Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

This game was sort of a slow burn at first but it really started ramping up once I grabbed a few skills and unlocked the ghost motherfucker. Enjoying their attack pattern more than the starter lady's. Haven't beaten the warlock yet, but the game is really addictive, so I'm hoping that new content keeps getting unlocked or whatever the hell they said they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I bought the game a few days ago because it sounded like everything I want in a game.

Got around to trying it today. A bit laggy, got to the prologue part where it teaches you blocking/dodging and.. Got stuck between two pillars of light that went into the sky and nothing affected and I couldn't dodge past. Then the game crashed.

Welp.

e: Tried it a third time. Turns out the guard that was supposed to die and spawn an enemy was just T-posing for some reason. Picking stuff up with a 360 controller isn't working though. Oh well. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 23, 2014

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Watched ten minutes on an LP review by northernlion and bought it. It's drat good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Thoughts so far. It's really good. I have a bunch of complaints but they're all minor things that are only really a problem because they add up to be a pain. I'd still highly reccomend it to any fans of the games that inspire it.

The bad: It's kinda laggy. My computer's fairly good and I have all the fancy graphic stuff off. No idea why the framerate is so atrocious.

It's bad at explaining things. I bought a Burning Mummy. No idea what it did but it went into the same slot as an Undead Soldier I captured earlier. I died and.. Turned into a regular soldier? What does Curse do? Camp Tokens? Does falling into a pit instantly kill you? Is this boss taking any real damage from my attacks? What are these random soldiers doing, why do I only sometimes get locked into an area to fight, etc etc. Does a camp token at an altar mean I can take a break after it saves?

It can be hard to tell enviromental effects from traps that will kill you.

The warlock journal pages are random in order. I got the last ones first.

It's not as hard as I'd have expected. :shrug:

The good: It looks nice.

Chile isn't really a highly utilized setting. :v: The enemies start off pretty generic like Undead Soldiers and Centaurs but crazy plant birds and masked bird people and weird tree root golem things came up and were pretty awesome.

The music is nice too, but it's kinda samey.

The core gameplay? Really fun. Castlevania-Smash Bros-Dark Souls-Spelunky is the best summary I can give. Probably the most enjoyable indie game I've played since Hotline Miami came out a few years back.

Lots of variety by being able to play as the monsters.

The backgrounds are really well detailed.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Anatharon posted:

It's bad at explaining things. I bought a Burning Mummy. No idea what it did but it went into the same slot as an Undead Soldier I captured earlier. I died and.. Turned into a regular soldier?

An enemy soul doesn't replace your soldier, it's an alternate form you can access at any time by pressing down on the D-pad (or whatever your equivalent binding is, or you can select it from the inventory menu).

Anatharon posted:

What does Curse do?

It slows down all of your movement and animations. I'm not sure if it does anything else.

Anatharon posted:

Camp Tokens?

You can use them to set an altar as a checkpoint so you'll respawn at it if you die.

Anatharon posted:

Does falling into a pit instantly kill you?

No.

Anatharon posted:

Is this boss taking any real damage from my attacks?

Yes.

Anatharon posted:

What are these random soldiers doing,

Soldiering. They're just AI dudes that sometimes spawn in to help you with a fight. They're not great at it, but they do take some of the heat off of you which is nice.

Anatharon posted:

why do I only sometimes get locked into an area to fight,

Sometimes the game designates a certain area as a little monster box and locks you into it while you fight. It happens randomly and while you'll only ever get locked into an area with enemies, that doesn't mean every area with enemies will have you locked in.

Anatharon posted:

Does a camp token at an altar mean I can take a break after it saves?

No. Unfortunately, exiting the game means you have to restart from the top of the Abyss; camp tokens are solely for restarting after a death.

Anatharon posted:

It can be hard to tell enviromental effects from traps that will kill you.

There are only so many traps so you'll learn to identify them all before long.

Anatharon posted:

The warlock journal pages are random in order. I got the last ones first.

The pages aren't necessarily meant to drop in order; it's pretty much random which ones you'll get when. Actually, at least some of them only drop off of specific enemies--for example, I currently have all of them except for #9, because that one only drops off of a boss that spawns relatively rarely.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Silver Striker posted:

Well, just beat the game on my first run as the Monk guy, my 4th run overall. I like this game but I just feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually combo. Guess I need to spend more time practicing, although at least on normal difficulty my strategy of poke and run seems to work. I love the art, though.

Use your skill points on "Special Chances" at the bottom of the skill list before upgrading anything else. Those give you more blue orbs by your player portrait, which function as cancel points. Every time you cancel, an orb is depleted for a brief period of time. Having three makes the game feel so much better--the general idea is that you do a normal attack chain, but on the last attack, quickly hit a special button or roll button to cancel into it.

Here's the guide from the OP, which is helpful: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=278855106

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm getting the feeling that using tokens also ups the chance of soldiers aiding you in a fight. The dialogue at the surface does hint at it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Getting a monster soul is also never a bad idea, since you can switch between it and yourself freely and it's basically a second health bar for when you want to conserve your own. It was mentioned before in the thread, but when your magic bar fills up you can use the attack it does to 'tag' enemies and when they die they'll drop their soul. (unless you're not high enough level for a certain one, mind you) So, save it up for when you're lacking a monster soul or you're hunting for a specific one.

Souls are also good purchases from shopkeepers more than anything else for good reason.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

An enemy soul doesn't replace your soldier, it's an alternate form you can access at any time by pressing down on the D-pad (or whatever your equivalent binding is, or you can select it from the inventory menu).

Cool. Thanks for all the heads-ups.

I misunderstood the OP about the 'second life' thing when he talked about capturing a monster.

Despite my other problems with the game it's really fun. Do the various Camp Tokens give you more respawns at campsites, ie, a Camp Token 3 gives you 3 chances?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Yup.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I just cleared my first run through Nightmare Mode (on the easy path, because all my trips down the hard path ended in disaster). I feel like I finally got a grip on how to handle the bosses, which was really the key thing--the regular mobs all work basically the same way on Nightmare, so they're not all that much harder to deal with, but throwing an extra shadow character into every boss fight and making them more aggressive means you'll get totally wrecked if you're not prepared to deal with them.

Also, I just noticed they put out a hotfix for the leaderboard bug a couple of days ago. Does that mean they've turned Warlock kill progress back on? The mask's still only half destroyed.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 23, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Killed the Warlock. Game's awesome.

No luck finding the other characters yet.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Still need to beat the warlock. All went well and then my guy gets stunlocked by fish. :shepface:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Still need to beat the warlock. All went well and then my guy gets stunlocked by fish. :shepface:

Literal wet dreams: The worst. :downsrim:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Killed the Warlock. Game's awesome.

No luck finding the other characters yet.

If you got to the Warlock you probably should have at least unlocked the Ghost Monk. As for Pincoya, just save up 25000 gold and find the yellow room on your map.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Some more thoughts:

It really is a whole lot easier then I'd have expected.

The game's pretty buggy still. Health bars only started appearing on my fourth playthrough. Music keeps cutting out at random. Burning Mummies have to be on top of the little crappy poison enemies to hit them.

Ghost Monk is hilariously strong. Like I beat the game starting at level 1 via the Cathedral entrance with him. The Firefighter I got after my one death killed the weird red phantom boss with a polearm without taking damage when I could barely beat them with Katrien.

I didn't realize it was randomly generated until Katrien told a soldier that it was. The level layout is very linear and samey with a lack of enemy variety.

Despite all these complaints, it's really good still. The soldier after death thing reminds me of Hollowing in Dark Souls.

Something it took me awhile to figure out: The guy strumming a guitar gives you a random amount of EXP that's associated with his quote.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The enemy with that same model makes for a good soul by the way. His specials all chain together really well. Once you start a combo the ai doesn't seem to know how to handle it with that guy.

Just don't try ducking under the warlock fish attack with the monk. He's too tall. :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You can almost 100-0 the Warlock by spamming the (Undead) Firefighter's shotgun then into the overhand axe if he gets close.

You can 100-0 pretty much anything by spamming the Burning Mummy's side attack then base attack.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Just got this game. Unlocked Ghost Monk on the first runthrough (died in the Ice section), then unlocked Pincoya and beat the Warlock on the second go. If I can manage to beat him with the other two, I might try upping the difficulty.

Oh and gently caress those loving Ice Fish. Everything else is dealable, but those loving fish will come out of the loving walls with no loving warning. It's not even deadly, just really annoying.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Oh and gently caress those loving Ice Fish. Everything else is dealable, but those loving fish will come out of the loving walls with no loving warning. It's not even deadly, just really annoying.

I feel the same way with the spiked moving blocks since they seem to always be positioned above a death pit, guarding the single small platform you need to jump across. They also sometimes put a pendulum blade there too. Kind of crummy but whatever. You'll always come across that perfect storm of bullshit in procedurally generated levels.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 25, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gently caress the spiked sliding blocks. Some games can pull them off really well (Spelunky) but in this they're just poorly handled. Half the time the positioning makes it nearly impossible to dodge the things if anything at all is distracting you (and it will be) and the other half of the time the game might just lock you in a screen with them anyways, forcing you to deal with their giant hitboxes and near-constant moving.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The fish still take the cake for the most annoying bullshit ever. Sure is fun getting hit while browsing through the merchant's wares out of loving nowhere.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah the smash bros play control doesn't mesh with twitch platforming too well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's usually pretty fine, but then you occasionally run into a lovely pendulum or some block crap and it's near-guaranteed you'll take a hit. Most of the issue is that the stuff is too big. If players had even a little bit more room it'd work out fine while still being an obstacle.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah the smash bros play control doesn't mesh with twitch platforming too well.

Megabyte Punch pulled it off much better I think.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
I've been loving the game so far and co-op with FF on brought out the best memories of Battletoads with friends. I spent about half the night either apologizing for smacking the other goon around with the Monk or laughing as I ended up chain juggled by the enemies after he knocked me into poo poo.

On another note, does it sort of seem like the Ghost Monk's attacks makes the enemy AI lose it's mind? I can almost reliably pull off most of his combos as long as I either start with a jump in, a down swing or an upswing. His Fireball definitely screws with their AI too, I usually use it as a way to bait them into other attacks, then punt them into it after they dodge it anyway.

Egadsman
Apr 16, 2007

Projectiles exist only to set up throwing opportunities, and I'll not hear a word to the contrary.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
So whats the best way to not merk your teammate in online co op.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Anatharon posted:

Ghost Monk is hilariously strong. Like I beat the game starting at level 1 via the Cathedral entrance with him. The Firefighter I got after my one death killed the weird red phantom boss with a polearm without taking damage when I could barely beat them with Katrien.

I have not run into a single enemy in this game that I couldn't kill by spamming the firefighter's shotgun and slide kick moves.

He's basically as good as the monk is.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Okay, there are conflicting statements on this, so I'm asking to make sure: What level do you need to be to capture the Warlock, 60 or 70?

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
As someone who captured him, I can tell you that you have to be level 70, which is also the max level.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks. Just him and the Living Creature left.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Tip for nabbing the Living Creature: if you happen to be out of mana when it attacks (say, from capturing the Warlock), there will be two mana jars lying around, one on each side of the area (or one in the rafters in the cathedral). That'll get you up to 80%, and then you better hope you've got a special move with some mana boosts applied to it.

And let me know how many times you killed it before it dropped its journal page, the jerk still hasn't given it to me. :argh:

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I actually just managed to catch it right before the run where I reached 70 with Katrien (the other two are in the 20's). Got lucky in the fact that you can still pick up the soul even if you've been K.O'd into the Soldier. Obviously I took that thing all the way to the Warlock.

The problem is, once the Warlock was low on health and I fired the capture spell, it went to cutscene before I could pick up the soul. Next time I'll try marking him with it before he gets killed, but it's still a bummer.

Still no page 9. It's the last page I need.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Yeah, I was worried that might happen the first time I took on the Warlock at 70. I was hitting him like normal, realized "oh crap he's almost dead" and fired the spell, it basically killed him on the first tick and I was stuck in the animation, but I managed to grab the soul in the couple seconds I had left.

To go off of the boss chatter, what do all of you think of the playable forms of the bosses? I tried to make a full run with the Living Creature when I first grabbed it, and while it is very good at killing things, I've found it gets swarmed easily and has its health just melt away. Verbum Dei, on the other hand, has a few attacks that hit behind him, and he is tall rather than long, making less of a target than the Living Creature. Not to mention his forward normal has a huge range. The Warlock, of course, has quite the reach and very good mobility, he can control the spacing of any relatively flat area. Pretty much every recent run I've done has been buying the Warlock from the Cathedral for 20,000 and then just staying as him through the entire abyss. I probably wouldn't get all the way through on the Warlock alone without those arenas for health refills, but they are there and so I do.

As a general tip unrelated to that, try and experiment with dodge attacks, several enemies have at least a forward dodge attack. The Warlock's is especially effective, since his dodge covers such a large area anyways.

Oblivion4568238 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 29, 2014

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just finished the warlock for the first time. I assume the game has scaling difficulty of some sort, since it obviously is wanting to be replayed. In what ways does the game get harder on subsequent playthroughs?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

LibbyM posted:

I just finished the warlock for the first time. I assume the game has scaling difficulty of some sort, since it obviously is wanting to be replayed. In what ways does the game get harder on subsequent playthroughs?

Going down the later routes is a little rougher, since you're thrown straight into more difficult areas and tougher enemies with less time to gather up equipment and mana and souls, and if you turn on Nightmare mode the enemies get more aggressive and the boss fights all spawn an extra shadow dude which makes them a whole lot harder. As far as I know, though, the enemies don't really scale with your level or anything, so that's about it for difficulty unless/until the devs decide to add some more ways to ramp things up.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 30, 2014

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Late to the party, but I am really enjoying Super Smash Souls Abyss Odyssey. My only gripe is that finding the Warlock Pages seems to be so randomized. I liked how in Rogue Legacy, the log entries went in sequence, so you eventually found them all, no matter where you went.

Having said that, I will probably hunt down every page as the lore is weirdly interesting. Especially the bird women... :stare:

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

PowerBeard posted:

Late to the party, but I am really enjoying Super Smash Souls Abyss Odyssey. My only gripe is that finding the Warlock Pages seems to be so randomized. I liked how in Rogue Legacy, the log entries went in sequence, so you eventually found them all, no matter where you went.

Having said that, I will probably hunt down every page as the lore is weirdly interesting. Especially the bird women... :stare:

Fathermother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Patch just went through on Steam. Sounds...interesting.

quote:

Patch v1.03 is out
July 31 - [ACE] cbordeu
Fixes / changes include:

- Attacks that output strong impact vfxs do high damage to shields.
- Tweaked all character shield values.
- Updated grab vfx and sfx.
- Tweaked difficulty chance assigned to levels.
- Slightly increased AI level of most NPCs.
- Captured enemies have 70% of their health when used by players.
- Projectiles that move in arcs don't collide with jump through platforms during their rise.
- Fixed blue fireball collisions.
- Fixed XP displaying incorrectly for players using XP rings.
- Health orbs give slightly less health.

Note: The bulk of this update addresses additional content for the next mask phase (not described in the change list).

• Locked thread