Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

To be fair 170k is more than enough time to fully trash a truck mechanically, given enough abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

80s Chevy Astro

K let me know when you're ready to get an LM7/LQ4 from the junkyard. :getin:
Seriously though, hauling a shifter kart around is probably the coolest thing an Astrovan can do (aside from LS-powered burnouts)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Right, looks like you two and potentially SSS can make it for that day.

:siren: First annual Alberta AI goonmeat @ Slung's house April 25th :siren:

What do you guys want to do, bring a project of your own to work at in my garage, help me with the Coronet, work on something else? Or we could just chill out and light things on fire.

Preference for food? Steaks sound good? I could do a smoked prime rib if we get more than 4 of us.

Coronet. I haven't played with anything pre-malaise American since, poo poo high school? Plus I just finished all the fun stuff on the Lexus and nothing on my Kia is ever fun.
And whatever you feel like cooking is fine by me.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Will a V8 actually fit?

Gen1s are a bafflingly popular swap, gen3s are a little more involved (gotta play legos with accessory brackets and manifolds, and a little extra electrical fun) but you can't not gen3/4 these days.
They're a little heavy for their diffs when you start throwing real power at them though, so a diff upgrade of some sort is recommended. I think later Safaris got a heavier rear that may or may not bolt in.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't know about any other stores, but the Franklin Crappy-T is blowing out the last of their IR stock. Just picked up an air ratchet for $50 and they had a few of those $220 composite 1/2" impacts up for $90 (the aluminum housing version was $70). Short barrel air hammers were $30 and they had 1/4" angle grinders for $40. It's all in a big pile by the seasonal department.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

MrChips posted:

That depends on the Kal Tire.

x2. As someone who spent 6 years working for Kal, they have a couple shops you don't go to ever. If I had my tires slashed in the Chinook parking lot I'd have my car towed to a different one. But then sometimes there are idiots at even the best locations, especially during the spring and winter rushes when 'a pulse' is their only standard for hiring.
Best way to pick a tire shop (KT or otherwise) is to find one that also does heavy truck tires. Truck tires are less of a seasonal thing, so if the shop is managed properly they can afford to keep good skilled people around (and need to, because a lot of big account customers are mixed fleets so you need good people on the light side of the shop too) all year rather than seasonally with layoffs.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 21, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't think anyone's calling for spectacular weather at this point but I'm still in. If it's lovely out we can just stick to the garage.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Sounds good man. You know the way to my place?

Nope. Sorry, been a busy week and I forgot to fire a PM.
Any tools I should bring home from work?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Getting some food ready to bring (low :effort: veggie kebabs because I didn't get a chance to prep anything else) and then I'll be on the way over.
So how many of us are coming? Just so I have an idea of how much to make.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Awesome meet. Thanks Slung Blade, you're a hell of a host.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

It loving snowed at like, noon, and then 5 minutes later it was sunny and 15 degrees. quit loving with us, weather! :argh:

That happened here yesterday. Fuckin' beautiful out, went into the advance polling station to vote, station was at a mall so I bought some rendom crap, get out and it's halfway to a blizzard. Back to spring by the time I got home.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hey look at that we have actual progressives running the show and actual conservatives as the opposition. This is pretty cool.
Brian Jean actually has a drat good speech going even if I'm not crazy about the dude or his party.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

What? Who is talking about that?

Every single one of my relatives over 35 (except my mother and one cousin) and most of the facebook comments I see on the matter. People are literally claiming this is the apocalypse and it's kinda funny- especially when you ask if they've read the NDP's platform. Or any party's.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wheel balancing weights are lead (RoHS ferrous ones are starting to catch on but most of them are still lead). So just about any tire shop would be happy to give you as much as you're willing to carry.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Honestly they'd be good cars with nothing more than a manual. The EGG isn't a monster but it had no problem making the 3700lb 300M feel almost properly peppy so in a chassis that weighs 900lb less and RWD it can't be that bad.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

For some reason the SC really likes ethanol. Like, it's an 80-100 km difference per tank between Husky E10 and Shell pure gas. Just started tracking it on fuelly to get real numbers.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Well, it's a dysfunction of the equipment of the truck.....

If he's got something seeping from the tip of his injector you can also expect a bit of discharge out the back. Minimum 8 ply rubber recommended.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Take the trunk lid off the Lincoln. Easiest ute conversion ever.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Mightaswell posted:

Airdrie AI crew checking in.

So you're Calgary AI except you do 30 on residential streets and every time you sell something on kijiji you get a call from somebody in Coventry/Panorama who says they're interested but they don't want to leave the city (but would totally make the drive if you were in Auburn/Seton).
Since I forgot to say it after your earlier intro post, welcome to ABAI dude :)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Olds, like I do anyway :v:
e: also Innisfail sometimes.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 17, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also Scott Subaru is the only dealership within the entire province with a parts department worth half a poo poo :(

That was actually a major factor in my buying the SC instead of a Subaru. Not that our Lexus stealerships are worth the dirt they're built on but I can at least get part numbers and order through Country Hills or Stampede Toyota.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh I'm a hardcore RockAuto customer. But Toyota is weird, there's stuff that's actually cheaper (or close enough and in stock or at least in Edmonton) often enough that I'll at least call a dealer before I checkout at Rock.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I saw a guy just skateboarding down the shoulder of Peigan, eastbound and just before Stoney this morning. Like not even a longboard, just an inherently and intentionally unstable ordinary skateboard.
Sure enough, just as I was thinking 'gee, that sure is a terrible place to skate', he goes down in front of the car ahead of me. He was safe, his board narrowly missed the other guy's car but gently caress I hope he realized at that point what an awful idea that was.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'd buy an LSVW just to park it next to my other hilariously unreliable offroader.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Whoa 616? Who the hell puts up the time, effort and cash to Merc-swap a Toyota and doesn't get the 5 cyl? Like, the 617 is the more common engine and better in every way.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

I'm heading into calgary to hit up the pick-n-pulls. Somebody mentioned something about a store in calgary with factory second batteries. anybody know what it's called?

Also the Interstate warehouse off Peigan/Barlow (across the street from the entrance to the Big Bucket/Dennys/McDs) sells reman/blemished batteries for 50bux (reman Optimas for a bit more), that's where I get mine.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Wow, you can sure see the effects of the oil crash on beater full-size trucks. Been toying with the idea of replacing the Sportage with something that gets more than 200km per breakdown, but pre-facelift GMT800s you could get for $800 a couple years ago are north of $2k now.
And all of the not-completely-hosed ones that fit my prospective budget are in those little towns and villages surrounding Edmonton, like literally every single one.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yep. And two years ago there was actually a chance of finding one with a short cab, V8, 4x4, manual (I just about bought an 01 2500 6.0 like that, got the Kia instead. godfuckingdammit :suicide:)
Now it's 99% ext cab short box auto, slipping tranny, front end bushings on the side of the road somewhere between Entwistle and Lobstick, t-boned and rusted to hell, 460000 km, wired for subs $2900 NO LOWBALLERS

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 4, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

TWSS posted:

I've never seen a 4.3 in a boat, but I've seen zillions of 3800 fireball v6s. Maybe that's what you were thinking about?

Nope, the 4.3 is also big in lower-end speedboats- every inboard you see around here is a MerCruiser stern drive behind a 4.3 or 350 (some 305s, but generally as an anchor)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Welp, had to go rescue my mom who got flooded in at work. So of course I took the Kia. It brought me great joy to hate-gently caress that stupid car through 2ft of water and cause it as much pain as it caused me. poo poo is pretty crazy out there.
(and it's pretty ironic that while I'm talking about its replacement it finally becomes useful for something)
E: ExecuDork, thanks for the offer. If I find something actually worth looking at I'll fire you a PM.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 5, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

They never had any reason for the 60° to be good. In the early days it was either 'well at least it's not a Duke' or used as a tool to convince people to go with the 3.8 (much like the Chryco 4.7 once the new Hemi came out), and towards the end it was either the latter or just a cheap engine for people who don't care.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Aug 5, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah shopping for these trucks wasn't at all what I expected- even the bricknose Ford market isn't this bad. I lol'd at this one:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2000-gmc-sierra-1500-black-pickup-truck/1091073920?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Asking Duramax money for a 4.8 truck with 315k on the clock and using picture resolutions below the lowest my 6 year old point-n-shoot can put out? GLWS buddy.
I think if I bought a Quad cab/long box I'd have the neighbours more pissed than the time my brother thought burnouts in the condo parking lot was a good idea. Not necessarily a bad thing as I hate the exact people this would piss off, but also looking for a bit more fuel economy than the LQ4 can manage while pulling the longest configuration you could get these trucks in. And the other one, ugh optispark I'm good.
Yeah the newest truck I've seen with a column shift manual was a '73. That's an error.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Truck shopping trip report:

As I was leaving the house, the seller of that truck I was looking at on behalf of Tommychu called me and asked to meet at a gas station on the western outskirts of Edmonton instead of at his home - he promised his son he'd take him to sort out the registration on his (the son) new-to-him truck. Lotsa vehicles changing hands in that family these days. I said no problem, and went on a little wandering drive because today was a beautiful day.

The truck raised no red flags for me - it looked and sounded pretty good for a 15-year-old truck selling for under $2500. No piston slap that I could hear, and on the test drive there were no alarming noises from anywhere - transfer case (4Hi and 4Lo both seem to work), differential, suspension, engine, all sounded fine. The son had deleted the muffler and replaced it with some flex pipe, so it was louder than a 4.8L V8 would normally be, but I asked about the cat and junior told me he'd just removed the muffler, the cat was still in place. It actually sounded pretty good, loud but not too loud and not harsh like some (idiotic) tunes I've encountered. The truck had a few issues - broken parking brake cable, CEL due to ABS problems, and a gaudy-as-gently caress bright blue / swirly shift knob, but nothing that jumped out at me as a major problem. New clutch, new slave & master cylinders, new battery and new waterpump all recently installed - the seller is a licenced mechanic "So I should be able to do it!" and works for CN; when I told him about Tommychu's work schedule he brightened up and told me he's working all weekend, too, so that should work out nicely if Tommychu decides to buy it.

I texted the relevant info to Tommychu, along with the VIN, and told him my recommendation: looks good!
You're awesome, ExecuDork. Got all the info I needed and more.
CarFax came up clean, so I sent him a (small, in case things go badly) deposit an hour ago. Current plan is to load up a bunch of tools and hitch with one of our drivers who happens to be heading to GP on Tuesday morning (have I mentioned I love working for a fleet? This loving job rules) and drive back, the weather looks good and I think it'd be fun. Funny though, when I asked dispatch about hitchin' a ride he offered to load the truck on a flat deck and haul it home for me for actually a pretty good rate. If that rate didn't represent a significant portion of the truck's value I'd be tempted. But I'm sure I'll continue buying wacky inoperable things in various parts of the province so it's good to know I've got the option.
And the shift knob will be replaced with an Eaton Fuller one ASAP, because they're awesome and I've still got a bunch in my junk drawer from working at the shithole tranny shop.
So any recommendations for my tool bag? not able to list everything I already know taking because I have to get to sleep, but this is my first time doing something like this and I haven't touched a modern GM product in a few years so I can't remember fastener sizes etc.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Aaaand my ride got rebooked. Both my backup plans fell out as well. While scrambling to find some other way up there and considering a 1AM greyhound ride (the other morning bus is booked) I said gently caress it, a pickup truck isn't worth an aneurysm and pulled the plug, sent a message telling him I just can't get up there, sorry.
So just as I'm getting ready to live the rest of my life knowing that I'm 'Kijiji flake guy' he calls me and offers to deliver this loving truck. 'Just pay my Greyhound fare home, I had nothing to do tomorrow anyway'.
Wow. Dude is fuckin' delivering a $2400 truck to my doorstep, 3 hours away. Not even sure what to say about that.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If you can get a number, add VV to the end of that number and that's the sealed version IIRC.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I like bearings and enjoy reading about them though, so I really don't mind when slidebite gets a bearing boner.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Timmy Cruise posted:

Does it point north ?

No, but it's really good for axial loads.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

Does the auctioneer dictate reserve or the seller?

Seller. They start bidding well under reserve though and if it doesn't get that high they call the seller and initiate a weird awkward haggling process with the highest bidder. I got a $1000 offer on the Vibe (reserve was $2500) when it went through, to which I replied haha gently caress you give me reserve or don't buy my car.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1980-mercedes-benz-450-slc/1080341006?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Speaking of ridiculous hoopties at Regal, if any of you go down there take a look at this thing. Doesn't really matter when, it's never going to sell.
It's loving hilarious in person. Color-shift paint on top of rust that would make an '80s Toyota blush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

slidebite posted:

Any other common issues with the GMT800 that could be a ticking time bombs?

The ABS module and front sensors (the latter will cause random ABS engagement, thus intermittently disabling the brakes, and IIRC the former was mostly fixed with the '03 facelift), front ends are weak and eat control arm bushings and ball joints- the joints should be greasable though and most of the ball joint issues are because people run them dry, there's a breakout box above the dead pedal that likes to collect water and short/corrode to hell if you pressure wash the floor or otherwise get that area wet, and the fuel pumps are poo poo (not sure if the dmax has an in-tank transfer pump or if it just relies on the HPFP to pull the fuel? if it doesn't have the in-tank pump you're cool).

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 25, 2015