Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Kobogartimer posted:

I get more use out of Pincoya's special cancels than either other character I think. Anyone else think those stupid thwomp things are the hardest monster in the game? At least the others can be killed!
Yeah, some of their placements can be super annoying or just utterly useless. It's seems like the trap RNG can be pretty stupid in the game, especially when it comes to those vines that come out of the ground. There's been plenty of times when I'll see one off on a ledge that's only big enough for it but the ledge itself is just a dead end.

Also are there any monsters that you guys prefer playing as? I've personally had the best luck with the Skeleton Warrior; it's super fast, relatively damaging and all of it's special abilities are pretty useful. Like going from the downward special, cancelling into a fireball, and ending with the dragon punch is so satisfying when it works. Or the Bird Warrior was pretty useful if only because it's forward attack was just murder on most enemies and it's larger life pool was great. Has it been said anywhere if the merchant is something that can be captured?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Niggurath posted:

There's been plenty of times when I'll see one off on a ledge that's only big enough for it but the ledge itself is just a dead end.

I think those alcoves are intentional, because there are occasionally health potions in them.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Skeleton Warrior, Jackal, and any of the Golems are probably the strongest overall enemies to play as.

Golden Bull is pretty good too

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Hakkesshu posted:

Me neither. I haven't tried her since the nerf, but before that she was absurdly powerful. You could just poke dudes all day without ever getting hit.

The nerf didn't hit her too hard. You can't knock enemies back as easily with some of the longer-range normals, but the animations didn't change so you don't lose any of the reach that makes them so good.

Pincoya's probably my favorite of the playable characters. She's got great range and while the jellyfish specials seem to suck her non-jellyfish ones are good and you can link them pretty effectively (i.e. vault into spin into circle kick). You can combo with her just fine, though it's often safer to keep enemies at the tip of her spear where you can't follow-up attacks as effectively.

Niggurath posted:

Also are there any monsters that you guys prefer playing as? I've personally had the best luck with the Skeleton Warrior; it's super fast, relatively damaging and all of it's special abilities are pretty useful. Like going from the downward special, cancelling into a fireball, and ending with the dragon punch is so satisfying when it works. Or the Bird Warrior was pretty useful if only because it's forward attack was just murder on most enemies and it's larger life pool was great. Has it been said anywhere if the merchant is something that can be captured?

Like someone mentioned before, The Jackal is great and all his specials chain really well together so you can just cancel them into each other all day and wreck shop. The Burning Mummy is slow but he's got some really good area denial/AoE control, and the same is true of the Sea Queen.

The only monsters I can think of off the top of my head I really don't like are the cows, because they're awkward and their giant hitboxes make it really easy for a couple of AI dudes to stunlock you to death.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 19, 2014

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Mummy is great because the AI cannot figure out how to deal with the vomit special. The vomit also poisons, so you get quite a bit of mileage out of his keep-away game.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Tricky posted:

Mummy is great because the AI cannot figure out how to deal with the vomit special. The vomit also poisons, so you get quite a bit of mileage out of his keep-away game.

That's basically true for the Burning Mummy too. The AI doesn't seem to have any concept of 'avoiding traps' so you can just keep laying down his fire mine things and be pretty confident they'll walk into it. I've had a lot of success standing in a corner and canceling between the mine and the fireball over and over.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope they add in more outfits or customization things. I think the game would benefit from personalizing the characters you use so there aren't a bunch of clones running around in multiplayer. I'd so put the Monk in some black knight armor or something along those lines.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
My favorite monsters to play as so far are the Jackal, for reasons the thread already mentioned, and both mummies, for reasons the thread already mentioned. That said, I'm probably going to get to capture Paganini on my next Katrien run, and he's seemed pretty unique the couple times I've fought him.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

I hate the mummies so much. I never have any luck with them. I'd rather play as the terrible bird-lady monster with no arms. At least she can guard-break dudes pretty easily.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
That's funny, I forgot to mention that the Voladora is my other favorite, just because of her forward regular attack. It's quick and has long reach, so you can just peck everyone to death forever, unless they're the Pudataur or the bird warrior guy I haven't captured yet. Enemies with longer range than you. I suppose it helps that she's one of the cheapest monsters to buy from the monastery.

Also help me guys, I've got combo fever and feel like entering the combo video contest with The Jackal, someone show me a good Jackal combo reel so I stop thinking this silly thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, just watched the Bauta video they have in the contest post, immediately felt inferior. Still show me a good Jackal combo reel for the hell of it, though.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 19, 2014

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Egadsman posted:

I hate the mummies so much. I never have any luck with them. I'd rather play as the terrible bird-lady monster with no arms. At least she can guard-break dudes pretty easily.

The bird lady's a little weird but her neutral special is a surprisingly quick forward dash that cancels well into her other specials. She's more usable than you'd think.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Exmond posted:

Im sure it has everything to do with anime and not Mexican/Chilean culture or folk lore.

We don't have a skeleton playing the fiddle in our folklore sadly :( But yeah, as people have mentioned before he's based on the idea that Paganini made a deal with the devil he was so good at playing the violin. Like an italian Robert Johnson.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

The bird lady's a little weird but her neutral special is a surprisingly quick forward dash that cancels well into her other specials. She's more usable than you'd think.

Exactly. She was also the first monster I played as, which might explain why I'm more fond of her than some of the arguably more useful creatures.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Having just played as him for a bit, I can safely say: Paganini for Divekick.

It'd be interesting to run into Paganini while playing Paganini, but he costs 8000 to pick up at the Cathedral. I figure only Verbum Dei would cost more... I'll find out soon enough, but his position doesn't show up on the map when you look at it from the main menu, only when you use the in-game maps. Kinda crap, but oh well. He seems to really like hanging out in the first path, though.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Has it been said anywhere if the merchant is something that can be captured?

I just captured the merchant, looks like you need to be level 28 to do it if I read his level right.

He plays like a super-fast version of Katrien, and I just tore up the rest of that run with him completely effortlessly. Either I just clicked with him immediately or he's really really strong.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is awesome, I figured stuff like this was possible, but I never thought about trying it myself.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Emong posted:

I just captured the merchant, looks like you need to be level 28 to do it if I read his level right.

He plays like a super-fast version of Katrien, and I just tore up the rest of that run with him completely effortlessly. Either I just clicked with him immediately or he's really really strong.
Yeah, I just got him too and he's pretty good at murdering everything. His specials aren't that great (except for his upward special) but his normals just seem to combo super easily. But I was wondering, does the Living Creature only spawn in the middle path because I was trying to fight it but it seems that once you beat the warlock and cycle back up to the surface that the enemies and map layouts change, but no new bosses spawn. It just keeps being that big viking dude with the ravens.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Niggurath posted:

Also are there any monsters that you guys prefer playing as?

Everyone who you can fight in the game can be captured, including the merchant.

Also The Jackal is the best character. You can be lazy with him and wreck shop but also do tight poo poo all the time too.

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Also help me guys, I've got combo fever and feel like entering the combo video contest with The Jackal, someone show me a good Jackal combo reel so I stop thinking this silly thing.

EDIT: Nevermind, just watched the Bauta video they have in the contest post, immediately felt inferior. Still show me a good Jackal combo reel for the hell of it, though.

I hosed around when I got the game and made these. All of these combos basically kill all enemies at level 20~ or whatever I have my Ghost Monk at so yeah they're pretty efficient too I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRZwrgiCs-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3x8sjLsLMI

Nightmare mode is the best mode 'cuz fights are all about just destroying the enemy before they gang up on ya instead of boring waiting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, I just got him too and he's pretty good at murdering everything. His specials aren't that great (except for his upward special) but his normals just seem to combo super easily. But I was wondering, does the Living Creature only spawn in the middle path because I was trying to fight it but it seems that once you beat the warlock and cycle back up to the surface that the enemies and map layouts change, but no new bosses spawn. It just keeps being that big viking dude with the ravens.

Living Creature doesn't spawn on the map, he randomly attacks the surface upon starting a new game. You'll get a cutscene when it happens. Though I've only seen him once and I can't get him to spawn again.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Hakkesshu posted:

Living Creature doesn't spawn on the map, he randomly attacks the surface upon starting a new game. You'll get a cutscene when it happens. Though I've only seen him once and I can't get him to spawn again.

A Steam guide I read recommended going to the middle starting area, as the writer had encountered the Living Creature there three times and nowhere else, and I also just encountered it there too.

Just had a good several runs, captured Verbum Dei on the first one, found that the Warlock might be capturable at level 75 on the second run, and encountered and captured The Living Creature at the start of the third... though he didn't drop page nine of the journal, the jerk. :argh:

Verbum Dei costs a whopping 14000 to select in the cathedral, and The Living Creature 16000. Carefully playing Mr. Sword-in-mouth can easily run you through the entire abyss with health to spare, though; guess I'll have to try a nightmare run with him. His greatest strength is his long reach with that sword, specifically as his forward normal. If enemies get in too close, his down special is a ground pound and his up special is an air grab, so he does a good job of keeping them in his sword's range. And the horse summon is his neutral special and it's totally spammable. The horse comes out of whichever wall is closest behind you, and then goes forward phasing through anything and knocking down enemies, who don't generally know what to do about it and just stand there blocking. Interestingly, the playable version of Verbum Dei is just a bit smaller than the actual boss himself, though he still towers over every other enemy. I suspect the Living Creature is also smaller, but having it ready to compare when the boss attacks seems unlikely.

Fereydun posted:

I hosed around when I got the game and made these. All of these combos basically kill all enemies at level 20~ or whatever I have my Ghost Monk at so yeah they're pretty efficient too I guess.

Yeah, I'm feeling pretty darn humbled. I had just managed to get a pretty neat combo to "click" with me in the practice arena, so I was feeling good about it. On the other hand, I can't seem to figure out making that neutral combo combo back into itself so the combo game probably isn't for me. It's alright though, Verbum Dei is my new favorite character and I'm going to just stab people with his mouth forever.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Niggurath posted:

But I was wondering, does the Living Creature only spawn in the middle path because I was trying to fight it but it seems that once you beat the warlock and cycle back up to the surface that the enemies and map layouts change, but no new bosses spawn. It just keeps being that big viking dude with the ravens.
I had Living Creature spawn in the church yesterday.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Egadsman posted:

I had Living Creature spawn in the church yesterday.

I've seen him in all three starting zones. As far as I can tell, it's completely random whether he shows with no slant toward particular areas or anything.

I'd be curious to know if you can encounter him even if he doesn't spawn immediately by getting the cart guy to take you to a different area. I would assume not, but then it's hard to prove a negative.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Yesssssss

There is going to be so much fish.

Now I just need page 9 of the journal. Taken the Living Creature down twice and he's just dropped health vials.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, you can play as the Warlock!? How do you do that? Or can you just capture him?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Like every other enemy in the game, you can capture him. His capture level is 70, which happens to be the maximum level. With him, I'm only 4 enemies away from having captured every single playable thing in the game. Here's a picture of the training menu, anyone know who it is I'm missing?

Also, I wonder if the devs manually update the seal fragmenting and haven't been to their computers, or if the playerbase just nosedived after getting halfway through the seal. It feels weird for it to have broken that far so quickly and then just sit there.

EDIT: It's little wonder the Warlock's wearing a mask as a boss, he doesn't have it when the player is using him and

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 21, 2014

Emong
May 31, 2011

The update broke the leaderboards they were using to track wins, so it's on pause until they fix it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Just beat the game for the first time. The Pincoya unlock room showed up as the last room before the Warlock and I got 3 potions from it. I might have had enough to unlock her if I didn't spend 6k on the stupid Fire Mummy, hoping it would be as abuse-able as the regular mummy.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Demicol posted:

Just beat the game for the first time. The Pincoya unlock room showed up as the last room before the Warlock and I got 3 potions from it. I might have had enough to unlock her if I didn't spend 6k on the stupid Fire Mummy, hoping it would be as abuse-able as the regular mummy.

It totally is. You'll get pretty far with the fire mummy just standing in a corner spitting out mines and fireballs.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Just magic attacked the floating guy who might be the Warlock's real form, no level showed up on him at all so I suppose he isn't one of my missing enemies. The only other things they could be I can think of at the moment are the various critters who exist only to annoy and give small exp boosts.

EDIT: It's beautiful.

I mean, it could have been a better picture, but the Warlock gets very dodgy when you start throwing fish back at him.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 21, 2014

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Man at first I thought online was amazing. I played with someone and it was smooth as butter. After that every experience online has been riddled with lag and me falling through floors. If I'm hosting a game, I'm getting hit by pubbies like they don't know friendly fire is on. Joining other people's games I am mostly getting attacked by an overzealous host who absolutely must attack the monsters because that's how you kill them and it does not matter that player 2 is over there because the monster will die more quicker. That and grubby rear end loving players grabbing every single thing. Does this game cater to a special breed of retard?

Granted I have run into about three games where the host can tell I'm not a shitfuck because I actively avoid breaking everything and generally try to share orbs and all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I just beat the game for the first time and i don't think i'm going to continue playing for a few reasons that are all tied to the multiplayer

1. multiplayer seems really buggy and the worst i've seen is doubling all the sound for the entire connection making everything sound cacophonous

2. It is really hard to tell who you are in multiplayer if you're the same character as your partner.

3. not sharing loot sucks rear end. sharing shop menus really sucks rear end, i was gonna buy that!

4. my partners keep slapping me off platforms into traps and juggling me in a mob of enemies. either they don't give a poo poo about friendly fire or they don't notice its on idk.

i'd play single player i guess but the game is kinda empty and repetitive when you're alone.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Haha, welp. Turns out that not only do you not get the achievement for capturing a level 40+ enemy if you pick up the soul with the soldier instead of your main character, it also makes it so you can't use that enemy to unlock the achievement at all.

Guess I get to try to catch Living Weapon or the Warlock.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there any reason to throw money into the Pincoya fountain once you unlocked her?

Emong
May 31, 2011

Nope, it doesn't do anything else right now.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Well, just beat the game on my first run as the Monk guy, my 4th run overall. I like this game but I just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually combo. Guess I need to spend more time practicing, although at least on normal difficulty my strategy of poke and run seems to work. I love the art, though.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I picked this up on PS3, and noticed that they didn't release the friendly fire patch for it. Apparently ACE Team has a history of abandoning their console games and not releasing even one bugfix patch after they're out too. Oh well!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mercury_Storm posted:

I picked this up on PS3, and noticed that they didn't release the friendly fire patch for it. Apparently ACE Team has a history of abandoning their console games and not releasing even one bugfix patch after they're out too. Oh well!

Console patches have to go through certification, which can be a multi-week process. On the 360, it also used to cost developers $40,000 per patch, no matter how tiny it was.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah I know, but with them having not released a single patch for previous console games, and some dev on their official forums bloviating about "IF" they release a patch for the game, it makes me think they're going to take the easy way out yet again and screw over their their non-PC players.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Yeah I know, but with them having not released a single patch for previous console games, and some dev on their official forums bloviating about "IF" they release a patch for the game, it makes me think they're going to take the easy way out yet again and screw over their their non-PC players.

"The easy way out" of not being able to afford to patch the game on consoles? :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The first patch on 360 is free, and there's no fee for PS3 patches anymore.

Oh wait, actually even 360 is free now:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-26-microsoft-no-longer-charges-developers-to-patch-their-xbox-360-games

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 23, 2014

• Locked thread