Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Matt18001 posted:

All that oil sands money has dried up these days. All the fancy toys are selling for super cheap because people can't afford their payments anymore. You're more than welcome to come and try though.

The life of a Newfie: Can't hold job as Walmart greeter in a province that has no work. Books flight with Capital One mastercard to Alberta, gets hired on, skips from job to job making $10,000 per month, rents a single bedroom, somehow is broke at the end of each month. Shops for things by the bi-weekly payments. Has a sled, an ATV, A lifted diesel truck fitted out with every cheesy accessory from Newfie Speed & Sport (Canadian Tire). Don't forget the "East Coast Lifestyle" sticker.

Then the price of oil tanks, and the Newfie is now making $2500 a month and has $8500 in payments, a cocaine habit and a child with a Welfare queen. Time to head back to Newfoundland claiming he "misses the sea" and ignore debt collectors for the next 6 years.

Rinse repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On a side note, the Newfies are some of the nicest people I have ever met, and they certainly work hard. Can't understand them once they're drunk.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That Lincoln would be great with a non flashy plastidip coating on it.

Edit: not paying attention. Not a Lincoln. Although basically a Lincoln.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been thinking of doing a side business doing plastidip coating poo poo. The investment is low and overhead is almost non existent. And the product itself doesn't require the skills of a master painter

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

What the gently caress kijiji, why won't any of you answer my texts, phone calls, or emails.

It's like you don't want me to give you thousands of dollars for your loving trucks.

Buying a used 3/4 or 1 ton should not be this hard in Alberta.

Generally poo poo people. "Oh that truck got sold weeks ago" Well then wtf do you have the ad up ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well poo poo, didn't make the latest round of job cuts. Maybe I should go back to the dark side and haul fluid.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It just sucks because I really enjoyed my job and was really good at it. Unfortunately management saw it differently. A majority if the employees break commercial transport laws in order to make extra money and make it easier on management. I refused to run illegal log books or run overweight and got let go. Oh well, time to find an employer that isn't amateur hour.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry, jonathan. I really hope you land on your feet.

Financially I am fine, I had some job offers before I even left the work parking lot, but it just kind of through me into a spin because now I have a bunch of avenues to explore and indicision as to what I want to do. Driving heavy things safely is kind of my calling, but it sure would be nice to go to a school and learn to be a pro quality welder and fabricator. But that would only really serve me at home.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iv46vi posted:

Welders are paid much better than drivers. Get a pressure vessel ticket for something that's not oilfield.

Depends, I wasn't just a driver, I was doing well casing cementing with a crew, so I was paid well. Well enough to not wish for more money. If I get back into fluid hauling or bottles ie liquid nitrogen I could likely do just as well. Some coworkers of my brother made over 170k in 2014.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yay, ex finally got her own vehicle and returned my truck. She picked up a 2014 Cruze with 9000km for $15,700.

So hurray for crew cab long box trucks in white. Mine has the VVTI Hemi 5.7L. In town it gets around 22L/100km and cruising at 110km/h with a headwind it averages 14. I wish it has cylinder deactivation like the half tons.

First 2 mods im doing are plastidip and pulling a leaf spring in the back and then doing airbag helpers.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

I thought you just bought a Cummins or something for your RV? Or was that the Ex's vehicle that was returned? Did you lose your shirt?

That was this one, but not a diesel. As much as I love the romance of pulling hills with a nice modern diesel and a nice trailer, the reality of a diesel in Northern Alberta with all the associated costs and constant horror stories means I settled for a gas motor. As for the break up I did alright. We negotiated and settled without lawyers. Everything was pretty smooth.

Edit: Yay, got hired on with a pretty cool company I've had my eye on for awhile. Pending a drug test. I'm uncomfortable mentioning their name however I will hint that they have an Indycar team with a car in full company livery.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 12, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just FYI my 2001 Kenworth 14L Cummins averaged better than 4mpg. That's with a loaded weight of over 100,000lbs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Move to the lawless north.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Metal in oil isn't as bad as you'd think. Provided it isn't copper. Although modern bearings might not even have copper cores.

Basically some metal dusting and particles is pretty common. Its metal chunks that are worry some.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Vancouver I've seen 3 separate Tesla sedans and each one was being driven by an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pocketbike and 50cc moto races are also held on those tracks. And yeah a lowered UTV would be pretty cool, or add some dirt piles as jumps for a rally-x style course.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ain't no way anyone older than about sixteen can do three hours straight in a loving shifter kart.

Generally you split it up with more than one driver, but if you don't have a regular routine, more than a 1/2 hour in a cart is going to cause major fatigue. I've done 2 hours at an indoor track, polished concrete and being in very good shape I was still hosed up for 3 days after. Triceps, lats and neck took the most beating. Also I wore a raw spot into my back.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah to continue with Powershift's talk of fatigue on the road, it's ironic that the laws in place for hours of service really don't do anything but make it difficult to sleep when you need to. I can't tell you how many loving times through the years, especially running hard in the USA, where I would get maybe 3 hours sleep and then sit around playing solitaire for 7 hours before getting back on the road, because even though I'm not the least bit tired, the law says I have to pull over. And then 5 hours into my shift, now I'm dead loving tired and perfectly legal to drive.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yup, it varies from city to city but if they were unaware of the pothole, they don't have a responsibility to help with repair costs, if they knew about the pothole, they have something like 48 hours to fix it and after that are partly responsible for vehicle damage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is the "loop" ? Is that the Surrey to lillooet to pemberton - whistler to Surrey run ?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Yeah, that's really about the best road for the largest length of it, but only do it if you don't give a poo poo about your windshield.

Hwy 40 from Hinton to GP is another option for the far north leg (and much easier on the vehicle) but I find it boring as gently caress.

From the US border at Waterton (a couple of crossings) North to Pincher, cut over to the Crowsnest Pass and up the Forest Trunk road is pretty nice. Hwy 22 North of Pincher is a reasonable too, far more scenic than Hwy 2 at least.

Typically the Forestry Trunk road is closed north of Coleman until late May if not early June.

There is the forestry trunk road from Hinton to just east of GP as well. 80km/h speed limit.

Edit: The actual FTR comes out at high 40 around 45km south of Grande Cache, but can be linked up to Hinton via some other roads.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Every futureshop I know of has a bestbuy in the same parking lot. And it's on purpose. Most of the Best Buy stores that were built 10 years ago or whenever they moved in were built next to Futureshop. I never did like futureshop due to their commission based sales.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I was heading home from work last night, around 8:30pm. I meet probably 6 funbusters with sirens on hauling rear end the opposite way. Whatever, probably a death or shooting or whatever.

I get home and a friend calls me "Dude, someone is barricaded up with an AR15 at the Halliburton base and he's trying to blow the place up!"

With the way these well service companies treat their employees, I kind of hope he pulls off his mission.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was at the Target in Langley. They had the display TV's for really cheap. I tried to buy a few and the guy working that section told me "Can't sell them for another week" I told him I'll buy 5 TV's right now and pull my truck up.

He says "I can't do it I'd get fired" and I said "Um, you're getting fired anyways!". Then I felt all bad and said sorry.

But really, when you're in your late teens and you get fired from a minimum wage job I was pretty much like " sweet off to the liqour store I'm going camping"

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
at 300lbs, thats a heavy dirtbike. Pretty much weighs as much as a light sportbike.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
that survey thing said I should vote for all the parties. I havent been voting because I seriously have no clue about alberta politics. In BC there was a new scandal every day. Out here it's much more boring.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Car guys tend to be a bit less internetty than other forum type people. We're still geeks but we don't ride the bus at least.

I'd come out if I lived closer.

On a side note I joined the gpmra rc racers club. If I had stuck to rc cars instead of 800hp fox mustangs I'd probably be paying off my third house by now. I just broke my one off road car in half last night. Oops. There goes $30.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1500quidporsche posted:

Will a V8 actually fit? I know the V6 is just a V8 with two cylinders cut out. I was thinking about doing something like that down the line but I imagine the snub nose design of those vans would make packaging a bit tricky. Have to take a closer look. Going to be hitting the ground running building a little platform in the interior to hold the kart and store tools.

I don't know the chassis but the engine is a basic 125cc Rotax two stroke. I don't see why you couldn't do a Martini livery, I'll have to look at the rules for fake sponsors though. I was going to make my own livery but honestly its not like I'm going to get any real sponsors for the foreseeable future, it'd be more fun having a martini livery.

Edit: worth noting the guy I'm buying the kart from has an old suit with an AGIP patch on it. Had no clue how cool that was or what AGIP was, he just bought it off eBay because it was cheap.

A buddy of mine is a quadriplegic. He owns the fastest safari/astro van in the world. It features a suicide knob steering wheel, wheelchair load and unload lift, full front to back cage, tubbed rear with 4-link suspension, and large v8 with kenne bell (or Whipple?) Blower. So yeah a v8 can fit.

Oops I lied. I think its the fastest wheelchair ramp equipped vehicle in the world.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 13, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just get the AWD version. Then the load is shared by 2 diffs.

The transfer case in those is pretty strong.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I see one of those maclaren p83635283;4;4+jebrvtjdirbrbrfag cars in GP when the weather is nice.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Does that shifty as gently caress real estate agent still have that Diablo?

Jason Scott ? He's on every billboard and bus sign in GP. He's officially GP's eyesore. He even shows up on youtube ads on devices I don't run an ad blocker on.

Not sure what vehicles he has, but he drives around in a turbo cheyanne usually. With that said. The limited encounters ive had with him, he seems decent. Can't blame a person for having a large advertising budget.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A friend sideswiped a telephone pole in one of those old boxy mr2's. Had the transformer come down through the sunroof.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Drove from 0 to km 73 on the Forest trunk road on Saturday, slept at the Canford haul road from 1am until 8, woke up to 4" of snow. Loaded 20,000 litres of crude, drove 75km back in soupy 5" of mud with a hard base. Got to Valleyview and noticed a flat tire. Fixed, unloaded, attempted to drive back to GP, got a low DEF warning light. Stopped in Debolt, poured in more DEF only to have it pour out from under the truck right onto the ground. Got home on a flatbed. Went to rescue a buddy in my ram, got some good wheelhop while pulling his TJ out of a trail without 1 wheel. Broke a front axle shaft or possibly the transfer case.

Ok fine, got a gooseneck and hauled that truck down to A1 driveline. Now my JK Rubicon steering knuckle u joints are shot. Pulled the axles out tonight and broke a wheelspeed sensor while doing so.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah find a dad who iSNT A loving COMMUNIST

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Seriously considering buying a used chevy volt. Kind of expensive but with a charge plug at work I can pretty much never pay for fuel except for holidays. With my two daily drivers averaging about 10mpg, this might not be as financially stupid as I first thought.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
2012 Volt's are going for $15k cdn stateside with 50% warranty left. Now I'm probably looking at $1000 to get it back into canada with fuel and brokerage, but my ex just purchased a 2013 Cruze in LT trim used at $15,500. Apples to oranges as the Cruze had less than 10,000km but still, at $16000, the Volt becomes attractive if I calculate a fuel savings of roughly $350 per month.

Edit: Also been thinking of selling the Rubicon. Just did knuckle u joints, I have ball joints and wheel bearings coming from rock auto. After that it's either some big beefy expensive upgrades to handle these 37" tires, or sell it all and take a 33% value hit over 6 years of ownership which isn't bad at all.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 28, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1500quidporsche posted:

Are you factoring in a rise in your electrical bill? I don't think its much but it may impact your decision.

No because I'd charge it at work. I have a block heater outlet at my company truck's parking spot which i'm free to use. It would be a 6 hour charge, but I usually work 12 hour days minimum.

At a 28,000 price tag it doesn't make sense. In my sort of niche situation, it kind of almost makes sense to have a cool techy blinky light car.

One odd thing, That Chevy cruze gives me motion sickness even when driving. However it may be due to just not being used to a lower vehicle.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

Looking at Seattle craigs, there is quite a few Volts to choose from, but a nice one for $15K US might not be easy. Where are you seeing them go for $15K CDN?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=volt

Even if you are able to score one for around $15K, by the time you go CDN$, getting there, getting it back, RIV inspection, any other importation bullshit, you'll pretty easily be over $20K :canada:

What is the electrical consumption for a Volt anyhow? It should be pretty easy to ballpark the electricity charge cost. I also understand the -20 performance of them is pretty abysmal, as in the gas engine runs pretty much runs all the time.

I've seen about a dozen in that price range in Texas/Nevada/Arizona in the last 6 months.
It is not $5000 to import a vehicle. LoL what ? I would be broke if that were the case. There is GST to pay, but that is charged at a dealership anyways. It's about $600 if you're lazy like me and get all the brokerage and paperwork done for you. It's around $180 if you do it yourself including the air-con tax.
The motor doesn't run all the time.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chevrolet-Volt-2011-VOLT-NAV-ELECTRIC-XENONS-BOSE-ALLOY-BLUETOOTH-/161677048881?hash=item25a4b3fc31 <---Under 16k for this one currently.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 29, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrakeriderCa posted:

You'll definitely want to check into the transferability of the warranty. When Canadians started buying lots of American cars, a bunch of manufacturers stopped honouring American warranties in Canada to protect their Canadian price fixing dealer costs.

That is a good point. I will have to doublecheck on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

slidebite posted:

No its not $5k to import I never said that. I said converting $15k from US and bringing it up is $20k

E:posting from phone sux

Oh oops. Yeah no I wasn't as clear, it was $12,000ish USD. Anyways every time I drive this Jeep to somehwere fun like the bonfire on the river last night, makes me want to keep it. But 95% of the time it sucks to drive.