Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Timmy Cruise posted:

No snow in SK yet, but I saw a Dinan badged X5 spin out yesterday in the rain. Wonder how bald those summers were. :haw:

But but but... he had superior BMW AWD!!! :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Timmy Cruise posted:

It was also about 5c or some poo poo. AWD won't save you if your tires are hockey pucks.

A think we're having a bit of a *whoosh* moment.

I want to poke fun at Alberta with their latest snow falls, but I don't want to tempt fate and have a foot of snow fall here in Manitoba by the weekend.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

McTinkerson posted:

I'm also curious to see how my Grabber AT2's on the wrangler are going to hold up in the snow & ice. That snow flake rating better not be a lie.

I've had the grabbers before, best used as a light offroading tire, decent in snow because of the deep tread, terrible on ice since there's no sipping or grooves for ice. On the positive side they're a hell of a lot of fun to do awd drifts since the grip was really linear and easy to control how much slip you get out of them with the throttle.

I've usually had them on for spring and fall, once the snow started really falling I'd switch to winters.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Probably because your car/truck belongs in a junkyard anyway. At least that's the only case I'd do it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Anyone in Calgary got an M12x1.25 tap and die they could loan me?

Canadian tire has that in the smaller tap and die set, the bigger set surprisingly is missing it.

If you don't find one to borrow then that would be your best bet I think.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I've never found a place in Canada that does the meat right

Barakas in Winnipeg is outstanding. Best place to get donair, falafel, shawarma, or kebab. It's phenomenal, and their garlic sauce is to die for. I assure you, they do it the proper traditional way.

The lamb kabob is a symphony of flavors, one of my favorites from there. Seriously, if any goon is visiting this frozen hellhole, stop by barakas for some amazing food, it's worth it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't understand how people with BC plates don't know how to drive down mountains. How does a prairie boy know to engine brake or at least space out braking events, while a BC plate car will be holding up a line of cars roasting their brakes down the entire descent?

Like dayum, what the hell?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slung Blade posted:

I've been getting a *lot* of crazy religious ads on YouTube lately.

They must think I need churching up or something. :(

That's what you get for searching "Catholic school girl" so much.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=norvbAITAz4

:canada:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

gently caress, all the choices suck but with my limited political knowledge I think the liberals sucked the least, so that's who I voted for.

From the sounds of it the voter turn out should be pretty good this year if the local radio is to be believed.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

My honor system works on a 1 day grace period for getting payments. If you can't come up with the cash by tomorrow, it goes to the next nutjob in line. If it's above a couple hundred I ask for a deposit to hold it.

So far it's been successful. If I'm doing a very literal "first drooling idiot who can put a stack of bills in my hand gets the thing" then I just inform all potential buyers of that and they're usually ok with that.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I heard from a friend of mine who's selling a car that there's someone locally who just goes around test driving Kijiji cars to do their errands (grocery runs, appointments, etc). After his experience with the guy, he talked with some other friends and it looks like he does it pretty regularly.

I guess that's one way to get around without owning your own car?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slung Blade posted:

That's a dick move. How does he get to location for the test drive though? Are there enough cars for sale in his neighbourhood that this is a viable plan?

Kijiji users are loving weird. Ourselves included.

My understanding is that it's a combination of being close enough to his neighborhood, and asking sellers to meet somewhere like a Tim's parking lot, then going for a test drive (with them if they insist, which who wouldn't) and stopping wherever he needs to get his business done and saying he just needs to run in for a minute.

I guess it works because most sellers are just a little confused as to what's happening? I'd probably get duped the first time too if I hadn't heard of it, just because of the sheer wtf factor.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Powershift posted:

Yeah, with the Internet, you can go straight to their supplier basically. You would think this would either force companies to be really good at what they do our go out of business. Somehow a pile of shitlord companies keep chugging along.

People are idiots and will pay stupid prices because they can't be bothered to put 5 seconds of effort into googling something for a multi-thousand dollar purchases. From the looks of things there is no correlation between money and intelligence.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It'll be a cold day in hell when (if?) Shell goes to an ethanol blend for 91.

For the flex fuel sensor thing, do flex fuel vehicles actually give you a reading for the ethanol content somewhere in the gauge cluster menu's? Or is this an obd2 scanner reading? Or do you have some auxiliary setup for testing fuels? Just curious.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Why is it 17 thousand? Are old subie really that in demand? Maybe I really should reconsider my decision to keep my old foz and instead go for the quick flip.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The real estate agent ads are absolutely hilarious. Using boogy man scare tactics to convince people they're worth it.

Yeah, those truck depots are just popping up in residential neighborhoods like daisies eh. And high rise condo's spread like wild fire blocking your magnificent lake views. :rolleyes:

They must feeling it pretty hard being replaced by the internet and commission free listing. They sound so desperate.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Anyhow, it sold within a week or so and I started to see it driving around town. Once I was on my bike and saw him in the parking lot I was in so I stopped to chat with him for a sec. He said "Oh, you're the insurance adjuster" and I said no, I"m not. He then said "Subaru told me that the PO was an insurance adjuster and wanted to get rid of it because your wife wanted a car because the 4Runner was hard to get into"

Salesmen are professional liars, no matter what they're selling. Pretty sure his approach here was that insurance adjuster sounds like a "safe" PO, you don't tend to think insurance adjusters would be very exciting people so you some they're less likely to abuse it or go off road. Selling because of his wife implies it was well maintained and would have been kept if not for spousal issues. Gives the buyer something to relate to as almost everyone has had to give up something for someone else at one point.

It's a bunch of psychological tricks to make it seem more desirable.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yeah, red flag forums can be pretty hilarious at times. It's decent if you just skim and treat the comments like you would on YouTube. They love making multiple threads for the same poo poo though.

But yeah, boxing day has some pretty meh deals from everyone this year, nothing too exciting. We have a $100 gift card to Hudson Bay we got like a year ago, and they have literally nothing we want. Starting to think we'll be better off just selling it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

drat. Shoulda got you a bigger wing for AI:SS, huh?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah I have no problem buying cutting wheels, grinding discs or even files from PA, but even I won't buy their drill bits.

Yeah, don't know if I'd trust the PA stuff not be loaded with carcinogens or other nasty things. The few times I've used crap wheels they wore out ridiculously quickly and at those rates the better quality stuff is probably more cost effective.

I have a psychological love of PA and HF, but I surprisingly rarely actually buy anything from them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Anybody tried the can tire motomaster tires? From what I'm seeing online is they're just rebrands of the shittier tires from decent brands like Michelin and Goodyear.

I need a/s tires for the beater forester as I don't trust the decade and a half (ish can't remember what the date code was anymore and I don't feel like digging for it) Bridgestone tires for the summer set of wheels. Want as cheap as possible with decent summer performance as I've got a dedicated set of winters for it.

They're 15" wheels, the factory size is 205/70R15, and there isn't a lot on Kijiji that was made in the last decade or not winter tires. Bunch of motomaster tires can be had for ~$350 ish +/- $50 depending on exact tire. Any recommendations for the holy grail of good, cheap, and available in that size?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Quicker return on investment then :colbert:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm surprised it's only $320 for 37 over. No wonder you Albertans speed like mofo's all the time.

Pretty sure here in Manitoba the speed camera would have made a loud ka-chink noise if you flew by it that much over.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Following the letter of the law, yeah.

But you won't be hassled for it unless you get caught using them by a bored cop in the early morning on deserted back roads and he searches for *something* he can nail you for, for 45 mins to an hour.

Source: ticketed by said cop a couple years ago

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Caveat to that, if he's using a random orbital polisher then those are almost idiot proof, but it'll take longer and they're not as good for getting the worst damage out.

If he comes out swinging a rotary polisher, he better know what he's doing lest he'll destroy your paint in short order.

A proper detail from a professional is going to be in the $500+ range, so brace yourself, the cheap guys might do a good job, but I don't know if I'd trust them with something that nice

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

jonathan posted:

how any real estate agent is owed $120,000 is beyond me. The job is as outdated as BlockBuster store manager.

The best thing is the scare tactics ads they run for the realtor association. You can smell the stink of desperation as their whole scam business model is circling the drain.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

AvE is definitely not a sparky, my guess is mechanical engineer.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Supposedly the government immigration website is so slammed its down :lol:

Confirmed. Buddy of mine sent me a screenshot off of his phone.

This is going to be a doozy

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh god. :whitewater:

When I was a lifeguard at the Y we used to see people getting intimate with the jets every so often. It was awkward to say the least.

The sauna was also a very erotic location on occasion.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh man, the snow made boxing day a peach. Everyone must have been stuck in their driveways because the stores were pretty empty. (Not that the boxing day sales were that great anyway)

The wife's Subaru made a pretty drat good impression of a snow plow getting out of our bay.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Post them, I was worried when I heard how close the town got to being no more.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Over $1800 per character in the ad.

"I tried to sell it hunny, but with the economy how it is nobody can buy it"

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, I see it to. They think they're helping with visibility or something I guess. I suppose from the rear it might make them a little more visible and most cars here don't have rear fogs... which thank god we don't because people here would be so loving confused with them. They have a hard enough time with front facing fog lights.

Every loving Land Rover and low tier jaguar are running around with the rear fogs on at night around here. It's surprising how blinding it is and just drat, how clueless are the owners?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slidebite posted:

Your Boxster has rear fogs I assume? Admittedly I rarely drive the 911, but I don't think I've turned mine on more than twice, and both times were in my garage.

Yup, built into the inner corner of the taillights iirc and same for rarity of use. I've used them only once during a thick morning fog.

I've only ever seen them on Euro cars and I remember seeing the local Honda guys go nuts for the JDM rear fog for the older civics, I think I saw them listed at $400+ $200+ on the local Facebook Honda marketplace page for what essentially looks like a rectangular trailer light that mounts in the bumper. I don't recall seeing it on a lot of other JDM cars so I don't think it's that popular in Japan.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mistaya canyon is a nice quick stop and a short walk down. It's pretty cool and I'd say worth the stop.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

The one time I shipped something with greyhound they lost it.

Although that was greyhound US and it was a loving rear bumper. Never got entered into their tracking system, only thing they could tell me was it wasn't at the depo and it wasn't at the destination, and they only refunded 2/3 of the declared value :argh:

Only other experience was Winnipeg to Vancouver as a kid and it suuuucked. even as a child I knew, NEVER AGAIN.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'd pull the order just on principal and go elsewhere. They need consequences for their bullshit.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

How much does he owe if Donnie stays for another term (whether he wins the election or not) :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Canada has a lemon law, kind of, it's messier than the states. You'd have to go through an arbitration process with CAMVAP and present your case to an independent arbitrator, typically you'd need to demonstrate that there is an issue with your particular vehicle that the manufacturer tried to remedy but has been unable to do so. The arbitrators decision is binding.

We initiated the process after we had so many issues with the navigation in our Veloster, we went through like half a dozen head units, but surprise surprise that gave the dealer enough of a kick to actually try something different and when they replaced the antenna our problem went away so we withdrew the case.