Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I helped my nephew buy a $1500 truck.

The base insurance grid rate is $1,748 for liability, and he has driver training which takes him 3 steps down on the grid to -15%, so $1,489.

He's getting quoted $2500-2600 a year, because they then tack on a MANDATORY DCPD charge to repair or replace the truck if someone hits him.

They are charging $1000+ a year in case they have to pay him out $1500 for a not-at-fault accident that writes off the truck.

The risk and therefore cost associated with being a younger driver shouldn't increase the risk of being entirely not at fault in an accident. Am i crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Does the auto insurance also cover medical stuff, or even if he hits something else (sure his truck is totaled but what about the other guy?) It's not always just about the item in question but everything that can be damaged by it.

No, medical and injuries are still covered by the other driver's liability coverage.

DCPD only covers repairing your vehicle when you are hit by an at-fault driver. If you are determined to be 50% at fault, it only covers 50% of the cost of repairs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Been sick, poo poo sucks.

The new race track by Carstairs opened up. $45k membership, $3,500 a year fees, and they have the balls to ask for volunteers for stuff.

The NIMBYs kind of won because i guess the sound limits are so strict we'll never see any actual racing on it and with the shape of the track, laguna pipes won't help.

https://rockymotorsports.com/

There's a guy running public bike track days, maybe soon someone will get one going for cars. Non-members are limited to 3 days a year.

Laguna Seca was 90dBA at 50ft. RMM is 95dBA at 15m.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 28, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ruh roh

The original warned storm that passed over rocky fizzled out before it got here, but a second started up near Caroline. Looks like it's going south of the City.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The storm just jogged south at the last minute, but we were ~5km away from half of the city being destroyed.

https://twitter.com/RyanVoutilainen/status/1554262390815870976

We've had severe thunderstorm warnings/watches for like 2 weeks straight. It's starting to wear on me.

Old Balls McGee posted:

I work on a rig near Rocky. Company man asked me if I had a plan in place if the tornado got serious.

I said we'd grab belts, lanyards and tie off to the bops and sing Kumbaya.

He seemed to think I was joking.

Fortunately we saw nothing serious, but a tong hand that lives nearby had a piece of hail go through the windshield of his fox body.

I would imagine if one ever hit a rig crew, we would need anchored tornado shelters on the edge of every pad for the next 20 years to add to the safety theatre.

It would be terrifying being out on some of those locations in the middle of that, because it would take a week to get the trees off the road to get in or out.

I wonder if there's a contingency on the books for rig crews to clear helicopter landings.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Also the Mitsuoka Himiko!

https://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/MITSUOKA/HIMIKO/700040359230210328003/index.html

When i was first daydreaming about Clio V6s, they were 30k euros, now they're all up to 70k

Powershift fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 26, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was 16 degrees on October 30th. Record snow on the ground here is 21cm in 2013.

You couldn't even tell i had stairs from the porch, it just looked like a smooth ramp.

We had some nasty wind pretty much the whole time i was snowing. parts of my yard were bare, others are 3' deep.

I've run a full tank of gas through the snowblower.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 8, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We don't get the plus Temps, but

-50 ice fog!

I'm already completely done with winter.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They've been filming season 5 of Fargo in didsbury for the last few days.

Unfortunately it's set in 2019, so no cool cars left over when they're done.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

These are similar results from Regal to get an idea of the low end.

I've been F5ing on this for the last 2 days hoping it's not a total rustheap.

https://regalauctions.com/inventory.php?a=details&contract=61411

The Besta was Korean built based on the Mazda Bongo and only sold in Canada in Vancouver and Calgary.

e: right after i posted they updated it and it looks pretty dang rough and a lot higher mileage than showing.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 3, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I looked into it, but a new windshield is $600 usd before shipping and the speedometer probably stopped working 200,000kms ago.

it went for $1,250 because where else are you going to find a RWD manual minivan, but there was nothing there for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah. The mileage was very wrong and a windshield is $600usd before shipping.

Most of it is Mazda b2200 parts but it was just way too deep of a hole to fall into.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

ICBC would actually tell you and show you how much you would pay over time, vs paying for the claim yourself.

You don't make poo poo tons of profit by telling people the cheaper way to do things.

Alberta's average car insurance rates are over double BCs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Turbo Fondant posted:

And IIRC SGI is even better.

SGI also operates a bunch of wrecking yards with good, upfront prices. When i was fixing up that Mark LT, it was literally cheaper to rent a car and drive to saskatoon and back overnight than pay local prices.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

ICBC used to be very bad, but it's improved a lot and having a one-stop shop for license, registration and insurance was super handy. I ended up signing up with AMA here, as it was getting silly running around getting this and that document done in 3 different places ('importing' a car from a difference province is difficult, you know...)

Alberta made the car registration stuff available online, but they charge a $5 service charge and you have to chose a local registry to give the commission to even though they don't touch the process at all and have absolutely no ability to help you or correct things if they go wrong.

At Michener Allen on auction weekends there used to be people that would charge $150 for 3 days insurance and sell transit stickers right there. Now i can add stuff to my insurance online and transit stickers are $24 online. What's wild to me is that you can get transit stickers for salvage vehicles which seems nuts.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

On one hand i can't believe it's almost April already, on the other hand this winter felt super loving long.

I only took the car out once this winter when the batteries in my truck finally died completely and it's amazing that -10 after sitting for months it just works like a modern car. Having sat though it is leaking like a bastard.

I'm going to try to take my nephew to World of Wheels at the stampede grounds in Calgary next saturday.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Going to have to go winter tire shopping (plus rims) at some point before snow falls. There good times for sales out there?

Last time I asked ITT I was recommended the General Altimax Arctics, this still reliable or is there another tire I should be considering? For an AWD compact SUV

Costco mounts+balances for half the price of anybody else at this point which is an $80 savings and more than pays for a membership if you don't have and often has 50-300 off sets of different manufacturers at different points in time.

Stock for new tires everywhere is a bit fucky right now, so go there, plug in yhour model, and see what's available.

https://tires.costco.ca/

Right now pretty much every big brand is $200 off under $1500 which is a pretty deep discount.

e: apparently It's a canada day thing only for orders placed today, but each of these brands will rotate similar discounts throughout the year before winter.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 1, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Our vehicle title system is straight out of 1947.

You should have signed a bill of sale to the scrapper and gotten a copy for yourself. That's pretty much it. You can use the bill of sale at the DMV to register a transfer of ownership so if the car is used in a crime or found abandoned they don't come after you for it, but it'll probably be cubed and in a container to India by August.

You only need to cancel it if there's enough value left in it to get a refund after the fees, otherwise it just ends when the registration expires. If you bought a new car, you can just transfer the registration plate when you're registering the new one to move the remaining time the registration is valid for over it it.

Your license plate is yours, it's tied to you, not the car. You keep it. I have the plate that was on my first truck on one of my cars now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

naw, just ask him to send you a picture of it ripped in half if you don't trust him and move on with your life. The only concern is it ending up on car it's not supposed to be on.

I misunderstood your first post, but they'll never ask for the plate back unless you want a refund on the remaining registration.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 5, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

what they have in stock:

That price for 4 doesn't include $80 mounting, $16 tire levy or tax, and doesn't have the discount factored in. So for example the Pilot Sport A/S 4s show at $965.92 in cart after mounting/levy/discount.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 10, 2023

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like winter starts tomorrow.

I'm more prepared than I've ever been yet dreading it more than I ever have.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think identical to our first snow last year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Costco seems to have (most of) their supply issues sorted out and i would never go anywhere else for tires at this point.

I could get new tires put on either car for under $500. on the truck for just over $1,000.

I've never had to deal with their warranty but Costco itself has never really left me disappointed.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phy posted:

Why the gently caress did I put my bike away??

Oh, right, the gravel

We've had 3-4 cycles if +10 and sunny at noon, -20 and heavy snow at midnight.

They've even for the first time in my memory, put gravel down on non-bus routes because they had become perfect curling ice.

The not-freezing-cold thing is nice but a lot of windshields are seeing their last winter. Also a lot of bumpers being put to work(mine included)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

When an OG Beetle is just too refined for your tastes

And a bicycle too safe.

That car was for sale not that long ago for ~$25k if i remember right.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ruh roh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I can't see downtown Edmonton through the oce fog, even though my office is like 4 blocks away from the nearest tower. Stay safe on the roads, kids.

Obviously, this means the universe is a spheroid 705 meters in diameter.

It's like reality is out of focus.

I step out of my house and everything is 720p

You can see the cold in the air.

Somehow Red Deer and it's forecast has been a constant 5-6 degrees below every surrounding location.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

-20 is yeah whatever, but below -40 a bunch of normal stuff starts to break.

i put out a little jar of engine oil, 50/50 coolant, and a small propane tank to show my nephew what happens to them. hopefully be able to get a small cup of liquid propane in the morning.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wind chill minus loving what?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

LOL for sure. Also another reason why fabric can be so much nicer than leather.

I was never really a fan of heated seats or steering wheels, but I must say, this last week converted me.

Just remember to turn the heat on too. I was driving back home from rocky once after a long day with the sunroof open, the heated seat and steering wheel on, just chilling. When i got back home, i went to get out of the car and me legs were numb.

We are below the boiling point of propane

https://i.imgur.com/dZdjAEf.mp4

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yikes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Last night wasn't the coldest of the weekend at -41 but it was so loving humid.

I'm glad it's over and we're back into the balmy -20s for the week.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I only grease my stuff like once a decade.

I've been doing some rural drives, and i was not ready for the "rusted out shitbox truck overloaded with hay bails" to be 08+ F350s.

it still feels like they should be 70s fords and square body chevies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

To be fair, in England in the era most british sports cars were built, your only option for most things were "non-functioning" or "on fire",

I'm trying to get some poo poo I'll need this summer at auction and people with money are ruining everything.

$225 + $33.75 fees = $258.75

$130 + $19.50 fees = $149.50, and they go on sale all the time for $99.

I guess it's good if you've got stuff to sell, but i think everybody being pushed into watching auctions online has ruined the chance of good deals in most cases.