Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tires on my Matrix need replacing, and I'm having my usual dilemma about all weathers again vs. getting a dedicated set of winter tires for life in Calgary. I do go into the mountains occasionally so I should probably get a second set of winters but I have a set of chains in the back in case things get really bad--but I never go out there if the forecast is for bad weather. And Calgary is such mild winter weather I never really felt like I needed the winter tires I bought when I first moved here. Thoughts? Also recommendations for tire shops in cow town would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

And they are on sale for $72 CDN at Canadian Tire done deal thanks guys!

e. hahaha price jumps pretty dramatically when I picked my size but still 25% off I guess so

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 17, 2016

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Glad no one got hurt and work is taking it as well as they seem to be.

Just a quick followup: These General Arctic Altimaxes are pretty sweet tires, thanks for the recommendations! I figure if they are good for Saskatoon, which has literally the worst winter road conditions of any major urban center I have lived in, they should do me well enough in our tropical chinook conditions.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nice! Whereas I will try to stay off rivers, I will be heading to Lake Louise for skiing on Thursday so I'll give them a proper winter baptism.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

OK so after last tire change took 5 loving hours at crappy tire :suicide: and now calling a local Kal tires about putting on the winter tires got a first available quote of November 22nd, and me laughing in his face at that, looks like I'm in the market for a jack and torque wrench to just do the job myself. Been avoiding it because I live in a condo and don't really have a lot of work or storage space. Suggestions or recommendations welcome if there are any sales on out there.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Yeah good to go, just a matter of swapping the rims and bolts.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I'm humbled by everyone's generosity, thanks! I am in Calgary and free Sunday afternoon.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Glad this thread still exists.

I have to do a drive in a few weeks to Southern Ontario and back from Calgary. I have the obligatory windshield crack, its low so not obstructing my view at all but its long and just in the area swept by the windshield wipers. What are the odds my red license plate will be waving a red flag to attract fines in Sask, Man, and Ont?

I ask in part because to get it replaced will require some rust work (there is a leak into the driver's side), which I was just quoted as costing $1800 all in. Or I just slap some more silicone onto the areas where a leak is occurring and hope for the best since this is a 16 year old car and it seems insane to put that much more into it. OTOH, car prices these days.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 29, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

iv46vi posted:

Is it a commercial vehicle? Then cops/scales care.

If not, then you caught a stone on your cross province drive yesterday and will replace it once at destination/home.

That's excellent advice, thanks

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

folks know of decent used car lots in Calgary that are not run by scammers and have some selection (knowing what the car market is like of course)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Going to have to go winter tire shopping (plus rims) at some point before snow falls. There good times for sales out there?

Last time I asked ITT I was recommended the General Altimax Arctics, this still reliable or is there another tire I should be considering? For an AWD compact SUV

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

Costco mounts+balances for half the price of anybody else at this point which is an $80 savings and more than pays for a membership if you don't have and often has 50-300 off sets of different manufacturers at different points in time.

Stock for new tires everywhere is a bit fucky right now, so go there, plug in yhour model, and see what's available.

https://tires.costco.ca/

Right now pretty much every big brand is $200 off under $1500 which is a pretty deep discount.

e: apparently It's a canada day thing only for orders placed today, but each of these brands will rotate similar discounts throughout the year before winter.

Awesome thanks! Too bad its a Canada Day thing as I am a little cash poor after having just bought a car but will keep refreshing the site as winter approaches. I do not have a Costco membership but its probably time to do so as it will also save huge on lift tickets for skiing season!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Again, appreciated. I am not a car guy so one can assume I don't know the obvious.

Like, where should I be selling my old winter tires on steel rims? Is Kijiji the go to place or are there better, more car specific places (Calgary)?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

online I am seeing the usual recommendations for Blizzaks, Michelin X-Ice, plus a rotating cast of Nokians, Continentals, etc.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

If I scrap the car that is currently east of Regina with my Alberta plate still on it, will this cause issues with cancelling the registration? I don't want to drive all the way back out there just to get it.

The scrapper didn't think it would be a problem but all of the information I can find online seem to expect I will physically hand over the plate. Unfortunately when I went to the registry to ask I was confronted by a queue of like 50 people and a sign notifying of a province wide outage :toot:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

Our vehicle title system is straight out of 1947.

You should have signed a bill of sale to the scrapper and gotten a copy for yourself. That's pretty much it. You can use the bill of sale at the DMV to register a transfer of ownership so if the car is used in a crime or found abandoned they don't come after you for it, but it'll probably be cubed and in a container to India by August.

You only need to cancel it if there's enough value left in it to get a refund after the fees, otherwise it just ends when the registration expires. If you bought a new car, you can just transfer the registration plate when you're registering the new one to move the remaining time the registration is valid for over it it.

Your license plate is yours, it's tied to you, not the car. You keep it. I have the plate that was on my first truck on one of my cars now.

Right. But the plate is physically very distant from me, and I really don't wish to drive all the way there just to get it. The scrapper says "he can get rid of it" but because of what you say I'm trying to figure out if its even possible.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

naw, just ask him to send you a picture of it ripped in half if you don't trust him and move on with your life. The only concern is it ending up on car it's not supposed to be on.

I misunderstood your first post, but they'll never ask for the plate back unless you want a refund on the remaining registration.

Ok great that makes sense, just let the scrap man scrap his metal

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

so I picked the car up today and lol, it already has winter tires (X-Ices to boot)!

So now I need to start shopping for aftermarket wheels and good All Seasons. I probably am looking for a good rolling touring wheel and nothing for off roading (worst it would get is gravel roads to get to trail heads). Would love your collective suggestions

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Powershift posted:

Costco mounts+balances for half the price of anybody else at this point which is an $80 savings and more than pays for a membership if you don't have and often has 50-300 off sets of different manufacturers at different points in time.

Stock for new tires everywhere is a bit fucky right now, so go there, plug in yhour model, and see what's available.

https://tires.costco.ca/

Right now pretty much every big brand is $200 off under $1500 which is a pretty deep discount.

e: apparently It's a canada day thing only for orders placed today, but each of these brands will rotate similar discounts throughout the year before winter.

Can anyone with a membership let me know what the 4 tire deal for the Michelins at 225/55R17 is? Otherwise I think I'm going with the GT Radial Maxtour LX, which have very good reviews for a budget All Season tire--major hit on it is its handling in deep snow, but I have dedicated winters already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

awesome many thanks! Super helpful