Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

Any of you have experience with a hose heater instead of a regular block heater? Or one of those immersion tank circulating deals? I want to up my heating capacity this winter so my car warms up faster. Considered an oil pan heater, but I've heard they carry a fire risk, and I park in a garage at home.

Almost all newer car engines lack frost plugs because of how casting techniques have improved, which means they have contact heaters instead, and those are quite poo poo. If you want about equivalent performance with an old block heater, get a hose heater.

Some companies try to push oil heaters as the best things, since it heats "the whole engine instead of just the water" and poo poo like that, but thanks to how oil transmits heat (not very well compared to water) they are also a lot less effective than a hose heater.

EDIT: A swedish car magazine did this test in the latest issue.

Slangvärmare = Hose heater.
Kontaktvärmare = Contact heater.
Olja = oil temp down in the pan, at the tip of the dipstick.
Topplock V H = cylinder head temp, left and right.

This after three hours with respective heater, after the car was kept at -20 for 10 hours before plugging them in. All temps in celsius.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU