Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I spent most of my adult life in the hell that is the Alberta oilfields. Most of my family lives in Alberta. I hate the entire province with a burning passion.

Odds are I'm going to end up there again eventually, and this thread will become my home for several months of the year.

Automotive hell: needing to help the mechanic who works on the company's pickup trucks during mud season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That thread would get left in a parking lot and bumped repeatedly.

Here, I'll help you feel more at home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr8-5Oag6mA

oh hey look, it's a video of home!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

El Scotch posted:

AI Canada: My pothole could beat up your pothole

AI Canada: My pothole is bigger than yours, unless you live in Alberta

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Tommychu posted:

Actually they're only legal from October to April. Buuuut nobody really cares and I've never heard of it being enforced.
And tire tech has come to the point where you can generally get better grip out of a good studless winter tire anyway. I've run every winter tread Nokian put out between 2006 and 2012 (Kal employees get below-cost pricing on Nokian stuff, and I go through vehicles like socks) as well as a bunch of other stuff, and honestly the studs are just there to make noise. Dropping to a narrower size easily made triple the difference that studs made.

Working out in the patch, I don't think I ever actually saw studded tires except on personal vehicles. And even then, it was mostly the guys with icefishing shacks who would drive out onto the lake.