Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Christ on His cross, great thread. 5'd the poo poo out of it. Brought me back to high school and first vehicles and Car Craft and 45 cents a litre gas at the Co-op.

Here have a Nuclear Banana. Or Armored Dildo

Sorry for the potato quality pic. We couldn't convince the hoe driver to make the next logical step and put it in the bin. It would make sense considering how many times the thing has cratered. The owner is in a perpetual state of denial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Wouldn't it be just picking a direction and seeing how far away from there you could get in 6 hours?

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I don't think we made double digits here, but it was a hell of a nice day. Plan to motorcycle around as much as possible as I think I maybe put 500km on last year. I've been looking for something <$1000 to gently caress with and I found a beat up RD350. Might try to dicker the guy down, cause you gotta dicker.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Pretty sure that's where I got my 3/8" crowsfoot set. Not that I tried too hard, but it was one place I found that had them for not :texas: dollars. The jewelers loups have come in handy too. Where else could you buy a set for $9.99?

The fat franks guy at the northside PA was a trooper. Not that we had a tough winter, but he was out there a poo poo ton. He's also a cool dude. Calls me brother. We're friends.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Oh man if I could be so lucky as you when cracks travel in my windshield...

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Great weather to find out that an a/c line blowed up last winter sometime and needs replacing. Especially that I was doing errands that needed my truck. On a related note, is this bastard right here an Internal Torx?

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Could be worse:

Princess Auto has the socket set, biek time. And Fat Franks.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I need better warm weather riding gear. Leather daddy look was not appropriate today.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Powershift posted:

Awesome truck

That is glorious. I would like to know more.

Don't ever change Power Fist. Oddly enough, I didn't even use it as a hammer. I just pulled it off the inside of the hood and I had more pieces than when I began.

Turns out the little torx was just a stud, and the little set I got from PA wasn't needed but now I have them for, well. I dunno if I'll actually ever use it, but it looks nice. Changing an ac line isn't glamorous, but it was still fun to do and gently caress paying shop time on something like that. The ac uses R134A, so apparently a real tech of some sort needs to do the recharge.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

I think I got my money's worth on the factory brake pads. 187000kms. Rotors were still well over min thickness.

Had to stop part way though. Stupid little spring piece that the caliper bolts to was seized on one bracket and I couldn't get the caliper on with new pads. So I ended up putting one old pad back it and it sits in the driveway for a few days.

No big deal, it was beer time.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Powershift posted:

I wonder if this guy could be talked down to $700

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/1952-buick-special/1165055929?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

How many points would a straight 8 buick with a 3 on the tree get you?

As your attorney I advise you to try. I saw a really nice, similar looking Packard today, with an old school Georgia plate on it. That era of cars have great style all to themselves.

The parts stores I called here didn't carry the caliper brackets. I wasn't about to take the gf's Jetta out scrapyard diving and a Dodge dealer had one in stock. I also did the rotors since I was going to be working on it again. Still over min, but w/e. I won't have to do it again for quite a while, maybe even for the rest of the time I own the truck.

This bitch was the cause of it all.

That piece with the little boot on it should move in and out. That's what the caliper mounts to.

It's all marked up from a failed pipe wrench attempt to turn it. That was the ''gently caress it, it's getting replaced time for beer" moment. I kinda want to see if I can soak it in ATF and see if I can free it, for curiosity's sake.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
:stare:

Jesus. I think I made the right choice. It's odd how the other 7 move well enough, and this one was bulls rear end in fly time tight. Was that salvageable afterwards?

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I'll have to give it a go with a torch then, might save some time/aggravation if I do it all again. Thanks.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Your pics make me think of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where they open the Well of Souls. Watch for snakes.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
We got tickets for Thursday show here in Edmonton. This was my 3rd time seeing them, and he was just as energetic as he was in 2000, maybe even more so.

Similar to when I saw Iron Maiden a few years ago, if they played everyone's favourites they would be going all night.

Nonetheless, it was a great show.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Wednesday in Nisku:
Field Sup: Hey, head out tomorrow to Edson and get your rig all ready to come off the carrier. We are gonna do the recert and get you guys back to work late May

Me: :dance:

Field Sup: Oh, and you might as well strip all the lines and shieves out there while your at it. That way you don't have to do it in the nice warm heated shop :smug:

Me: :stare:

Thurday in Edson:

Me: :suicide:

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
It would seem that's the more common and current way to spell it. We pronounce it shiv, and I can't recollect when I've ever seen in spelled sheave at work. It doesn't have to make sense, like how we don't have shifts, but tours (pronounced towers), the horse cock has a donkey dick inside of it, and there aren't tools in the tool house (or very many). I'm planning to take a bunch of pictures and post the imgur gallery link later on when we're working on my rig again.

Regardless, they are just pulleys for various cables on the rig. We left the crown shieves as they are in one block of several, as well as the fast line shieve. They are pretty big (1 1/8" drilling line) and they are way easier to remove with a shop crane. I can't remember off hand what they themselves are good for, but 80% of the drawworks is something like 144 kDaN. That's the weakest part of the hoisting system. I know that one of these types of rigs has accidentally pulled 200ish kDaN when the weight indicator broke while jarring stuck pipe and it showed string weight indicating it broke free.

We got word to start on the 7500 psi circulating system today, upgrading from the 5000 psi one. Not looking forward to having to deal with that at all considering how heavy the pump modules are. I had heard 4000 lbs each, 3 per pump, 2 pumps.

We are working out of the yard in Nisku and although there are a ton of shops for lease or sale, traffic is booming. Even our big fancy new design and fab shop is up for lease. It seems that any shop or yard I drive by is busy, and a big PD rig just moved out of Yard 4 recently. Peelerz isn't open yet though. We usually eat at the Truck Stop in Leduc and it and the area seems quite busy. It wasn't long ago that Nisku was almost a ghost town. Edson really picked up after the new year as well.

The Ritchie Bros lot is filling up and I saw this bad boy parked next to the fence. It's too bad, I would imagine most of that stuff will be heading south for a lot more than I'm going to be willing to pay. I might make the sale though, since a good friend is a TM from out of town and he said he'll be in for it. Dad wants to get a dozen heifers, a bull and a little bigger tractor but I doubt we'll find something in our price range there.

It looks like a whole bunch of our rigs will be going back to work shortly, including one that has been racked for 3 ish years. They have 3 out of 16 hands. When we fire up we will have maybe a crew and a half. It's a good thing everyone quit and moved home. FYI, if anyone is looking for a career change we're gonna be so goddamn short on hands it's gonna blow hard. On the plus side, we're almost guaranteed a raise this October. It won't be enough for this bullshit

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
The Jurassic Forest just north of Edmonton is fun. It's mostly geared to kids, but I had a great time doing the walk with all the animatronics. There's a plaque about the Thagomizer.

The Alberta Aviation Museum is always nice.

Fort Edmonton Park is somewhere I try to go to every year. The train ride is worth it imo, and the old timey cars are neat to look at. Maybe you can watch a fat Clydesdale die of a heart attack.

And Telus World Of Science. Once again, kids but I've never been bored there.

My sister and her family is coming to visit sometime this summer probably, so I've been making a list. I'd like to get back to Reynolds in the Wonk as well if we have the time.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
http://jwwinco.com/products/section19/bn791/index.html

Ribbed lock washer. I've seen them in odd places at work, probably on the Cat engines.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Hard yes on the battery blankets. My truck came stock with them, and I've gotten just over 7 years on the factory batteries.

Meaning they were dead this morning.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Chiantis on Whyte has always been my go to pasta place.

That or one of the pho places. That's pasta-ish right? There's 3 for every person living in Edmonton, so they're easy to find.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
+32 in Three Hills today. hardly any cloud. Too hot to wear my watch.

Absolutely rude. Work suuuuuucked.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
I work on a rig near Rocky. Company man asked me if I had a plan in place if the tornado got serious.

I said we'd grab belts, lanyards and tie off to the bops and sing Kumbaya.

He seemed to think I was joking.

Fortunately we saw nothing serious, but a tong hand that lives nearby had a piece of hail go through the windshield of his fox body.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Powershift posted:

We've had severe thunderstorm warnings/watches for like 2 weeks straight. It's starting to wear on me.

I would imagine if one ever hit a rig crew, we would need anchored tornado shelters on the edge of every pad for the next 20 years to add to the safety theatre.

It would be terrifying being out on some of those locations in the middle of that, because it would take a week to get the trees off the road to get in or out.

I wonder if there's a contingency on the books for rig crews to clear helicopter landings.

Well, we'd get one sorted out. We always have a STARS site, assuming they would still be able to land nearby. As long as they were operation, the track hoe or loader would be used.

I would guess most guys would book it down the lease road rather than shelter. We don't really have a lot of options I suppose. Our pump houses weight just north of 90000lbs without tools and spare parts. That's the heaviest enclosed space we have. It sounds like an F-5 tornado wouldn't have trouble moving those along. The BOPs are bolted down to 600m of cemented surface casing though...

AI Chat:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a pretty decent auto body shop in Edmonton? North Side preferably. Looks like I'll have to get the front quarters changed and colour matched, as well as change the 11 yo windshield. A quick google suggests Cougar Paint and Collision but I don't know. A co-worker who used to do body work in Manitoba just said stay away from chains.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

Shoppers Auto Refinishers

Thanks, I'll get ahold of them and see about a quote. I'll swing by Cougar as well

McTinkerson posted:

Edit: If you're not the one paying for it and really want OCD levels of quality. Modern Autobody on the northwest end of Edmonton is excellent.

It is out of pocket unfortunately. I would like that quality but A) it's lost on a truck going down oilfield roads and B) I just put a reman engine in my JD 6400. poo poo's not cheap.

I bought this truck new in 2010 and decided I'd drive it until the wheels fall off or it becomes completely uneconomical to fix. I don't need to spend a mint fixing body stuff, but I do need to put enough in to keep from being too loving embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Wednesday morning, leaving the rig south of Lodgepole.

The ol' Dodge didn't like it much, even after being plugged in all night. But, with 441k kms, I guess its got good reason to.

Someone listened to reason and called off the move today.