Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

haha what the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GrantC posted:

Then I remembered the (very good) poutine place that opened up by the UofA. https://www.google.ca/search?q=la+poutine

Come on by, Subaru-bro!

If he's driving from the US, a decent Poutinerie (is that a word?) opened in Lethridge too.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/72/1834879/restaurant/Alberta/Piggyback-Poutinerie-Lethbridge

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Someone saw the "City of Champions" sign and had a heart attack thinking they were all of a sudden in time-warp back to the 80s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrChips posted:

We have the worst loving radio stations here in Alberta. If it isn't Cuntry music, you're listening to THE EAGLEBADGERBEAR PLAYING THE SAME FIVE JOURNEY SONGS EVERY HOUR DUDE or some insufferable pre-canned Top 40 station.
Oh god, this is so true it hurts. When I got transferred back to Alberta from Vancouver in the mid 90s, I realized how good CFOX was after getting stuck listening to poo poo-tastic CFGP in Grande Prairie again.

Satellite radio up north was a godsend.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I saw around town the other day

"Sketchy" Taxis

Unit #69

2 pink 1 stink logo and littered with Liquor delivery ads.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

Man, it's gonna be hot this week.

Hot for this area, anyway.

You guys doing anything fun for august long? I'm going to see if I can trick my sister into working on my car with me.

Going to go for a day hike to Writing-on-stone and check out the old carvings vandalized remains. If I can pull it off, other than that, change the oil on the bike and car and drink beer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

Anything exciting going on in Lethbridge? Here for awhile staying with my grandparents and doing some work around the house.

Uh, no. Wanna go get drunk?

e: Which end of town are you staying?
double e: Big town you know

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 8, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

North side, just off 13th st/9th ave. Will probably go get some drinks with my sister at some point this weekend. Went and saw xmen by myself tonight.
Uplands myself, I go up/down corner of 9th @ 13th daily.

Too bad you saw the movie stag, Mrs. Slidebite and I were going to go to that as well and probably would have joined you.

I'll fire you a PM.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jamal posted:

I thought xmen was pretty decent, especially compared to the last few. Plus it was at the cheap theatre so it was like $10 with snacks. I would go see guardians.

The movie mill is pretty good for a cheap theater. I will probably see guardians there too when it makes it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I see it almost daily in Lethbridge, shocked you don't in the Hat since it's even more inbred there.

Other Alberta news, some rich Calgary gently caress made Yahoo news for leaving his Carerra GT unloved for a very long time in a high rise garage.

https://ca.autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/-440-000-porsche-carrera-gt-sits-neglected-in-a-canadian-parking-garage-184903039.html

You can tell it is Calgary by the Lincoln Mark LT parked next to it. :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kastein posted:

someone, somehow, starting a rumor in the retard bro truck community that only THE GAYS roll coal and keep their tow mirrors flipped out to indicate they'd like to meet in a public restroom, it's gone down quite a bit.

I'm not sure I like the reasons they're cutting back on it, but I am OK with the results.

haha holy poo poo. It's so crazy and the big diesels are so obviously substitutes for insecure manhood I could believe it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.canadianblackbook.com/

can give you an idea too, but I would just look at kijiji asking prices as a rough guide line.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

This summer loving sucks :mad:

Typically down here you can count on late June, July, Aug, most of Sept to be 30+ and gorgeous. Instead, we're under frost warnings and it's snowing in the god drat foothills.

gently caress this lovely year.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is cool as hell. :monocle:

I've got a new 2015 Tacoma coming in the next couple months (company truck) that has these 120V plugs next to the foglight. As a northerner, I find that cool in general but since I have a garage it'll be put inside any night colder than -15C because I'm a suck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

gently caress that noise. I like a warm truck in the morning and don't want to scrape the windshield.

Besides, it will be my truck, at least for a short while. Tacoma = stupid resale. Buy it out at the end of the company lease and flip it for easy :10bux:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Circulating heaters are the cats rear end. Not only do they heat the engine better, your heater will put out warm air immediately and will warm up super fast. Get a good one though.

Powershift posted:

scraping windows? what are you talking about? it was 27 degrees today.

Not today, in winter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Terrible Robot posted:

A house that is 75% garage space. I like the cut of this guy's jib.

My inlaws are getting well into senior-hood and moving back to Canada. The just bought a beautiful lot in town and doing a custom build home so they're asking for input since, well, we'll probably be inheriting it in the coming decade(s) if we still live here.

My input: Cat6+ in each room of the house and an oversize heated triple garage with a mezzanine.

They're doing both :dance:

I'll be able to park my stuff there in the winter now since they have 1 car

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

jonathan posted:

Can anyone tell me a good place to get a Bluetooth transponder for my odb2 port ? I want to run Torque or whatever on my ghetto dash mounted android tablet.

I bought one of these from Amazon a few months back, but I haven't used it yet so I can't say if its any good or not.

http://www.amazon.ca/DoDoCool-Bluet...=obd2+bluetooth

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If it's not prime eligible, it's probably coming from China/Hong Kong. So if you want to make sure it's quick, see if it's sold or fullfilled by Amazon.

That said, seems to me mine only took about 2 weeks. Hell, I ordered a soft case for my drone last month from Hong Kong on Amazon and I get the thing, I poo poo you not, 4 days later. Blew me away.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/saskatchewan-winter-too-much-for-one-cbc-radio-listener-1.2840916

Not Alberta, but :canada:

1 minute on it gets good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrChips posted:

If Saskatchewan is the rear end in a top hat of the world, does that make Alberta the hemorrhoid of the world?

gunt
There is enough fat hillbilly trailer trash here, it really is.

Gotta admit though, I love the far south. Even though it's full of bible thumpers gently caress me there are a lot of attractive women and the weather is generally pretty decent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

^^ Get out you Saskatchewan hutterite

Timmy Cruise posted:

Haha that makes sense now with all the pro life billboards on #3

If I had money to burn I'd buy a chunk of highway frontage and put up a billboard on either the Crowsnest or Hwy 4 to the US border that says "ABORTIONS FOR ALL" just for the frothing at the mouth letters to the editor in the paper that would immediately follow.

I mean, we have an honest to god Creation Museum down here.

The ironic part is that Lethbridge itself is a diverse & vibrant city (well, as much as a 100K city can be) in several ways compared to much of Alberta. We have a great University with students from all over the world and a college with students from all over Canada & US. I think it's largely due to the negligible oil/gas industry base which seems to breed redneck behavior.

But Mormons and hardcore Catholics are everywhere.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think I have ever heard the term "bunnyhug" until now. Sounds sexual. :ohdear:

DrakeriderCa posted:

I miss Lethbridge now

For all its craziness and "gently caress you if you want to do something other than church on a Sunday" attitude, it's still such a great town.

Also you get like two less months of winter

For what it's worth, Lethbridge misses you too. :love:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Turfed the old Subaru?

-25 tonight to +10 forecast for late next week. I do prefer the south. :shobon:

So I just ordered a new Tacoma 4x4 company truck a few weeks back since my 2011 is getting miled out. Debating whether to buy it out and flip it or not. Can probably get it for "around" $14K, all in. I have no use for it personally since I'll have the 2015 company truck so it wouldd just be a way to make a few bucks. Thoughts? My gut is telling my yes since Kijiji shows them going for stupid prices although some seem almost reasonable so :shrug: but I'm sure a few are scams.

Good shape, probably around 150KMs by the time is all said and done. I'm thinking $19K-ish or is that too optimistic?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do they let you fire it up for viewing?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tommychu posted:

I saw a lineup of cars on my way home taking turns trying to make it up the barely noticeable incline (a little less than that bit of Barlow I'd guess) of 39th street SE, off Memorial. loving :lol:

See these examples of sound decisions from Lethbridge a couple weeks ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpJ16qbqH-I

Sad thing is, we didn't even really have snow until last week.

Powershift posted:

Well, as a back-up, there's a mark V with a $2000 reserve too.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1979-lincoln-continental-mark-v/1042320496?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

gas IS getting cheap again, afterall.

Meh, even so that car needs work. These have been listed for some time for $2900 and I bet if a guy offered either of them $2K you'd get it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/1981-ford-lincoln-mark-vi/1023028794?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/reduced-1974-classic-lincoln-mark-4/1028088672?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I've always been leary of auctions, especially if it's more a $1K. I mean, I'm not piss poor broke but I'm always scared to take the chance :ohdear:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Just give in and fall into the sweet embrace of Subaru
Yes.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Someone should give this guy $1K (maybe less?) and buy his Subaru as a winter beater. In BC but Alta reg. Pretty high K, but looks clean as hell and new clutch.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1997-subaru-legacy-wagon/1037602415?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

e: Maybe not clean as hell, but pretty good.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 7, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry, but trolling kijiji found another one. $12K Maserati.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2003-maserati-coupe-cambiocorsa-coupe-2-door/1028429356?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

quote:

For Sale is a NON-RUNNING Maserati Coupe.

The car was lent to a friend, and had coolant placed inside the oil reservoir. I'm no mechanic, so I'm not sure what the work entails, but my understanding is a light engine rebuild. Also has minor-medium hail damage from the dealership where it was sitting when this happened. The hail is not severe, and could be done by one of the paintless dent shops or if you're handy yourself!

This is a great winter project, and you wont be dissapointed when you're done.

It's fully loaded with paddle shift and 390HP to boot!

Serious offers only please. Feel free to ask any questions.

If you could get away with re-bearing it and a sucker for punishment, it might almost be worthwhile tackling. If the motor doesn't even turn over, whelp.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

+10 in Lethbridge today :supaburn:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

neckbeard posted:

Is diesel under $1.00/L anywhere in the province yet?

Gasbuddy.com shows Diesel getting under $1 in various places in Edmonton, with one outlier Petro Canada on 127th @ 93.9

It's still something like 1.15 in Lethbridge.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A friend of mine used to have one and it was a decent 4x4. Not as nice of a vehicle as a 4-Runner but it still had a decent chassis. I seem to recall they suffered from cancer pretty badly... as in even worse than you'd think.

Maybe a 90s outback? A little higher clearance than the legacy so as long as you aren't needing low range they're not that bad.

Comedy option: That Iltis I linked to in Craigs Gold. :haw:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've wanted to get a cheap XJ for awhile, but have no excuse for one. I think you are a perfect candidate to do so. http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-jeep-cherokee-sport-suv-crossover/1043908106

Thats probably a decent buy even if there is an issue with the front diff. Body looks shockingly good although it might be a 30 foot-er.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As long as your not running over some IPEs in the Edmonton area, it's not going to be any more of a deathtrap than any other small 70s designed vehicle.

But what you really want is a Ferret, they come up from time to time too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iv46vi posted:

The amount of car you can get in this province for 5k is incredibly depressing though. It's a project territory, so you might as well get something potentially nice in the end.

The beautiful thing about the far south is there are so many old people not that part you regularly see 80s and 90s cars with next to nothing milege come up for sale as part of estate or can no longer drive sales.

Granted, chances are extremely slim that you're going to get a minty BMW for $4K, but chances are really good that you'll find a drat nice completely loaded low mileage grandpa car for $3-5K if you keep your eyes open.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think there is something wrong with me, because the only 90s BMW I have any desire to own in the slightest is an E31.

:ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

One nice thing about all the layoffs happening, anytime now there is going to be a glut of toys being listed on kijiji from guys that make $200K a year but so badly in debt and financed out the rear end they still live paycheck to paycheck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Harleys, RVs and diesels should be plentiful.

I've already anecdotally heard a story already about a couple east coasters who have just up and left everything and their rental in fort mac. Seems they packed their clothes and jumped on a bus.

Back when I lived in GP the Honda dealer told me a story about some rig pig who came in and wanted to buy a couple of brand new matching ATVs for him and his girlfriend.

Dealer said absolutely and proceeded to start the financing paperwork but it was quickly apparent there was no way in gently caress the guy could afford conventional financing. Completely financed out the rear end and had pretty much nothing for a down payment. Of course the customer took this as a massive insult, lost it and started to :rant:, fat girlfriend starting beaking off and made a big scene and tore out of the parking lot.

Next day he squeeled up with the big diesel and stormed into the showroom and told the salesguy he had IMPECCABLE credit and got a loan no problem with one of those loanshark outfits (like Avco or Transcanada) so he bought a couple of ATVs at Polaris and HE JUST LOST A SALE MISTER.

Of course the Honda dealer could have done that too but the guy was so far in hock he didn't even want to go down the road of a predatory loan.

That was in about 2007. Pretty sure the guy would have had everything in his possession was repoed within about 6 months after that.

1500quidporsche posted:

If I remember correctly 2008 produced some hilarity from people who were used to just leasing trying to buy sub-$5k cars. "I bought this $3,000 six year old car from a used car lot and now there are some minor things wrong with it, I want my money back"
My niece, bless her stupid ignorant heart, bought a brand new VW a few years back and couldn't understand for the life of her why she simply couldn't return her car a couple months later for a full refund like a toaster from Wal-Mart.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

As long as I don't take a legislated 35% pay cut I'll hopefully take advantage of the depressed market next year for a nice SUV and new car for the wife. :getin:

Get your priorities straight sonny

get a bike

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I was in the market for a sofa on wheels, I'd be on this.

Certainly a grandparent that kicked the bucket with 74K for 30 years old.

My Grandparents had one virtually identical to this but with a Buick 350 and it was super comfortable to float around in.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/lethbridge/buick-lesaber-loaded-for-sale-in-lethbridge-area/1020866873?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

These things have so much under hood room and came from the factory with such a mix-mash of engine options, I suspect you could literally put any GM based motor in there without a ton of difficulty.

The trunk was utterly massive too. I remember playing hide and seek as a kid and a few of us hid in there at the same time.