Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Fort Garry, they have pretty much everything.

https://www.fortgarryindustries.com/locations/

Thanks. Ill check them out. Forgot about them cause they're kinda hidden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Brother in law runs a Ford dealership and they have some weird policies regarding used vehicles going down south also. Like people coming up trying to buy 30 used f350's at a time and being shady about it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
-22 tonight according to my phone.

My work truck has dual webasto heaters. One for the cab and one for the engine. The engine one fires up and doesn't let the coolant dip below 0, and I turn on the cab one when I park at night. I come back at 5am and it's room temp inside and no snow to scrape off.

Apparently they burn about 4L of fuel per 24 hours runtime. A lot better than the 6L of fuel per hour to let the engine idle.

We will see how well it works at -22.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Mister fancy with all his webastos in his luxury european truck. Back in my day, we slept in the truck down to -15 with the truck shut off. Some days we had to put a torch on the oil pan to get the truck running. you kids don't know how good you have it.

We got super lucky with a really nice fall so far. Even the current forecast has +1 by the middle of the month, which is good, because i haven't done gently caress all to prepare for winter.

LoL at trican we used to just run the trucks 24/7 at high idle whenever it was below -15. And then do a filter and oil swap every 300 hours. :(

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They don't seem to GPS track those machines. I found one in the woods few years ago. They stole a pickup in GP, drove to dawson creek, pulled the ATM, brought it back to GP and then cut it apart in the woods. They also left a Honda generator, a bunch of cutting discs, and some powerfist sledge hammers.

The news claimed that they scored over $60,000. Nobody would've known the ATM location had I not called it in.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Been idling my equipment since Monday. Hello "soot level critical shutdown immediately"

Got a mechanic appointment on Tuesday to get this factory engine Webasto working. Combined with the block heater and oil pan heater I might be able to just sit it plugged in without having to idle it.

Atleast with this downtime I have time to swap the transfer case in the 6x6.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

Where i parked my truck there was nowhere to plug in, and the coldest i started my truck without a block heater was around -30 it rained soot, and i had to sit there freezing for a while before i could let the clutch out. the shifter was almost impossible to move.

There were a couple days it took a torch on the oil pan, and a week or two i left it running, but it was a small engine with starter probably 3 times the size of a C15s.

My bigger problem with these temps was ice in the air lines. The tractor protection valve was under under the hood, so it would melt any ice in that part of the system, and send it out into the trailer that was still -40. at one point i had to pop the hatches and jam the air valves open with a pipe wrench to unload.

We've had a pretty good year so far, so i can put up with a month of cold, but if this poo poo carries on into march or April, I will not be a happy camper.

Yeah I was chasing down an air leak on the trailer (ended up being a popped airbag) and blew the brakes for a moment to try to isolate it. Big mistake. I don't know what froze, or where, but the trailer wouldn't accept air to charge back up after.

After dumping 2 liters of methyl hydrate in the supply line and application line and then spiking the brakes, an hour later I was standing there in -47 temps plus a crazy windchill about to call the mechanics of at 2am, and I look over and everything is inflated and the airbag isn't leaking anymore.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bad day at work. Had to go to Zama City. Brought along the cat since I didnt want to leave him alone for a bunch of days.

Used roughly 1000L of fuel for the trip. After a lovely sleep I got into location to load 40tons of crude. First my pump froze because I left some fresh water in it overnight (only -10) so I had to get a plant operator to find a kerosene heater, making me look like an amateur.

Ok so I get thawed out and loaded. Only 4 hours behind. Then as I'm rolling up hoses with pump suction on, I get the last section rolled, close the main load valve, turn off the pump and whoosh. Get covered in crude and spray it across the ground.

So I either clean it up with a shovel or they call a vac truck in from high level at $225 per hour. Finally get cleaned up as best as I can, smelling like earth's anal discharge, and now the goat trail road has thawed and I'm weighing in at 145,000lbs. So I chain up and then have a very sketchy 68km drive out to pavement at zama. Then a 9 hour trip back to laglace to unload. Started at Friday 1pm, finished Sunday 1pm. A 20 hour trip ended up being 36 hours. Now I have to go clean crude off the equipment and head back up.

I guess there's 2 ways to get rich,

1 be smart and doing really profitable things

2 be an idiot like me and just keep bashing your head into the bank vault until it opens.

Also holy gently caress... zama city, every structure is on a skid or on piles.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah I drove straight back, unloaded and slept at home. Place makes red earth look like Cancun.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We had snow yesterday. Just as things were drying up.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
PowerShift,

Northern Alberta isn't burning up. It's loving snowing.

I'm so over insured for fire that Canada burning would be a great financial payoff. I am not insured for snow.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What do you expect from a company built on the ashes of well engineered gas chambers. GAS chambers... Not hybrid electric chambers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm thinking of buying a 6.0L powerstroke

LoL if I can get one cheap enough and bulletproof it...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Our 2007 Ford F-350 XL Crew Cab 4X4 Dually displayed in White is an excellent choice! Powered by a proven 6.0 Liter V8 that offers plenty of energy while mated to an Automatic Transmission. This Four Wheel Drive will work hard so you don't have to while rewarding with decent economy. The muscular exterior reveals chrome bumpers, prominent wheels, and running boards. Our F-350 pampers you with supportive seats, power accessories, AM/FM/CD player audio system, steering wheel audio controls, and so much more.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha yeah I know it's an idiot move.

But if you do an egr delete, and swap that ficm module for an aftermarket, and the remote oil cooler/sand collector the. The engines are actually reliable if you catch them early.

I need a flat deck truck, don't want to pay Cummins prices and just generally don't like the Dodge trucks. It would be a work truck and travel trailer hauler.

Under 100,000km... I wonder if they would take $8 for it.

Edit: also it's a manual trans.

2006 Ford F350 4x4 Cab and Chassis,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...ent=app_android

Price: $ 10,000

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Holy gently caress I want a top kick

And I'd swap the decal to say top cuck

Edit: no good deals on Kijiji or Facebook. Can I check listings on Ritchie Bros and the other auctions without creating logins ?

Edit edit: apparently I have a login and the app installed already haha

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 5, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My buddy has an ford f650 on super singles. With the Allison trans, Cummins 5.9 and Harley Davidson interior.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure if it's 4x4. It wasn't when he bought it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

If he works around Rimbey and pulls a lifted fifth wheel with it, i've seen him out there with it

If not, there's more than one of em like that running aroound.

Nope it's in Surrey. They used the truck as a backdrop for group photos at a friend's funeral. 🤔

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hey PowerShift, if an f550 with 4.88 rear gets 19L/100km unladen cruising 110kph, what do you think it would get with a gooseneck and a 10,000lb load?

I'm having trouble finding towing mileage.

I'm thinking of doing some hotshot work when fall breakup hits.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Am I an idiot for considering driving all the way down to grab this with my car hauler ?

2003 Ford F-350 Cummins ,

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What about this one ? Blue interior !

1999 Ford F-350 Dually 7.3L V8 Diesel ***Very clean, 4x4***,

Price: $ 12,999

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm a huge retard idiot. Let operation timebomb begin.

New manual trans, new clutch, new turbo, injectors pulled and flowed. No body rust whatsoever. Missing head trim and rear seats. But I have a friend with 2 lariats from the same year I can pull from before he scraps them.

Owner told me I wouldn't make it back to GP because the truck "weighs 14000lbs"

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where's the closest place to GP to get a recognised race license for pavement track days ? Just spent a week at area 27 and I have the road racing bug again. Apparently solo2/autocross and VR practice aren't enough to go out solo on the track. I can do a course there but it would be easier to do it somewhere in Alberta.

Also I've owned and been in fast acceleration cars. This thing brakes and turns in so hard it gave me sea sickness.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McTinkerson posted:

Castrol Raceway. NASCC every spring holds a weekend race license course.

Trackjunkies also hosts HPDE at Castrol Raceway at least once a month.

Thanks. Any idea what a good website is for canadian racecars for sale ? racingjunk seems to be all american listings. trying to decide between modern miata, rx8, 370z etc. S2000's really seem to be holding their value. I want something I can gut and toss a cage in and maybe just upgrade brake pads and tires.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 18, 2019

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That BMW isn't bad either. I'm sure there are fiberglass fenders available. Gut it except the 2 front seats, cage, window nets, fire extinguisher. I'll watch that one and if it's still cheap before my birthday when the auction ends I might grab it.

Also thinking of getting short coilovers made for my wildcat xx. I need to get that thing down low for ice racing anyways. Gonna do some measurements and use qa1's spring calculator to get some spring rates for it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait a moment. That c5 Vette has a supercharger on it.

Can't tell if that's a vortech, procharger or Paxton though. I've had a Paxton Novi 2000 on a Mustang and I think the stamp was black writing so I'm leaning towards some model of vortech.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I had a cts4 sport package with snow tires on it as a winter car a few years ago. That was probably my fav winter car of all time. with the 40/60 awd system or whatever it was.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well assoc. that hosts the 3 ice races this winter cancelled the UTV class last minute because the registration wasn't high enough. Leaving me with a race machine setup with no events after I spent $3k in mods to set it up.

Can anyone tell me if there are any ice race or rally circuit type events in Alberta that I could travel to ? It's a Wildcat XX UTV with safety harnesses, metal roof, half windshield and 4 wheel drive. Weighs in around 2050lbs in race dress up. I have spiked tires and normal tires.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

just another posted:

Anyone out towards Grande Prairie who can give me an idea of what backroad driving is like in the winter? Does it accumulate or does it get so cold that it blows off?

Will be up that way next winter. My hatchback was a champ with winters on but I need to upsize and I'm debating between a Pacifica, an AWD Sienna, and a Traverse. And maybe a Suburban depending on how the new model looks and how much I hate fiscal responsibility.

Explorer has third row seats.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So, my friend decided that windrows are for losers, and used the front bumper of her new ram 1500 sport to flatten out the windrow. I believe alcohol is involved. Anyone know of any alberta steel bumper fabricators that are cheaper than m-line ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
EcoBoost 3.5 started at -41 without a block heater. But it went into limp mode for a bit with a check engine light.

Also found this in a paper bag in the back seat. It's frozen solid, and pushed a bunch out of the sealed cap. Opened the door to vodka smell.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use interstate batteries. The used warranty is pretty decent. It's prorated after a certain time limit.
Or gently caress it, costco.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you really don't even need good batteries. You just need batteries that aren't bad.

I need 2 group 65's for the f350. Gonna go shopping tomorrow. My electronic "smart" charger says they're hosed.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hey powershift, if I have a bad power steering leak and the reservoir runs dry on a 6.0, will the power steering pump self destruct ? Trying to decide if I should fill it up, make a huge mess in the driveway to get it onto my car hauler, or let it run dry and drive the 20 mins to the farm shop with armstrong steering.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
yeah i ended up loading it up and dropped it off at the shop. It's getting all the hoses replaced, and a bunch of other poo poo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I went to Edmonton and adopted this lynx point coon.
He's slightly under weight at 25lbs, and the Vet wants to see him up around 30.
His name is Scuddles. Not my first choice in a name but he comes running when you call him by name. Sometimes I call him Scud. Like the missile.

Next on the list: Shark IQ Robot vac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Apparently Scuddles is from little mermaid.