Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Alberta; where even the Brits drive lifted pickups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Simkin posted:

I have fled the flat, frozen, pothole (cavern) strewn roads of Alberta for glorious :japan: I mean Vancouver. I will watch this thread with a weird mix of nostalgia and smug superiority at not being stuck with roads that only go in four directions (N,E,S,W). Also, I will envy you your cheap, cheap fuel, zero taxation on used vehicle sales, and also support of the military.

Post your Alberta AI-est Jpgs.

Also, here is anyone needs to know about driving in Alberta in the winter.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

The one nice thing about hitting a pothole in Edmonton in the winter is that at -25 the rubber is so stiff that all tires are run-flats

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

GrantC posted:

Since this is for Alberta (with a decent Edmonton presence) am I going to get to meet anyone face to face at the weeknight evening autocrosses put on by ASA on the Castrol West short course?

http://www.karelo.com/enter_res.php?&BID=92&Ev=14445

(slight conflict of interest since I'm part of the club that's organizing them, if I'm pushing the limits of The Rules let me know.)

Oh hey Grant, this is Zenas' buddy Tyler, I saw you downtown on Friday morning in your S2000

jonathan posted:

On a side note, is there or has there ever been a snowy autocross event ? I have a jeep that absolutely motors through deep snow.

There's ice racing out on Telford Lake in Leduc from time to time if the winter is lovely enough to freeze the lake properly. Back when I was in high school we'd drive my buddies Toyota Tercel wagon Altrac on it

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

The name would work a lot better if that were a panel van instead of a Prius

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Did anyone check out Rock'n August in St Albert this weekend? I skipped on Friday because of the weather, went to the show & shine on Saturday, but I had to work til 4, so the majority of vehicles had already left.

Was wondering if anyone knew anything about this beast:

Chevrolet Chevy II SS by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

It sounded as mean and as loud as it looks

Didn't get too many pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/tylerhuestis/sets/72157645908258138

An error occurred during validation.
This video does not exist.
Sorry about that.

You're as terrible as your car is ugly.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

GrantC - I've got plans to be in Leduc tomorrow during the day, so I'll most likely come out and photograph autocross, what time is at?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

GrantC posted:

Well, our Aug. 26 event turned out to be double booked at the track... So some rich dudes paid thousands for an "experience" on the track we were trying to run an autox on... And Ryan Tuerck and Chris Forsberg were filming an episode of Tuerck'd on the skidpad about Rob Parson's hand controls drift car.

So, once we'd setup on the track, then torn down, then moved to the skidpad to watch the drifters who were "15 minutes from being done" all the way until sunset it was done...

So, in partial compensation, we got a full day from the track this Sunday Aug. 31.

http://www.karelo.com/register.php?BID=92&BT=10&Ev=14574

"Sunday, Sunday, Sunday. We'll insist you're securely buckled up & not just on the edge of your seat."

working til 4pm on Sunday :( Really sucks that things didn't work out on Tuesday, it was the perfect evening for racing

Was also let down by the owner of that Jag F-Type R Coupe that showed up

"Please tell me you're racing that this evening"
"Ha, nope, maybe some day..."

THEN BUY THE loving CONVERTIBLE WITH THE V-6 THEN!!!!

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Awesome AI poo poo on paper, but it's 780tuners, so there's a little bit of ricey poo poo and a fairly high asking price

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?160720-1986-BMW-325e-2jzgte-swap

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

No one from Calgary is posting today because a tree branch fell on their power lines, aerial phone drop, house, car, etc.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Let's be mad at Shoota_McG for not buying this from his co-worker who was selling it

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

I bought mine at Edmonton BMW - as near as I can tell, ze Germans stopped putting block heaters in anything around 2005-ish. And they say you *can't* put a block heater in, because of a dual-point thermostat something something argle bargle. My battery's already been replaced, but it still seems to have difficulty with charging in the winter sometimes. Nothing like a combination of German cost and English electrical systems!

Ze Bavarians...

Mein 2013 Golf came with a block heater, there's a little outlet for the cord down by the foglight

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

Whelp, it's officially snowed in the Edmonton area. Got the winters on the RX-8 just in time. If you see a RX-8 driving around with colour mismatched super advans this winter, wave! I'm also curious to see how my Grabber AT2's on the wrangler are going to hold up in the snow & ice. That snow flake rating better not be a lie.

I'm putting my winters on this Thursday, was hoping to make it to November, but now that the temps aren't getting above 10 anymore, time to switch them out.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Shoota_McG posted:

You'll be fine, highs well above zero all week.

Then again, itching to try out my new Yokohama Iceguards on some real snow.

I put on my winter tires today and feel the same way. gently caress the snow, lets find some dirt roads and go rallying

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Saw this last night in downtown Edmonton

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Driving into Edmonton yesterday evening Gateway Boulevard was pretty empty at around 6:30, almost made me wish I had a brotruck so I could have some fun as they hadn't gotten the plows working on that road yet. Having a Golf TDI with kick-rear end winter tires and very functional traction control just isn't that much fun.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Ayem posted:

Sup Edmonton Golf TDI buddy :hfive:. Which winter tires do you have? I've been so happy with my Michelin X-ice Xi3s, little thing kills in the winter.

Gislaved NordFrost 5. The only thing I'm not liking is that my prev car was a `04 Mitsu Lancer Ralliart, it did not have traction control and it revved pretty fast, so it was a blast going through corners

So I'm walking home from work today and as I'm waiting for a light to change I see this smaller SUV go through the intersection and it's making a funny noise. I look and see that it's rear tire has come off the rim, in towards the vehicle by like an inch and it's going at a decent speed, like 50Km/h but I'm not seeing that the rim lip is making contact with the road. I got a flat last winter when it was -25 and while I noticed right away and got off the road, the rubber in the tire was so stiff that it never really went fully 'flat'

Aaron, buy this for your redneck rally next summer

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

slidebite posted:

+10 in Lethbridge today :supaburn:

-14 in Edmonton today and we had freezing rain yesterday....

Is diesel under $1.00/L anywhere in the province yet?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

So this morning it was -18, the roads are pretty much pure ice and I see a guy driving a Merc C63 AMG, gently caress yeah

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

jonathan posted:

What sort of rally/offroad races exist in Alberta ? I've got the itch to build up some sort of project. Not to win, just to have fun.

Shoota_McG's buddies do a LeMons rally up at somebody's farm around Whitecourt

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Had a laugh at this story about a stolen R32 GT-Argh in Calgary
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=45908.0%3btopicseen

yesterday evening

quote:

Hey guys. I recently read on JDMVIP that Brian at B-Pro had his personal vehicle stolen in the Calgary area yesterday. He is offering a $1000 reward and a waiver on an import fee if you decide to import a car through him. Hopefully some of you Calgary folks can keep an eye out for this car cruising around town and help Brian get his car back. I have the link to the original post as well as some pictures posted below.

earlier today

quote:

I heard it was recovered. It broke down (LOL JDM) and they caught the thief walking away from it. Both car and thief are in custody.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Bajaha posted:

I don't understand how people with BC plates don't know how to drive down mountains. How does a prairie boy know to engine brake or at least space out braking events, while a BC plate car will be holding up a line of cars roasting their brakes down the entire descent?

Like dayum, what the hell?

Half of BC's population is in the Lower Mainland, so a good percentage have no regular experience in mountain/real winter driving

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Got my Golf in to get fixed yesterday (attempted break-in back in late January that hosed up my lock cylinder and left some scratches) have a rental for the time being; Ford Fiesta SE. Within 2 minutes of driving it all I could think of was "how the gently caress do people drive here in the winter with all-season tires?" Also, the 6-speed automatic is pretty crappy after coming from a DSG

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

slidebite posted:

That's that new micro Jeep? :lol:

Does ** at the bottom say:

**This is actually a joke. The MSRP is really $15,000 we just want to see if anyone would consider paying this price.

The 'Limited' trim starts at $32,295 on jeep.ca I managed to priced one out to $40,220...

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Amos Moses posted:

Still not seeing why the passenger got the ticket and not myself.

What are they gonna do if he doesn't pay it? Not let him register a vehicle he'll never have because he'll never have a drivers license?

Sorta feeling like I shoulda caught the ticket not the passenger.

That would be Section 82(3)

"A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle that has a seat belt assembly in the passenger seat position unless the passenger in the seat is wearing the complete seat belt assembly if the passenger

(a) is 6 years old or older but under the age of 16 years, or

(b) is a child who weighs more than 18 kilograms."

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

speaking of potholes, does anyone have any experience in patching potholes?

My condo board did a lovely, half-assed job last year on our parking lot:

and now that the freeze/thaw cycle is in full effect, the ground under my parking spot has gotten really soft and I'm going to be dealing with a pothole for sure within a month. I'm really tempted to just buy some cold asphalt and patch it once the weather is stable

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Went out for a run today and saw 2 different Tesla Model Ss within the span of an hour this afternoon

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Shoota_McG posted:

Neckbeard, let's buy go karts and tow them with your TDI.

Holy shitballs yes

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

The City of Edmonton thought it a good idea last night to patch potholes at 11:30pm a couple blocks from where I live... Despite it being -3 at the time and there being a freeze/thaw cycle for the next few days, and despite the fact that we got about 4 inches of wet snow within the past 48 hours

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I'm like 95% certain I saw a silver R34 GT-R yesterday morning going down 109st in downtown Edmonton. Anyone else seen any GT-Arghs kicking around?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Was just driving home from Shoota_McG's place this evening and holy poo poo, someone has a McLaren P1 in Edmonton, spotted a blue one at 118ave and 127st

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Shoota_McG posted:

Neither I or those billionaire doors live on or near 118 ave.

I take 127 south to 118ave and then continue south on 124th st.

Word from 780tuners is that the owner won ~$40mil in the lotto a couple years ago.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Was driving down to Calgary yesterday saw someone with one of those Saskatchewan Rough Riders plates, it said "POWER" which was bad enough but it was also on a Chevy HHR

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Powershift posted:

And here is the basis for the new interior.

Also got a nice chrome rear bumper and a steering wheel with cruise control buttons. I'll probably make a project thread once i get into it. Walking around fabricland half baked from the sun, i got a flood of ideas. This could get fuckin classy.

Nice score, I've got a couple friends with RSXs, those seats and R32 GT-R seats are just perfect for me

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

I'm thinking I might start flipping RX's. There's plenty of sub $1k RX-7's that don't need much other than rotary specific TLC to get going again. Hoopties will have to wait until after the hoist is in.

There's gotta be so many JDM imports from when the import craze was booming ~10 years ago that could be flipped after a bit of maintenance. I work with a guy whose `92 WRX has been sitting for like 2 years now because he hasn't gotten around to getting the engine fixed

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

recently moved to a new neighbourhood in town, liking it for the most part, but was out walking the dog and saw a horrific site, someone has a Buick Grand National in poor condition; driver's side tires are flat, clear coat is peeling, and the front bumper is hanging off :smith: next time I take dog for a walk I'll take a pic and post it in the terrible thread

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

With how Chrysler is making Hellcat variants of everything now, sure would be nice if Buick were to make a Regal coupe on the GM Alpha platform and chuck in the LF3 engine crank it up to 550HP or so and call it the new Grand National/GNX.

no pics of the lovely GN today - too hot to take puppy dog for a walk

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

jonathan posted:

Is this Aron guy one of us ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhAnElQmgA

Can't recall where I found this guys videos from. Wondering if it's from Alberta

Yeah, it's Shoota_McG, he's Edmonton based

Finally got a pic of the sad Grand National today

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Is there a new trend going around with Dodge Ram owners where they plastidip just the big Ram logo on the back of the tailgate some ghastly color that clashes with the rest of the truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I'm normally not one to complain about fuel prices, but I was over on Vancouver Island last weekend and it's really hosed up that gas is cheaper there than it is in Calgary and Edmonton