Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

on the left posted:

Furthermore, employers who break labor laws are a good target for enforcement.
I'm going to address this point in a little depth.

If someone wanted to seriously crack down on illegal immigration, the best method would be to aggressively prosecute companies that employ illegal immigrants. This would drive demand down. As evidence that this would work, you need only look at at figures from the recent financial crisis, immigration was way down during the depths of the crisis.

In addition, for those addicted to the "illegal immigrants are bad because they're breaking the law" argument, consider that a company that employs 50 immigrants is 50 times the criminal of any individual immigrant and should therefore be targeted more aggressively.

Now, taking these two facts, let me ask you a question: Why is there no particular effort made to prosecute companies with illegal hiring practices? Why aren't there cries from the usual suspects to take down these illegal companies? The answer is obvious. Having an underclass is good for business. So, on one side we have the Democrats, who are generally pro-immigration for whatever reason (humanitarian or business pressure) and on the other side we have the Republicans, who are ostensibly anti-immigration, but in fact are really interested in maintaining the underclass.

So my final question for you: why are you supporting people who are lying to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

on the left posted:

Your question doesn't make any sense. Who am I supporting, and what exactly is the statement that is a lie?

Also, when it comes to selective enforcement of immigration laws, it's fair to place 100% of the blame on the executive branch, which is being run by Obama.

The laws we have now are largely similar to the laws we've had for the last decade. They weren't enforced by Bush either. By focusing all your attention on the immigrants rather than the companies that employ them, you're buying into the right-wing class warfare argument.

• Locked thread