Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

on the left posted:

It's bullshit that we treat illegal immigrants with kid gloves, but come down ruthlessly on people who try their best to follow the laws. H1Bs are kicked out of the country with 7 days notice while illegal immigrants can just Costanza their way into staying permanently.

The alien visa situations combined with the massive massive [up to 20 years] backlog in green card processing for legal aliens and relatives of us citizens is crazy.

I've had friends who were here for almost 10 years waiting for their green card until they got laid off or just gave up and moved back to their home country. People who paid 100,000's worth of taxes over the years while here in the US, they get a gap in employment or can't find a job to fill the gap asap, and boom, sorry your green card application is toast, sorry for the multi-year wait but if you do come back you'll have to start all over again.

No one is even mentioning this with "immigration reform" currently. The current system is overloaded with legal aliens as it is, now you want to add a few million illegals in addition to the current caseload? I mean.. holy crap. They'll need to expand USCIS by an order of magnitude.

A quick fix would be to have work visas have a maximum of 3 years, after that you get an automatic green card. Thanks for paying into the system for 3 years and being a decent person contributing to the country, welcome to the US. That would kill a lot of visa abuses you see rampant in the system. Many of the top H1B users are Indian Tech firms hiring Indian nationals to work in their US offices knowing they can get away with absolute murder since their workforce is under constant threat of being sent home if they don't do what they are told... although that's honestly the case with most visas, even though most of them are portable and allow you to change jobs.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Cercadelmar posted:

What makes your spouse so special that they deserve citizenship more than the people already living and working here?

Because a spouse of a US Citizen has the highest preference category of any immigrant according to USCIS. Essentially they go first in line for green card processing and in some cases can have the residency requirement for US citizenship reduced from 5 years to 3.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Not even this is a sure thing. My friend married his Canadian wife, and the agent involved in their case screwed them and she's not allowed in the country, and she already has a degree, and it wasn't like they had any kind of contingency plan, they assumed it would be a normal process considering this magical 'preference'.

Every time I deal with the USCIS I fly everything across a trusted immigration law firm or two, even for "simple" matters. One wrong answer or something done out of procedure can get everything undone or worse get you subject to a multi-year ban from the US... I've seen a simple mistake spiral way out of control.

• Locked thread