Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

computer parts posted:

How about instead of deporting people and then fixing the immigration system you fix the immigration system and then work with people to actually be legally in the country?

You shouldn't do it for the same reason we shouldn't tell companies "Every 5 years we will have a tax evasion amnesty where you can settle with the government for 10% of what you owe".

evilweasel posted:

I consider "you have a criminal record a mile long" more an exception for a new law to handle than a justification for our whole dumb system.

We got where we are by stealing everyone willing to make the journey and I would like to continue robbing the rest of the world of everyone with a shred of motivation.

The time period where immigration was essentially a free-for-all was also when we had no income taxes and no social security, so if that's on the table :getin:

on the left fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

You shouldn't do it for the same reason we shouldn't tell companies "Every 5 years we will have a tax evasion amnesty where you can settle with the government for 10% of what you owe".

How about we fix the immigration system to be more fair, and spouses have to wait the same length as any other immigrant? Or is that suddenly unfair and too demanding?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

That they owe us billions of dollars? They even have billions of dollars?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

on the left posted:

It's not hard or cruel to make companies pay all their back taxes. It absolutely is heartless to uproot people from the lives and homes they've built here (while contributing taxes) and send them back to countries they might not even have grown up in.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Agreed, each illegal immigrant who owes the united states $100k or more will be deported.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

It's not hard or cruel to make companies pay all their back taxes. It absolutely is heartless to uproot people from the lives and homes they've built here (while contributing taxes) and send them back to countries they might not even have grown up in.

If there were even a snowball's chance that we would actually start enforcing the immigration laws, this would be a popular plan. Unfortunately people have caught on that amnesty is a never-ending thing once you start. The people pushing for amnesty have no plans to prevent the need for future amnesties.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

on the left posted:

If there were even a snowball's chance that we would actually start enforcing the immigration laws, this would be a popular plan. Unfortunately people have caught on that amnesty is a never-ending thing once you start. The people pushing for amnesty have no plans to prevent the need for future amnesties.

What plan? All I said was that your analogy doesn't make sense because people aren't just numbers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

on the left posted:

How much tax revenue would we lose? I think if you're here for five years illegally you stay is a perfectly fine approach to future amnesties.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

evilweasel posted:

How much tax revenue would we lose? I think if you're here for five years illegally you stay is a perfectly fine approach to future amnesties.

5 years is fine if we actively try to prevent people from being able to successfully stay in the country that long by enforcing the laws.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
It IS against the law to bar undocumented minors from equal access to, say, a free public education.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

The 14th amendment doesn't just apply to citizens--it applies to everyone physically present in the US.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

JeffersonClay posted:

The 14th amendment doesn't just apply to citizens--it applies to everyone physically present in the US.

People don't want to kick them out of school though, they want to remove them physically from the US.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
What's wrong with on the left's opinion is that he's pretty blatantly prejudiced against undocumented citizens. He'll defend the idea that the people he loves are good people who deserve to live here, which isn't a bad thing. But when he's asked about other people, who's only difference is how they got here, he'll make them out to be criminals allowed to run wild by unenforced laws.

It's hypocritical at best, and the fact that's he is so willing to avoid speaking about immigrants in the context of human beings, rather than numbers, speaks a lot about his own moral character.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

How about we fix the immigration system to be more fair, and spouses have to wait the same length as any other immigrant? Or is that suddenly unfair and too demanding?

This sounds pretty reasonable, and might also provide enough breathing room that the system doesn't become overwhelmed again, and then revisions can be taken from there. Whatever the criticism of it being though, I agree that maybe they don't have to exist as is anyways if people are going to follow the jobs regardless, it's fine for things and money and corporations who are people, but not people.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Cercadelmar posted:

What's wrong with on the left's opinion is that he's pretty blatantly prejudiced against undocumented citizens. He'll defend the idea that the people he loves are good people who deserve to live here, which isn't a bad thing. But when he's asked about other people, who's only difference is how they got here, he'll make them out to be criminals allowed to run wild by unenforced laws.

It's hypocritical at best, and the fact that's he is so willing to avoid speaking about immigrants in the context of human beings, rather than numbers, speaks a lot about his own moral character.

Part of my family are illegal immigrants to the US, and they really should be deported. That the US hasn't done so is a mark against the immigration enforcement system.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

on the left posted:

Part of my family are illegal immigrants to the US, and they really should be deported. That the US hasn't done so is a mark against the immigration enforcement system.

Let's deport their employers instead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

on the left posted:

Do you mean the rapists or people you actually care about?

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

on the left posted:

Sorry about the bad relationship with your family, still doesn't justify stereotyping entire groups of people or asking to deport people from the lives they've made already.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
It's a good thing the Native American tribes couldn't deport the early settlers. America might not even exist!:v:

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 17, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Let's deport their employers instead.

It would be great if we could deport white drug users to Latin America.

Cercadelmar posted:

Sorry about the bad relationship with your family, still doesn't justify stereotyping entire groups of people or asking to deport people from the lives they've made already.

We don't even need to deport most people, just effectively enforce the laws we have already.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

on the left posted:

That's the point, we are trying to detect them and deport them. Of course, it is stupid that we set up checkpoints when we could just make it impossible to get a job or enroll in school as an illegal immigrant, which would wipe out the problem neatly.

on the left posted:

We don't even need to deport most people, just effectively enforce the laws we have already.

"We don't need to deport most people, just all of them."

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Cercadelmar posted:

"We don't need to deport most people, just all of them."

It's not deportation if we make illegal immigration financially unviable. Furthermore, employers who break labor laws are a good target for enforcement.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

on the left posted:

That's the point, we are trying to detect them and deport them. Of course, it is stupid that we set up checkpoints when we could just make it impossible to get a job or enroll in school as an illegal immigrant, which would wipe out the problem neatly.

on the left posted:

It's not deportation if we make illegal immigration financially unviable. Furthermore, employers who break labor laws are a good target for enforcement.
Economically unviable in this case implies denying them education and starving them out. Certainly one way to "wipe out the problem neatly".

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
There's an awful lot of daylight between our current "wait in line forever" immigration policies and no borders at all. I don't think most people here would object to making immigration conditional on things like passing criminal/terrorism background checks or screening for communicable diseases and up-to-date vaccinations. But that doesn't require a waiting period of years and years, or arbitrary country-of-origin quotas.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

on the left posted:

The time period where immigration was essentially a free-for-all was also when we had no income taxes and no social security, so if that's on the table :getin:
Do you think immigrants don't contribute to social security? poo poo a mass immigration would probably be one of the few ways of dealing with the upcoming boomer-bomb without a tax hike or a benefit cut. Illegal immigrants are already putting billions into the system now, because only a few of them are actually entirely cash-under-the-table deals, most get paid under fake SSNs or stolen identities and get their FICA withheld just like everyone else.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Cercadelmar posted:

Economically unviable in this case implies denying them education and starving them out. Certainly one way to "wipe out the problem neatly".

I don't recommend denying them education, I just recommend that the education system check social security numbers and send any weird mismatches of name and claimed social security to the department of homeland security, who can pay a visit to their home and helpfully resolve the problem.

And lol at enforcing labor laws as "starving people out".

Elotana posted:

Do you think immigrants don't contribute to social security? poo poo a mass immigration would probably be one of the few ways of dealing with the upcoming boomer-bomb without a tax hike or a benefit cut. Illegal immigrants are already putting billions into the system now, because only a few of them are actually entirely cash-under-the-table deals, most get paid under fake SSNs or stolen identities and get their FICA withheld just like everyone else.

Of course they contribute to social security, but since the jobs they get are almost universally lowly paid, it's not going to help much at all in the short term, and backfire spectacularly in the long-run when we have to pay out social security to them, which will probably happen.

Elotana posted:

There's an awful lot of daylight between our current "wait in line forever" immigration policies and no borders at all. I don't think most people here would object to making immigration conditional on things like passing criminal/terrorism background checks or screening for communicable diseases and up-to-date vaccinations. But that doesn't require a waiting period of years and years, or arbitrary country-of-origin quotas.

I've always regretted that the US didn't have favelas and shantytowns in its major metropolitan areas. We could finally have the kind of inequality that would make Brazil say "At least we aren't America unequal"

on the left fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 17, 2014

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

on the left posted:

Furthermore, employers who break labor laws are a good target for enforcement.
I'm going to address this point in a little depth.

If someone wanted to seriously crack down on illegal immigration, the best method would be to aggressively prosecute companies that employ illegal immigrants. This would drive demand down. As evidence that this would work, you need only look at at figures from the recent financial crisis, immigration was way down during the depths of the crisis.

In addition, for those addicted to the "illegal immigrants are bad because they're breaking the law" argument, consider that a company that employs 50 immigrants is 50 times the criminal of any individual immigrant and should therefore be targeted more aggressively.

Now, taking these two facts, let me ask you a question: Why is there no particular effort made to prosecute companies with illegal hiring practices? Why aren't there cries from the usual suspects to take down these illegal companies? The answer is obvious. Having an underclass is good for business. So, on one side we have the Democrats, who are generally pro-immigration for whatever reason (humanitarian or business pressure) and on the other side we have the Republicans, who are ostensibly anti-immigration, but in fact are really interested in maintaining the underclass.

So my final question for you: why are you supporting people who are lying to you?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Davethulhu posted:

I'm going to address this point in a little depth.

If someone wanted to seriously crack down on illegal immigration, the best method would be to aggressively prosecute companies that employ illegal immigrants. This would drive demand down. As evidence that this would work, you need only look at at figures from the recent financial crisis, immigration was way down during the depths of the crisis.

In addition, for those addicted to the "illegal immigrants are bad because they're breaking the law" argument, consider that a company that employs 50 immigrants is 50 times the criminal of any individual immigrant and should therefore be targeted more aggressively.

Now, taking these two facts, let me ask you a question: Why is there no particular effort made to prosecute companies with illegal hiring practices? Why aren't there cries from the usual suspects to take down these illegal companies? The answer is obvious. Having an underclass is good for business. So, on one side we have the Democrats, who are generally pro-immigration for whatever reason (humanitarian or business pressure) and on the other side we have the Republicans, who are ostensibly anti-immigration, but in fact are really interested in maintaining the underclass.

So my final question for you: why are you supporting people who are lying to you?

Your question doesn't make any sense. Who am I supporting, and what exactly is the statement that is a lie?

Also, when it comes to selective enforcement of immigration laws, it's fair to place 100% of the blame on the executive branch, which is being run by Obama.

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

on the left posted:

Your question doesn't make any sense. Who am I supporting, and what exactly is the statement that is a lie?

Also, when it comes to selective enforcement of immigration laws, it's fair to place 100% of the blame on the executive branch, which is being run by Obama.

I'm wondering, how do you feel about the DREAM act?

"The original 2001 version would have created a path to legal status — effectively a green card — for undocumented people age 21 and under who had graduated from high school and resided in the U.S. for five years."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cercadelmar posted:

"The original 2001 version would have created a path to legal status — effectively a green card — for undocumented people age 21 and under who had graduated from high school and resided in the U.S. for five years."

He's already said "great but we should be using Homeland Security to deport them before they stay here for five years".

on the left posted:

5 years is fine if we actively try to prevent people from being able to successfully stay in the country that long by enforcing the laws.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Cercadelmar posted:

I'm fine with things like that as long as other immigrant classes are treated better. If we are going to hand out green cards, why not also hand out green cards to graduates of US universities and H1B holders who happen to be in the country at the time?

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

on the left posted:

I'm fine with things like that as long as other immigrant classes are treated better. If we are going to hand out green cards, why not also hand out green cards to graduates of US universities and H1B holders who happen to be in the country at the time?

Both of those are perfectly reasonable additions to immigration reform. The fact that the the system is failing to accommodate skilled labor into the US just shows that it's inherently flawed and doesn't meet current demands.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

on the left posted:

Of course they contribute to social security, but since the jobs they get are almost universally lowly paid, it's not going to help much at all in the short term, and backfire spectacularly in the long-run when we have to pay out social security to them, which will probably happen.
The payroll tax is flat, and capped. It will help quite a bit. And how will it backfire spectacularly? Will the immigrants be sterile?

on the left posted:

I've always regretted that the US didn't have favelas and shantytowns in its major metropolitan areas. We could finally have the kind of inequality that would make Brazil say "At least we aren't America unequal"
Yes, we should keep these people safely in their home countries, where their crushing poverty is at least relatively not as bad. For their self-esteem and all.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
It's impossible not to have immigration laws for the same reason that communism doesn't work: people are too selfish, and people with lots of things will spend time and energy to prevent other people with no things from taking their things. People in rich countries have lots of things. People in poor countries who want to immigrate to rich countries have few things. Ergo, people in rich countries will ensure that people from poor countries are more or less kept out because the rich are afraid of the poor taking their things.

And rich and poor are relative of course. So a fast food worker in Iowa is still rich relative to a 15 year old from Honduras, and thus will behave accordingly.

Of course you can argue whether this is or isn't "right." But it's reality and it won't change anytime soon. Maybe after global population stabilizes and we move towards a post-scarcity economy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

This is sort of my feeling. There's generally a set of facts about illegal immigration that are indisputable but are not shared across the political spectrum. But these notes below seem true to me:

+ Illegal immigration depresses low-skilled wages and damages the labor market
+ Illegal immigration keeps many American states functioning by providing necessary low-skilled labor
+ Immigration controls are the logical consequence of national borders

In general, it seems to me that if you had no borders at all, and allowed wave after wave of Third World poor into the U.S., the U.S. would become a much more unequal society than it is now. On the left, there's concern about global inequality between the developed world and the rest of the world, so the left is inclined towards unrestricted immigration. But the result would be drastically increasing the relative inequality between Americans, and that will worsen many social and economic problems inside the country.

At the same time, the U.S. needs low-skilled immigrants, and lots of them. What do we do? I don't know really.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

Cercadelmar posted:

I don't think he had much of a choice. They've been setting up border patrol checkpoints north of the RGV lately, which limits the options on how to leave here. Like Vargas said, undocumented people are pretty much trapped.

once you're in the united states, immigration checkpoints not on the border are constitutionally-questionable and people are under no obligation to answer their questions nor consent to a search. this is fact and you can find myriad DHS (department of homeland security) refusal videos on youtube showing motorists giving the finger to these law-breaking douchebags, who later give up and send them on their way. these criminals rely on people's ignorance and fear of authority to operate and if more people flex their rights we won't need to abide these fear-mongering weaponized freaks wasting everybody's time. gently caress those guys.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
this is the one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ku17CqdZg

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014

Lief posted:

once you're in the united states, immigration checkpoints not on the border are constitutionally-questionable and people are under no obligation to answer their questions nor consent to a search. this is fact and you can find myriad DHS (department of homeland security) refusal videos on youtube showing motorists giving the finger to these law-breaking douchebags, who later give up and send them on their way. these criminals rely on people's ignorance and fear of authority to operate and if more people flex their rights we won't need to abide these fear-mongering weaponized freaks wasting everybody's time. gently caress those guys.

I absolutely agree with you, it's a shame that most people from here, undocumented or otherwise, tend to assume that they have less rights than they really do. There should be more awareness of what everyone's rights are regarding searches like this.

Edit: looked this up, seems it doesn't apply to undocumented people

Immigrant Legal Resource Center posted:

E. At the Border -Your rights at the border are different. The “border’” includes not only the line between the U.S. and Mexico or Canada, but also airports and areas close to the border, for example, the border checkpoint near San Clemente, California. In these border places, you have to prove that you have legal permission to be in the U.S. or the Immigration Service can detain you to ask more questions. They can also search you or your bags without a search warrant. Remember that you always have the right to remain silent.
http://www.ilrc.org/files/kyr_english.pdf

Cercadelmar fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 17, 2014

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

Cercadelmar posted:

I absolutely agree with you, it's a shame that most people from here, undocumented or otherwise, tend to assume that they have less rights than they really do. There should be more awareness of what everyone's rights are regarding searches like this.

Edit: looked this up, seems it doesn't apply to undocumented people

http://www.ilrc.org/files/kyr_english.pdf

http://www.texasobserver.org/border-patrol-takes-no-for-an-answer-at-internal-checkpoints/

quote:

Border Patrol Takes ‘No’ for an Answer at Internal Checkpoints
by Cindy Casares Published on Thursday, March 7, 2013, at 2:49 CST

A fascinating video is circulating on the Internet featuring motorists who decline to answer questions at Border Patrol checkpoints miles from the border. Questions like, “Are you a U.S. citizen?” or “Where are you headed?” are met with polite refusals. In the video, one pair of motorists stopped at a Laredo checkpoint refuse to answer an agent’s question about their citizenship. When the agent becomes agitated and orders the driver to pull over to secondary inspection, the driver politely says, “No thank you.” The agent calls over his supervisor. “Unless we’re living in a police state,” the driver says. “Unless this is Mexico or Nazi Germany … this is still America and I can travel down this road without having to answer questions from federal agents.” The kicker is the motorists get away with it; the supervisor ultimately waves them through.

This was a surprise to me because I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley where travelers must pass through an internal checkpoint in Sarita or Falfurrias to reach points north. The Border Patrol operates a total of 71 permanent and tactical checkpoints on the southwest border, according to a 2008 report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office. (Tactical checkpoints do not have permanent buildings. They support permanent checkpoints by monitoring and inspecting traffic on secondary roads that the Border Patrol determines are likely to be used by undocumented travelers or smugglers.) As the checkpoints have proliferated, so has concern over the rights of motorists. Critics of the internal checkpoints say they violate the Fourth Amendment prohibition on “unreasonable searches and seizures.”

Still, it was unclear to me if you are legally obligated to answer Border Patrol agents’ questions. What, exactly, are your rights and responsibilities at these checkpoints? I put the question to a few legal experts.

Denise Gilman, co-director of the immigration clinic at the University of Texas School of Law, says that Border Patrol agents at internal checkpoints are allowed to ask motorists basic questions about citizenship, identity and travel itinerary, but they cannot detain you or search your vehicle without probable cause. Your refusal to answer questions would not provide probable cause to allow for such a detention or search, she added.

“So, if you refuse to answer, they can pull you out of the line and over into ‘secondary inspection’ and they can probably hold you there for about 20 minutes or so,” she said. “But they cannot do anything more if you continue to refuse to respond unless something else develops during that time period that would lead to probable cause.”

More than one motorist in the video declined to pull over into secondary inspection, yet they were allowed to go on their way without incident.

“I don’t know of any case where the person has refused to go into secondary inspection as in the YouTube video,” says Barbara Hines, a clinical professor of law at UT who co-directs the immigration clinic with Gilman. “But it is a very interesting civil disobedience idea. Because in order to arrest the person, the Border Patrol, again, would need probable cause.”

I happened to have a trip planned to the Valley last weekend. On my way back to Austin, I stopped at the checkpoint in Sarita. Rather than refuse to answer the question, “Are you a U.S. citizen?” I asked the agent whether or not I was legally obligated to answer. She was taken aback at first, asking if I was going to pull a camera on her. I told her I was doing a story for the Texas Observer, which probably ensured that I would get out of there without a hassle.

Her supervisor referred me to the Border Patrol Public Affairs Office in Falfurrias and I went on my way never having revealed my citizenship.

By email later, a Border Patrol spokesman gave me the answer I was looking for: “Although motorists are not legally required to answer the questions ‘are you a U.S. citizen and where are you headed,’ they will not be allowed to proceed until the inspecting agent is satisfied that the occupants of vehicles traveling through the checkpoint are legally present in the U.S.”

Border Patrol agents are granted authority to question the occupants of vehicles traveling through an established checkpoint based on U.S. vs. Martinez-Fuerte. That was a 1976 Supreme Court decision that said permanent or fixed checkpoints set up by the U.S. Border patrol on public highways leading to or away from the Mexican border are not a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

Congress also gave the Department of Homeland Security authority, through the Immigration and Nationality Act, to conduct searches within a “reasonable distance” of the border, which DHS defines as 100 miles.

Hines points out, however, that federal laws and regulations are subordinate to the Constitution.

So it seems you are within your rights not to answer the Border Patrol agent at an internal checkpoint (this doesn’t go for actual borders!), but the agents are also within their rights to ask you about your citizenship. At least for a while. After that, they’d need probable cause to detain you.

Remember the "reasonable distance" authority is given by Congress and isn't an opinion of the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court case
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Martinez-Fuerte

quote:

The court ruled 7 to 2 that the internal checkpoints were not a violation of the Fourth Amendment, but rather were consistent with the amendment. They went on to say that it would be impracticable for the officers to seek warrants for every vehicle searched and that to do so would eliminate any deterrent towards smuggling and illegal immigration. The court felt that any intrusion to motorists was a minimal one and that the government and public interest outweighed the constitutional rights of the individual.[1]

The court also ruled that the stops were Constitutional even if largely based on apparent Mexican ancestry.[2]

However the court added that restrictions still exist: "We have held that checkpoint searches are constitutional only if justified by consent or probable cause to search" (though the court did hold that the probable cause bar was low for permanent checkpoints with limited impact on motorists). The Court also held, "our holding today is limited to the type of stops described in this opinion. -[A]ny further detention...must be based on consent or probable cause. Our prior cases have limited significantly the reach of this congressional authorization, requiring probable cause for any vehicle search in the interior and reasonable suspicion for inquiry stops by roving patrols [as opposed to permanent checkpoints]." 428 U.S. 543, 567 (1976).

horribleslob fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 17, 2014

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

on the left posted:

The laws we have now are largely similar to the laws we've had for the last decade. They weren't enforced by Bush either. By focusing all your attention on the immigrants rather than the companies that employ them, you're buying into the right-wing class warfare argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Big K of Justice posted:

Every time I deal with the USCIS I fly everything across a trusted immigration law firm or two, even for "simple" matters. One wrong answer or something done out of procedure can get everything undone or worse get you subject to a multi-year ban from the US... I've seen a simple mistake spiral way out of control.

Speaking of Scandinavian welfare states and their 'strict' immigration policies, I'm always amazed at how draconian the US system is allowed to be.

Over here it is very simple for you to get a residence permit if you qualify for it and you will never need a lawyer or an expert to help you out with it. Arriving and only then applying is perfectly kosher. If you are denied, you can stay in the country while your appeal is processed and the government hires you a lawyer and covers all the charges even if the appeal is turned down. You only get an entry ban if you outright provide falsified documents or commit crimes during your stay.

I mean, yes, it's still regulated immigration, but it has nothing on what I've read of the US system. Apparently you can get deported if you fail to provide change of address to the USCIS.

• Locked thread