Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Big K of Justice posted:

Every time I deal with the USCIS I fly everything across a trusted immigration law firm or two, even for "simple" matters. One wrong answer or something done out of procedure can get everything undone or worse get you subject to a multi-year ban from the US... I've seen a simple mistake spiral way out of control.

Speaking of Scandinavian welfare states and their 'strict' immigration policies, I'm always amazed at how draconian the US system is allowed to be.

Over here it is very simple for you to get a residence permit if you qualify for it and you will never need a lawyer or an expert to help you out with it. Arriving and only then applying is perfectly kosher. If you are denied, you can stay in the country while your appeal is processed and the government hires you a lawyer and covers all the charges even if the appeal is turned down. You only get an entry ban if you outright provide falsified documents or commit crimes during your stay.

I mean, yes, it's still regulated immigration, but it has nothing on what I've read of the US system. Apparently you can get deported if you fail to provide change of address to the USCIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread