Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

iv46vi posted:

You guys are starting to make me think that driving a cheap Miata year round in Edmonton might be a little harder than in Ontario.

What part of Ontario? I'm in the snow belt and I drove a BMW E34 with no traction control for 5 years. I was sideways most of the time but I don't think Edmonton gets it worse than Southern Ontario does.

Edit: I looked at the pics earlier in the thread and I see visible grass. I think these guys are just whiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is the funniest and most depressing thing I have ever heard.

Whoever spread that rumour is a hero

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

aehiilrs posted:

Just a reminder - it's time to get 2 new all seasons to put on the rear end end of your fwd car.

I think you mean on the front for extra powerful snap oversteer

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Or if it's Canada the old snows on the front, bald all seasons on the back is also a popular recipe for disaster

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

BMW, BMW, dropout Porsche.. Yeah that looks like any ditch in the middle of October. Bodyshop Christmas came early.

The base model commuter civic and luxury SUVs must have already gotten pulled out by the time you got there.

In Ontario its always the loving GMC Jimmy/Envoy. Ditches full of those pieces of poo poo.

This is on top of the usual pickup trucks of various sizes that appear to have hit the ditch at mach 2 sideways.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

See these examples of sound decisions from Lethbridge a couple weeks ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpJ16qbqH-I

The guy at the end in the blue pickup truck who nearly nails a crashed Corolla is the best part.

"WHOS loving CAR IS THIS? Get it the gently caress out of there"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

iv46vi posted:

08 VW GTI with under 180k, manual, leather, good condition. Dash is lit up like an xmas tree but could be a bunch of nothing serious like the PO says, then again when do they ever think otherwise. Needs a OOP inspection for plates, so not really a long term project unless you got a place to stash it. Price is just north of 5k which seems to be about half the normal asking

You did well. It's never "nothing serious" when a VW is lit up like that

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I've always loved those two categories. "Normal cars" and "Cars for poors"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

When GM was teetering on the brink Ingersoll Ontario (home of GM CAMI) was a pretty depressing place. Harley's and Jet ski's at the end of each driveway for sale. Kijiji was full of big screen TVs and hastily thrown together rental rooms. :smith:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Maybe in the future Canada will learn from this and we'll invest surplus money into a fund that can stabilize the economy if the industry producing that money falters.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I have no idea how Harper is going to deal with long term unemployed Albertan oil workers after he gutted the gently caress out of EI to screw Ontario and the maritimes. I suspect the internal conflict may cause him to burst into flames.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

He can't, they need a few months to figure out what to do about the budget, lmbo.

Ontario on the whole seems to like him for some reason though. I cannot figure that out at all, I thought you guys used to at least be a moderate center type area back in the nineties. What happened?

Toronto suburbs, Ford nation, and gently caress you got mine happened.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The biggest thing about RWD winter driving is to accept that your rear end is going to do strange things and just make sure you're heading in the direction you want. First year driving my E34 I was fishtailing and tank slapping everywhere. By the second year I had grey hair and was the northern tofu delivery drift champion. Also tight cornering with throttle steer never gets old.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jonathan posted:

I used to do this every week, for years. I had the fortune of going through the coast border crossing though. A trick I learned, if you want to suffer an hour wait in the border lineup, 70% of the time they will wave you through after you attempt to declare. I've saved thousands in tax and duty fees. The bigger the order the more likely hood they don't want to do paperwork for all your poo poo.

This. Last time I attempted to truck a bunch of stuff through the border I got out of my car and excitedly started showing the customs agent all the stuff in my trunk and they couldn't get me to shut up and drive through fast enough.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

autopartsway.ca sometimes has some parts that are worth the price but their website is a mess. One of the best parts of Rockauto is that incredibly spartan and solid drill down menu system for finding parts.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I do remember their radiators being ridiculously cheap, but there's been a couple of things like fuel injectors where they wanted obscene prices and Napa was way more reasonable. For whatever reason the Napa on 58th ave stocks a comical amount of VW Mk1 poo poo, and 90% of the time you pull something out of the Napa box it either says Bosch or VW-Audi on it, they must've bought up all the old stock or something.

Napa can be strange like that. The Ingersoll Ontario Napa had everything I needed for my 1993 BMW in stock every time I visited. Even somewhat obscure stuff like coils and a rear spring. It was bizarre.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Tommychu posted:

Nah man, Dalroy needs a police force so we can all drive interceptors.

Hire me to man the speed trap that catches people going under the limit

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

Oil and the dollar Are the same place they were when gas hit 60 cents a liter, and yet right now it's 95 cents a liter.

This is making people in Ontario poo poo a brick right now btw. My dad, a staunch conservative, went on a rant about the oil companies and the government keeping gas prices high despite the price of oil because something something welfare to Alberta and taxes.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

The target near me was ravaged as soon as they announced they were closing. Nothing was even on sale yet. It made no sense at all.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

SVX for the first car. That is a hell of an introduction to automotive ownership.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I took the survey and got about what I'd expect for a fence sitting Ontario elitist liberal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Watching from Ontario I have no reaction except :stare:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Many degrees there of both terrible and awesome idea.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Enterprise is weird about pricing. One week they gave me a fiesta for $8 a day because the rental started on the weekend. Two weeks later they wanted $45 a day for the same car.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Anyway, it drives MUCH better now, so now I'm sitting with a truck that fits everything I was looking for and with a clean bill of health for better than $1000 under budget. This "crazy idea" of mine is getting less crazy by the hour, I need a new insane project to interfere with my life and generate alternating rounds of pity and anger from my family. :)

I don't think its actually possible to completely fix a Ranger so you could keep working on it. Like it may drive better now but there's no way its fixed. Just slide under that thing and you'll have a list of projects for weeks.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

While those things probably came from the factory with rust, that is easily the most rust-free original example I've seen in many years, if not decades.

I found a wicked old man body shop in the middle of nowhere near my small town and the fellow was fixing 24 imported landcruisers for someone else to be sold in Canada. I was jealous because he was doing a really nice job on them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Isn't that Ranger super great? What a calm little truck those are.

It's too bad they stopped making them as part of their pursuit to make trucks as wide and tall as possible to carry loads that only worksite guys and guys who spend a lot of time backing up in the parking lot of Burnco use.

What's the deal with newer pickups having such short beds? What the gently caress do you do with a bed barely larger than a kitchen stove?

I don't know poo poo about pickup trucks so I'm genuinely curious.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

More likely, in a couple of years my Ranger will be nosediving towards a wrecker's yard and I'll pick up slightly-boring but still slightly different Saab or something.

Haha thats not how that era of Ford's work. It'll be like a slightly broken everywhere cockroach that you hate but can't get rid of because it still runs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

i missed the sale anyways. Back to stick welding with car batteries.

The fact that some of the stuff they've branded as "maximum", or their "high end" poo poo is literally just a rebrand of the poo poo from harbor freight has me super suspicious of anything they make put their name on.

It was a lot easier when they branded the poo poo stuff Job Mate. Then it was clear that the Mastercraft stuff was mid grade, and MAXIMUM was high end.

Although I've have a Job Mate 3/8 drill that I've used for 5 years to drill through joists, mix thinset, destroy stuck bolts, etc and I have no idea how its still working. It sounds like poo poo and has released its magic smoke multiple times.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

jonathan posted:

Browning sticker is the male version of the roxy sticker.

Roxy sticker on a lovely Dodge Neon is a staple of the Ontario Southwest rural countryside

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

I love watching my assistants lose their goddamn minds when I reveal the secrets of the universe to them; urban-Onterrible naivete is so much fun to crush.

As I was reading this I was thinking they must be from Toronto. Talking to some people who live there you'd think it was a goddamn vault from Fallout.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

El Scotch posted:

It's still too hot out, b'ys.

It's cold in Ontario give us our heat back it's all we get before we're under 3 feet of snow again

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I want to believe that it ended peacefully with the officers saying "YOU ARE IN BIG TROUBLE MISTER :mad:" to him as he dismounted his truck and climbed into the back of a squad car

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Someone buy that and donk the poo poo out of it

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I'd say they're extremely good at refining their engines and designs. Chevy has had a few duds out of the gate like the aluminum block Vega engine. It speaks volumes about how far GM had developed the small block that you could cut out two cylinders without any real major design changes and run it with no real issues.

Well except when they're not. The Gen III 60° V6 engines were even more magnificent piles of poo poo than the previous generations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Powershift posted:

considering how horrible most buyers on kijiji are, if you have someone with cash ready to go, you take it.

This a million times. I've hand delivered poo poo within 20 minutes of the email when that one buyer not offering to trade me a used toilet shows up.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Motorcycle chain lube might be worth looking into. It's designed to be sticky and resist all sorts of heat and friction

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Canadian Tire actually sells a grease gun fitting that looks like a hypodermic needle for just such a purpose. I've used it to grease up lovely CV and ball joints before to limp them along

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I wonder if they'd agree to stack the PODs. They do it when they're in their storage area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I wonder if the Ontario locations have them too