Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

on the left posted:

It's a slap in the face that I have to pay thousands of dollars to bring my spouse over while USCIS refuses to enforce the immigration laws we have.

The real slap in the face is that you have to pay thousands of dollars to bring your spouse over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

I agree, anyone who shows up to the border should be allowed in legally without having to pay thousands of dollars. America is a nation of immigrants and should remain open to all comers.

Right, paying thousands of dollars makes sense, until you realize that the vast majority of that money goes to support an insane and xenophobic bureaucracy that is under a lot of pressure to turn as many people away as possible, even if they are qualified.

If they appointed me to redesign the system from scratch, I'd make the whole thing project-based. Want to become part of American society? Then make some real contributions to it such as a few thousand hours of community service or helping rebuild the country's crumbling infrastructure. Immigrants of past generations built the country from the ground up, today's prospective immigrants can help expand and maintain it to earn their place in it. The government can pay them a fair wage during their employment and in the end reward them with residency and citizenship.

• Locked thread