Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Elotana posted:

There's an awful lot of daylight between our current "wait in line forever" immigration policies and no borders at all. I don't think most people here would object to making immigration conditional on things like passing criminal/terrorism background checks or screening for communicable diseases and up-to-date vaccinations. But that doesn't require a waiting period of years and years, or arbitrary country-of-origin quotas.
This is sort of my feeling. There's generally a set of facts about illegal immigration that are indisputable but are not shared across the political spectrum. But these notes below seem true to me:

+ Illegal immigration depresses low-skilled wages and damages the labor market
+ Illegal immigration keeps many American states functioning by providing necessary low-skilled labor
+ Immigration controls are the logical consequence of national borders

In general, it seems to me that if you had no borders at all, and allowed wave after wave of Third World poor into the U.S., the U.S. would become a much more unequal society than it is now. On the left, there's concern about global inequality between the developed world and the rest of the world, so the left is inclined towards unrestricted immigration. But the result would be drastically increasing the relative inequality between Americans, and that will worsen many social and economic problems inside the country.

At the same time, the U.S. needs low-skilled immigrants, and lots of them. What do we do? I don't know really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread