Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Talmonis posted:

But why would we remove all restrictions? That could easily collapse the social programs we have, and drive wages into the dirt with a massive influx of cheap labor. Hell, you could have China or India up and send a few million people over to gently caress with the political system in their favor. Nations would start sending their most destitute, their criminals and their disabled, simply to be rid of them. Restrictions do have a purpose, even if the current purpose is a lovely one.

For some reason some ignore that the countries with excellent welfare and social programs universally have extremely strict immigration policies. Almost as if the two go hand in hand.

mdemone posted:

Give me your skilled, your suburban,
Your huddled masses yearning to take classes,
The nerdy refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the clueless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my stamp beside the classroom door!

It's like we no longer need millions of unskilled laborers to exploit in factories that don't exist anymore. Is it really people's argument that we need to forever keep the immigration policy of the early 1900s, because that seems kinda dumb.

Oh no millions of people are no longer coming here to be worked to death, crushed in a random machine, or turned into chili, the horror!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

James The 1st posted:

Clearly the invasion of poor Chinese, Irish, Germans, English, Italians, Russians ect. 1800-1900 destroyed this country.

Something tells me you also don't want to go back to the labor laws and welfare programs that existed during that time.

Alexzandvar posted:

As people said earlier more immigrants means more spenders and tax payers, they help the US Economy by coming here not destroy it.

People sure waved their hands and came to this conclusion, but actual evidence has been sparse. It makes little sense on its face given that low paying jobs are disappearing and shifting to high skilled work.

tsa fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 17, 2014

• Locked thread