Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/racetrack-alberta-carstairs-motorsports-1.6218964
So, this seems to be further along than I thought. Appears to be all asphalted and planing for a spring opening as long as winter isn't too harsh.

I did not realize it was right off the intersection of Secondary 581 & QE2. That is super easy to access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not much, but autopartsway.ca has a 10% code

BLK2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So, I went to Kijiji trying to see if anyone locally had a cheap patio heater they were trying to get rid of.

gently caress me. The *only* thing that came up was sponsored ads, 99% Wayfair with a smattering of bestbuy in the banner ads. No ads from humans at all that I could see and no filters I could see.

Is there a way to see "real" ads or has Kijiji totally poo poo the bed just like you expect them to? I can't believe in an area of the entirety of Alberta south of Calgary nobody has a patio heater for sale.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ugh - thanks for letting me know. I'll play around with it. Patio Heater turned up 435 results and every. single. one. was a sponsored ad from Wayfair or something.

No loving way am I going to join facebook for classifieds. I hate them more than ebay, and I absolutely loathe ebay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a website to get a spitball wholesale/dealer trade in value on a car without jumping through a bunch of hoops/registering and then having to fend off car salesman?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks, KBB is better than nothing.

Reason being, a friend of mine has a 2018 Lexus RC AWD. I know zero about those cars and the little bit of research they seem to be a somewhat underwhelming car, but he was just going to have Lexus give him trade in value for it because he never drives it. I think he has a whopping 7K on it. If I can get it for a reasonable enough $$ (trying to see what trade in/wholesale is) I *might* consider it for replacing our 2011 Legacy that we bought new.

I'm guessing $40K-ish?

TBH, I'm not sure if we should even consider gas for our next ""highway" car, or primarily for the wife when I'm not around.

This would be in addition to the company owned work truck and 911 which is purely a toy car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bajaha posted:

VMRCanada is my go to.

Thanks I like that one. For what its worth at least.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Huh, my insurance premium hardly changed at all this year, like less than inflation. My home actually went down.

Are all of them similar for him?

I know young males get turbo hosed, but that sounds fishy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lethbridge had the big flagship "street wheelers" festival a couple weeks back. Like usual, I stayed away. The car show at the main park downtown can be kinda neat but the moron-o-rama of idiots on the road all weekend wears thin. The cops are literally running non-stop getting mouthbreathers that think a public road is a track or teenaged boys who think anyone other than themselves like the sound of their 2004 corolla with fart cans.

Powershift posted:

The new race track by Carstairs opened up. $45k membership, $3,500 a year fees, and they have the balls to ask for volunteers for stuff.
Nice. It's a pretty good business model if they can get away with it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ man. I heard about that last night. 4+ inch hail is no joke.

Red Deer always seems to get nailed. The insurance claims out of this will be interesting.

Glad you seem unscathed, it would wear on me too.

e:
Here's another one
https://twitter.com/MattBear3135/status/1554322644006105090?s=20&t=X5iWZUj7r_mRcG3m_5E3LA

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 3, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good ol southern alberta, where a 40C temp swing inside a few days is totally normal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah no poo poo. Woke up today, 15C warmer than when I went to bed and now see the forecast is calling for rain early next week LMAO

What a loving mess it's going to be. Glad I have next week off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So is the use like truck market and Toyota's in particular still stupid high?

I've got an option to buy out a 2010 Tacoma fleet vehicle from my company. Fair to good condition 212k. Paint chips for sure, but I'll replace the windshield and any dents through a microdent place. Extended cab. Not double cab, but it is an auto 4x4 and a TRD sticker on the box. Whether that means something or not, I don't know. .

Mechanically solid.

Trying to get a rough idea for market price. Think it's 20k?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK - thanks. Just mulling over whether it's worth my time. Might be.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmmm. My fleet buyout is in the low teens. By the time I put some time and a couple K into it, might be a little close.

It does run really well though, but has a lot of paint chips which are old so there is surface rust starting to show on the chip. No bubbling underneath, just literally at the chip itself.

It's close... but might not be worthwhile.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't think there is a calculator as every insurance company is probably going to be a little different.

I've outright asked my insurance company before. If it's not on record (or on your drivers abstract) I really don't think they care. If you deal with a broker (as opposed to directly with the insurance co) I'd just ask them for sure.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Fired up the 996. Forgot never bothered to put it on the quick jack this winter so tires were flat spotted pretty bad lol.

But, was nice to go for a rip, Even with bug guts still on it from last year.

I still grin a bit opening it up in 2nd and 3rd, just sounds great.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It would have to be one hell of an rear end in a top hat cop.

A few years ago asked a cop I knew if he could give me a written warning because a twit from my company was balking at replacing the windshield in my work truck. He said sure but it took him a few minutes to find the appropriate section in the code :lol: He said he's literally never given anyone a ticket for a windshield before.

Also, good morning Alberta. Say hi to the new boss, same as the old boss.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL

I actually saw a couple of big fat flakes this AM.

I can't complain, we had a gorgeous fall with 30 degrees right up until a few days ago. The ground is so warm I don't think anything is going to stick here unless it gets really cold with a lot of moisture for a few days.

Heading to YYC tonight for some business meetings tomorrow - I *might* be free for a bite tonight if I don't bring a co-worker with me, if anyone is interested? I'm saying at a hotel near the intersection of Barlow and Deerfoot.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Costco seems to have (most of) their supply issues sorted out and i would never go anywhere else for tires at this point.

I could get new tires put on either car for under $500. on the truck for just over $1,000.

I've never had to deal with their warranty but Costco itself has never really left me disappointed.
qft

If I can't get the tires from Costco, I guess I ain't getting the tires.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Driving to Costco this afternoon and happen to look at the outside temp

Merry Christmas

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phy posted:

Why the gently caress did I put my bike away??

Oh, right, the gravel

They've literally had the street sweepers out every day this week. Bikes and sportscars everywhere. My 911 is ready to go... Almost took it out tonight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When an OG Beetle is just too refined for your tastes

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lol. Saturday morning will be sporty.

It was literally 14 a few days ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know, cold doesn't really bother me but when I see the actual temps below -40 (not windchill numbers) I actually think twice about going anywhere.

Went to Costco last night, "only" -27 and it was awesome. No crowds, line ups, nothing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God drat I'll never be without a garage again. I am able to fit all 3 in (4 counting the bike) with a forced overhead heater.... which is off unless I'm working in it. Garage is attached so even in this poo poo, the coldest it gets is probably 0-3 degrees just due to being attached. The Modine 55k BTU heats it up nicely in about 10 minutes.

That said, the truck cools down mighty quick once you get outside.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL for sure. Also another reason why fabric can be so much nicer than leather.

I was never really a fan of heated seats or steering wheels, but I must say, this last week converted me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any news on this? I had my phone on silent and didn't hear the actual alert but saw it on my phone a few minutes later. Turned off the dryer and held off on the dishwasher.

It would suuuuck having a brownout when its like this.

e:
https://globalnews.ca/news/10224558/alberta-grid-alert-day-two-polar-vortex/

ee:
In case you've never seen it, this is a live view of the grid and all power plants.
http://ets.aeso.ca/ets_web/ip/Market/Reports/CSDReportServlet

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 14, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, looks like we're getting out the worst of it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

And just like that, on the way back to double digits.

Gonna be sloppy as gently caress next week. I suspect by sunday a good portion of my lawn will once again be visible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

LOL

14 degrees and a heavy snowfall warning.

'berta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

princess just had some baker scaffolds on sale 2 weeks back for.... I thinkkk... $200? I bought a couple.