Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I agree with evilweasel, actually. Population growth means, in a post-"Malthusian trap" world, economic growth. Therefore, I don't think there's any humane reason why we shouldn't just offer citizenship as a matter of course to anyone showing up at border crossings. Like, literally "Welcome to the USA, would you like to fill out a citizenship application?" I think it would actually reduce wastage of bureaucracy because it would get rid of the need for extensive checks and procedures and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

In fact, going a little further with this, I think that an open-border region like the Schengen Area in the EU would do North America a ton of good. It would help facilitate the free movement of labor and commerce throughout North and Central America.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Jarmak posted:

I agree that we should be putting more of the burden on the employer, but you can't ignore the fact that in the late 19th and early 20th centuries we had a booming manufacturing economy that was fueled by abusively cheap immigrant labor. There are good arguments for very open immigration policy (I'm thinking along the lines of "you can come in as long as you don't have a criminal history", no limits) but pointing to how it worked great for the economy during the gilded age is an insultingly bad one.

That's not the only factor at play, though. An increased population also means an increased consumer base, meaning a larger domestic market to buy and sell products to. Additionally, first-generation immigrant families tend to put a high amount of their earned wages into savings, which are then diverted into investments such as purchasing houses, starting businesses, and so on. The high savings rate of immigrant families helps drive long-term economic growth.

• Locked thread