Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Driving down to YYC in an hour or so.

Any recommendations for where I should eat tonight?

Also, have we decided on when and where we're all meeting up for dinner this week? Wednesday or Thursday?

Tekkotsu-ya is the best ramen you'll ever have in a trailer park, Boogies owns if you haven't been, if you're in the same hotel as last time you're not far from really good Indian but I'll have to check their hours when I remember what the place is called cause it's more of a lunch oriented spot.
Thursday's my birthday, all my plans are on the weekend tho so I'm free whatever day everyone else is cool with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOHOlVBD9p8

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

That and there's all sorts of textile work going on in the city. Tailoring, alterations and custom garments, industrial textiles(tarps and stuff), hell somebody in Calgary sews my coveralls back together when my :btroll: rear end blows a seam out. That along with the grandmas and the younger hobbyists and you've got a healthy demand.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Not to mention the people who may or may not be employed while they put the front back on. I was fortunate to be able to keep working when that happened at my last job (uninsured f150 driver had a seizure and drove through our front shop wall) but it was up in the air for a few days.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

The first one was probably all chinook, it wasn't until everyone was all too comfortable to keep going west that the real one hit.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean there's beer at IKEA... and there's a few other places on like 18th or Macleod, not exactly walking distance but not far.
I'm in tho. Somehow haven't met Slidebite yet, time to fix that.

jonathan posted:

After dumping 2 liters of methyl hydrate (...) application line and then spiking the brakes, an hour later I was standing there in -47 temps plus a crazy windchill about to call the mechanics of at 2am, and I look over and everything is inflated and the airbag isn't leaking anymore.

yeah that's basically been my job for the last month. Defrost trailer, drain tanks and reapply methyl, verify problem fixed, go start frozen trucks.
Except I don't methyl the blue hand cause I don't hate service relay valves :colbert:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Let it be known (cause I'm gonna forget by then) that if the current sitting US President continues this role until at least January 1, 2020 Slidebite owes SSS $50 CAD; if Donnie T. by any means loses said job (and jfc we can all hope) before that time the inverse is true.
Good meet guys, thanks for the beers/wings and the excuse to hang out Slidebite.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Well, spring was okay, a little short. Summer just blasted by.

Kinda sucks to get hit by 30cm of snow on the first day of winter though.

Any of it sticking up there? We're just slightly damp so far, not even a little slush accumulating.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ok it ramped up a bit here

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Good point

ROAD TRIP! You boys like mexico?

I mean I've been pondering a Vocho fly-n-drive, it would be nice to have a support vehicle not designed in the 1930s.

Actually if we put a trailer hitch on that C class we could drag the bug back faster and more comfortably...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I feel like an over center clutch would be just about ideal if you did want the option, but you would need a lot of reduction in whatever linkage you built because they take one hell of a pull to snap in or out.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

jonathan posted:

The engines are actually reliable if you catch them early.

Well sure, but then the trans becomes a glaring weak link very quickly.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

It's shocking how long it took me to realize those last gen top kicks are just a stubby Savannavan body on a heavier frame. The flip forward hood disguises it really well.

E: someone needs to get one with the right wheelbase to put a full length savanna body on it and make a modern boogie van on 445/65r22.5s

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 5, 2019

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah that, but less glass and more wizard mural.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Despite Costco restructuring their battery warranty, it is still excellent and unless you need something fancy, is the best option.

I still hesitate to put anything but an Ekono in a car, though the Volvo got a Kirkland because Interstate didn't have an Ekono H7 that day.
A $50 battery is still hard to beat in my eyes.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the OG site was off the beaten path a bit but the one that actually got county approval is super convenient. I meant to go take a look while they were grading it but ugh, summers always end up being just a little too busy.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I feel like the used.ca sites might pick up in popularity soon, as they have out west.
Or at least, I hope so. The search is a touch clunky but there's almost no bullshit and the RSS works way better than anyone else's.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

:drat:
I thought we got a pretty good dump here but nothing like that lol.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah this past monday my only job was 'start trucks', 3 of them started right away and 3 of them took a combined 10 hours. The Chinook rolling in yesterday afternoon was so loving welcome.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean, you wouldn't want to have anything particularly cool rolling around Didsbury anyway. Town that size and half of it is unpaved, just lmao

And one of the biggest operations in town is a goddamn asphalt company, you'd think it would be easy.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If any of us wanted to swap an F motor into a Miata it woulda been a useful donor but otherwise, yeah hard meh

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

And IIRC SGI is even better.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

SGI also operates a bunch of wrecking yards with good, upfront prices. When i was fixing up that Mark LT, it was literally cheaper to rent a car and drive to saskatoon and back overnight than pay local prices.

Yeah when our pilot car ('14 f150) got rear ended we grabbed a box and some other bits from an SGI yard, they were super cheap and easy to deal with (although they did wreck the taillight harness unnecessarily on the way out so I had to gently caress around pulling the OG truck's harness through the new box, including back up camera). They're also using car-part's software for lookup now which is nice (if a little tedious at times)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

poo poo now I wish I hadn't scrapped what was left of the black gmt800, halfton locost would own

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah good point, the giant chunks of missing frame wouldn't have made for a very good sports car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I mean if British sports cars are your example then it's pretty hard if you want it to function and be not on fire