Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
Sorry to derail lovely Calgary weather/driver chat, but I have a question for all my fellow Alberta dwellers.

I'm looking to find a subaru wrx (preferably STI because 6 speed) as a side project/winter beater because apparently I have to have vehicles in 2 different sides of the province. Is there a special place where I can look for a decently priced one of these without having to pay 25,000 for a used one? Auctions? I'm finding that Autotrader and Kijiji have some really high prices for like 8-9 year old cars. I'm not really picky as far as year, I've just had a nerd boner for an STI for as long as I can remember and have finally decided I'm going to try to get one and work on it (ruin it) myself.

I "commute" from Calgary to 30 minutes east of Dawson Creek a couple times a month with my newer car, so basically I'd be able to pick it up from anywhere in AB between there, I'm just having trouble on where to find something that the PO doesn't think has magically kept 80% of its value over 10 years of Alberta winters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're looking at the wrong time of the year, but 04-05 STI prices are just now starting to collapse.

Thanks for the info, I'm really lost when it comes to the used Subaru market. Any advice on the best places to look once the prices start collapsing?

originalnickname
Mar 9, 2005

tree
I don't even think it will take that long, every person I know who works on a rig is either shutting down in the next few weeks or shut down already. Knowing how most of these guys are running their finances, I give it 3 months max before those guys are out of money and selling/losing everything they own, and then all the knock on effects will start coming around to everyone else not directly working in the oil industry or the government..

I think a lot of people really underestimate how tightly the Alberta economy is tied to the oilfield, and if this turns into an 80's style oil bust, nobody's going to be unaffected, I mean people are already taking shots at Alberta Health Services for having like 1000 employees making six figures, and I think it'll only spiral out from there. If public servants aren't safe, I don't really think many people who live and work in Alberta are going to be unaffected, regardless of occupation or how removed from oil money they think they are. On the plus side, I bet there's going to be some really good deals on 1 ton diesels that'd still be a smoking deal even after unfucking suspensions and drivetrains.

I've been to the Edson Wal-Mart. Meth is a hell of a drug.