Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Im really grossed out by this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just started reading the first book. It's startling how poor the writing is at times but there is something addictive about the story and my lovely attention span is digging the 3 paragraph chapters

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I haven't read far enough into the 1st book to know and this is pure speculation so I won't spoiler it but the stuff about Stoll's wig coming off by the end of this season along with the french girl vampire losing her hair seems to suggest Ephraim becomes a vampire pretty soon

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I got halfway through the 2nd book, and felt kinda bored and impatient so I read the plot summary for the rest on Wikipedia and uhhhh :stare:

This poo poo gets really, really loving crazy and dark

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
vampire Steve Buscemi

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I was very excited for that last scene because I can't loving stand Sean Astin but it seems he may stick around a little longer in the show than he did in the book

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
even if you watched the latest episode (you did) you don't have to spoiler what happens, once it airs it is fair game in the show's thread

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
All the characters are cliche. Ephraim is a brilliant but self-destructive person, Setrakian is the wise old teacher, whatever. It's a a pulpy, violent story about fighting vampires.

I thought it was interesting that none of the scenes from this episode (besides the neighbor feeding) were in the books.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I finished book 3 a few weeks ago and the show and books are really similar. I was worried they would cut the most interesting parts of the book the flashbacks to Setrakian's life but it seems tonight we will get that. The Amsterdam chapter is probably the best the books get, they are fairly poorly written vampire action series.

I guess the books are more interesting because you can easily binge through all 3 in a week and move on with your life. This show is planned to span 5-6 seasons.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Senjuro posted:

I read the first book and the buildup was even slower than in the show. Can someone link a plot summary for books 2 and 3 please? I just want to know what happens next without waiting for years until the show gets there.

The Master and his vampires successfully take over New York
The other Ancients recruit Gus and his friends to hunt the Master's vampires
There is also another half-vampire son of the Master who joins Gus
Setrakian, Fet and crew hunt down an ancient book that has the birth sites of the Masters, which is important to know
Setrakian dies at the end of the 2nd book, trying to kill the Master. He only succeeds in poisoning the body so the Master adopts Bolivar's body
The Master with help of Eldritch Palmer has taken control of a bunch of nuclear power plants, and triggers them to meltdown. They happen to be built on top of the other Ancient's birth sites and the meltdowns destroy the birth sites, killing the other 6 Ancients (this is the only way to kill an Ancient)
The Master kills Eldritch Palmer
The Master kidnaps Zach but keeps him human. Not sure why except he plans on using Zach's body as his new host body later or something
Ephraim becomes even more idiotic

2 year time pass between 2nd and 3rd book. At the beginning of the 3rd book the Vampires have taken over the world. Zach has Stockholm syndrome and is into the Master. There's some backstory about how the Ancients are created from the torn-apart pieces of an Archangel that God was pissed at. The crew find a nuke and explode it at the Master's birth site. Ephraim and Zach die (both are pretty mentally hosed anyways) and Fet and Nora start a family. Gus dies too.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
ahh great, I am so glad they decided to keep noras mom

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
edit: might be spoilerish

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I have a feeling they may cut the other Ancients from the show and just have the Master, going off of Setrakian's breakfast speech

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
It all gets very confusing the more you think about it. The biological side of the story (worms) is never really reconciled with the mythology of the ancients

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I think Ephraim being a bad TV character is just the showrunners trying to stick to the books too faithfully. He is really annoying and terrible in the books, and its clear authorial intent that you are supposed to dislike him more as the story grows. Problem is the show has sorta centered on him too much (due to his wife/kids being side characters) whereas in the books Vasily and Setrakian get much more time and exposure as the protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

withak posted:

The CDC doctors, the hacker, and the exterminator are all expert shots with handguns, and experts at killing with swords. But only until an important vampire comes in. Then they suddenly become below average. This doesn't make much sense.

Also, why did the guy doctor and the old guy stand there with their lethal silver swords and gawk at the master for 15 seconds while he writhed in the sun, thus allowing him time to recover and escape?

The Strain is really, really bad but these kinda complaints can be made of any action movie or show

• Locked thread