pretty steep hill, then past a really stupid T-intersection that the city installed in the 50s. Then you go back down the other side of the super steep hill and plummet at high speed towards a 16-lane intersection (four in each direction) that people constantly run the red light at.

My only choice of vehicle was the race Miata, which sat in my alley and which a pair of neighbourhood cats would frequently gently caress underneath.

Let me tell you about this loving Miata, okay? I had a completely stripped 91 Miata with a 4" straight-pipe exhaust on PSS9 coilovers. It was intended for use with track days and autocross. There were holes in the trunk and the trunk floor where the giant 3-foot-tall functional aero once stood, and there were holes in the cabin floor from where the solid Kirkey race seat sat before I replaced it with a stock Miata seat so I could survive driving from place to place without dying. The hardtop was red, the car was white, and all of the paint on the body was flaking off in giant patches. You could see where every sponsor sticker used to be, because it was now primer. At idle, the wing mirrors would slowly tilt upwards until they were looking at the sky. The radio would cut out under hard left cornering. Occasionally, using the right turn signal would just stick it on - dim - and then refuse to actually signal even though the relay was clicking away inside the car.

It had one benefit: studded KW22s. Unfortunately, one of them was mounted backwards on the rear axle, so if I was too aggressive with either the throttle or engine braking, the car would yaw like a freshly shot crane in the snow. If I lifted on ice, it would pull a Tonya Harding, including the part where it would shatter my leg and end my career.

Also, the heat didn't work. This is the first time I tried to use it since purchase. We found out later this was because some idiot installed a high temperature racing thermostat but failed to peel off the adhesive paper of the thermostat gasket in lieu of Using More RTV, so the remnants of the paper cover were clogging the jiggle pin. Did I mention it was -31? Good thing the exhaust was hot.. when the engine was above 3000 rpm, which didn't happen when I was stuck in traffic.

The PSS9s were set to full low, and 4/5ths of full stiff. This thing was like riding a Crazy Carpet on the highway. Also, open diff, and it was one of those "I'm going to blow up now" early Miata diffs, to boot, so not too much wheelspin or I'd be walking home. I had the replacement in my basement. My strategy was to use momentum. As long as I had a good enough run, it was light enough that it would just skip along the 12 inches of snow outside my house and climb Struggle Street (did I mention my house is on a 6% grade and claimed two cars from blown engines alone last winter?)

So I'm sitting there, slowly working my way up this steep-rear end hill in stop and go traffic, occasionally giving it some pedal or steering wheel when I'm getting a little too close to the edge of the road, and sometimes some handbrake when I want to give my left foot a rest. I think I probably used up like 1200 calories just getting this thing to go up a road in a straight line. My hands don't work. My toes don't work. I can no longer feel my nose. The foam earplugs I had been using have frozen solid, lost their squishiness, and fallen out of my ear.

Eventually I reach the top, and at the top - this T-intersection - is a brand new Nissan Pathfinder, stuck about two car lengths off the road in the snow. It looked like it slid off the side of the road trying to make a light turn, and then got completely stuck in about half an inch of snow.

The driver is standing next to it, visibly irate. He gets even angrier when he sees my tiny hairdresser's car burble past his Manly Four By Four Offroader at 110dB, without a care in the world. I smile and wave.

It was the best car I ever drove in the snow.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 27, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You could just buy a $1000 shitbox Chev half-ton and sell the truck when you're done with the season; pay a local detailer to do the interior and mark it up. If there's one thing your part of the world has, it's farmer trucks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

totally forgot about this but I'm a man of my word.

PM me your address for a crisp $50 bill sss or your email for an interac etrans.

But hey he was impeached!

Done! I did write it on the calendar but I got too busy to chase you. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Albino Squirrel posted:

How urgent of a problem is this? Like is a little bit of tranny fluid leaking normal in some cars when it's balls-out cold?

It is not normal. Could be salt or dirt burning off the exhaust though? When it gets really cold, exhaust doesn't dissipate as quickly as it usually does, so you're backing over your own exhaust clouds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I thought those things had like some sort of turbo-smart electric parking brake specifically designed to keep us fleshlings from breaking it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We could probably bang a piece of rebar into shape for $700.

There's a few Rams at pick n pull but I don't know what the compatibility is like between generations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

That post aged well :haw:

I bought a '95 Odyssey EX from Copart in Edmonton on Thursday. I was the only bidder on it. "No keys," so I'm sure the #3 hole's favourite cereal is Count Knockula.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've got a very bad condition turbo D16Z6 with eBay forgies sitting in Slung's garage mahal. I don't know what the interchange is like. Much prefer to get the F22 running again inside it (old school Honda = you can drop the crank and all the mains come out on a big frame; no engine pull necessary apparently) and then take it on a roadtrip whenever the nightmare subsides.

Maybe finally use that nitrous bottle and controller for something, if Mopac turns out to be an essential service.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 4, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good lord. It's the beaterpocalypse that I have been telling everyone about for years. Next we'll see rusty Novas sold for under $11,000...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This is a great cat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Haha no poo poo.

Find out of her kids are at home or on "vacation" with Uncle Shandro

Shandro is the one who had that weird story about getting harassed by some anti-masker chuds and having to throw his kids over a fence to get them away from the hee-haw murder squad. You'd think out of all the people in the government, he'd want to stick it back to 'em.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah I would like very much to do that cross province burger baron TM2TW.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Kijiji is dying compared to Facebook marketplace, but they also frequently have search failures or listing problems now. Try changing the order of words in your query (yes, really) and see if the results change.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Turbo Fondant posted:

I feel like the used.ca sites might pick up in popularity soon, as they have out west.
Or at least, I hope so. The search is a touch clunky but there's almost no bullshit and the RSS works way better than anyone else's.

They're much easier to scrape, so fingers crossed.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

There's KBB.ca but they're numbers can be pretty fucky on less common stuff.

Also, Diesel was 179.9 Today. 20 cents higher than before the fuel tax went away and the oil price was $20 higher. 5 cents a liter more than premium gas.

It was funny visiting Edmonton recently and noticing that the gas prices are exactly 13 cents cheaper there than here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

The Besta was Korean built based on the Mazda Bongo and only sold in Canada in Vancouver and Calgary.

e: right after i posted they updated it and it looks pretty dang rough and a lot higher mileage than showing.

Buy the Besta

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bilirubin posted:

Again, appreciated. I am not a car guy so one can assume I don't know the obvious.

Like, where should I be selling my old winter tires on steel rims? Is Kijiji the go to place or are there better, more car specific places (Calgary)?

Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace works. The latter usually gets more low-info buyers and sellers. The former will probably get you a faster sale but with a lowball.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

it still feels like they should be 70s fords and square body chevies.

Worth too much now. Ford probably sold more 2010s slab-side F150s to accountants in Alberta than they ever sold any 70s F-truck to Albertans period.

I've been saying for awhile now that a modern build-your-own-locost kit should start with sourcing parts from a domestic pickup truck, because we have more of those than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Turbo Fondant posted:

Yeah good point, the giant chunks of missing frame wouldn't have made for a very good sports car.

We can make our own frame. There's a railroad nearby and Slung loves to weld. Even British people made a sportscar, how hard can it be?