Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
woke up yesterday, saw there was a freezing rain warning, went outside, it was raining and only 2 degrees, had the day off so I threw on the snow tires. Of course, as soon as I was done, the weather changed and the sun came out... Could've made it until November without swapping the tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Got back from 3 weeks in New Zealand and Australia which left me wanting a Ute. All the practicality of a bro truck (V8 or turbo I6, lots of cargo space in the bed) without the massive size/stigma of having a jacked up 3/4 ton spewing diesel fumes. They seem like the perfect Alberta summer vehicle.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

"Any advice?"
"Keep in drive"
"What if you have a manual?"
"Oh, we'll read it"

Absolutely. My only regret from the 4 months I spent in Tasmania a few years ago was that I didn't buy a ute that I could bring back with me.
My Ute 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
SD 114 Bruny Part 3 Jetty Beach 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
"Missed It By One" here was a 2001 Ford Falcon XR6 ute. The name comes from the reaction of each and every Australian who answered my question with "Holden Commodore" when I asked "I bought the most Australian car I could find - a ute, clearly. What do you think I bought?" Note the cupholder cutouts in the tailgate that are the exact right size for a bottle of wine.

She's now legal for import and use on Canadian roads - 15 years old - but I left Tassie in February of 2013. I *should* have bought a 1998 or older ute and arranged transport back to Canada. Poking around suggests not-in-a-container shipping from Melbourne to Vancouver, after the vehicle shows up with all fluids removed and the necessary paperwork in order, would have cost around $1200. If it's well packed and tied down (or completely inside) you can put anything you like in the car to come with it (obvious contraband excepted) so if you go this route it seems wise to pick up a pile of spare parts before you leave Down Under.
Out-of-country safety inspection and registration in B.C. is more of a gamble, but assuming nothing major is wrong with it I'd bet around $300. Insurance I have no idea, but it probably starts somewhere near most home-built kit cars.

Nice, I was looking earlier today and looks like the Holden Commodore VU Maloo (LS1!) is legal for import now (or sometime this year) but they still seem to be going for $10K+ Aussie bucks.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

McTinkerson posted:

Australian dollar is basically on par with the Canadian - now's the time to be buying stuff from down under. (Like all the rotary goodies - Microtech, ITB kits, multi piece E-shafts all at 1:1.)

I did buy 15 packs of Tim Tams before I left. Coles (supermarket) had them at 2/$5

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Saw that BMW i8 in Edmonton today by my building, those things look really good in person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

I think I saw my new worst back window vinyl yesterday. Driving up Highway 2 yesterday just north of Red Deer and get passed by a lifted F-250 bro truck with this (though it didn't have the Ford logo in place of the O)