Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

AirborneNinja posted:

Accord Engineer didn't need to use a tesla to repair poo poo because it had Repair Nanites, which is incredibly useless now. Electron is a quick moving support, if you don't drop the shield and boomerang you only have one slot for a deployable. The number one thing either of these frames would want a repair gun for is the heavy turret, which now has a limited duration deployment. The only time I use the repair beam is when there are too many enemies for me to quickly kill with the lovely primary and I have to tank them with the turret which is boring as gently caress.

I would much rather have stickys available on all my engineers.

I'd much rather have turrets not completely suck because dear god, while they do okay damage now they could be outtanked by literal Origami swans and with the cooldowns and the general uptime I'm spending a lot of mission hiding behind poo poo and plinking away at the twenty or so enemies every wave spawns. I get why things are that way but I absolutely hate when my game experience gets hosed over in the name of PvP balance.

Speaking of PvP all I've fought so far are Mammoths and while it took them forever to take me down I barely did any damage because they'd take down my turrets before they could even engage so again I was stuck plinking away with my rifle, never really any danger to anyone. Like a 30 minute Benny Hill bit.

The Interface is genuinely better though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I don't know if it's just me but my air time in general seems to be worse and while my energy recharge rate is very good I just can't clear obstacles anymore the way I used to.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Cheston posted:

Is Broken Peninsula a ghost town right now? I've joined a few times and haven't gotten assigned to a team or anything.

You do get assigned to a team but you don't get teamed up. I've seen other friendly players but few and far between. Same goes for enemies though, barely anyone there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You should do Tornadoes, those give you a lot of everything. Also I really don't have a problem finding Titanium, that stuff is everywhere but I haven't even seen Uranium yet. And I've been looking.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

Good news! It's now built into the default UI so you have a little readout of how many turrets you have up and how damaged they are.

Bad news... They last 120 seconds by default and are more fragile than before.

Bottom line: If your turret(s) aren't on cooldown, it's time to place another.

Exactly this. I don't think the addons have been adapted yet since the one I have still shows the old timer of 30/10 minutes but it has a bar for every turret so it may be worth getting anyway. Search for deployable helper on the forums.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

Looking through this thread I just realized how many of you I know from STO launch. :V

Another game that was ruined by Branflakes

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Melding was just pushed back a bit, I saw a big red thumper while exploring and decided to check it out. It had a cannon on top that killed me in half a second flat so you might want to keep clear of red thumpers.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Every time you start conquering anything you get swarmed by ten angry bored Russians. Could use some balancing I guess.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

xxEightxx posted:

Dear lord I had enough of that in eve. Count me out if that's what pvp becomes. I think gw2 was similar as well. Made for a most I fun pvp experience.

Don't know about your servers but that's what the European ones are like. Only you can't take poo poo while they sleep because they either have people pulling shifts and waking up the others when poo poo goes down, don't sleep at all or share accounts. It's always the same bunch of guys and one of them is always there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

xxEightxx posted:

It looks like some sort of proportional calculation based on total exp to level. So you can still do it, even if you are level 2, you just don't get level 38 experience or whatever. It is still a very viable and popular option.

Really? Because I didn't get gently caress all for turning in 40 missions even on my 31 frames, no xp, no other rewards. Even tried it three times to make sure.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Me. Me me me! I fuckin love BWA.

Might as well give it a shot, maybe It'll be fun enough if I get some better gear and poo poo.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Gerdalti posted:

Just re-installed this and applied to GOONS. Haven't played since last year, and I'm totally lost. I need an intro but don't want to delete my character :(

Make a new account to play the intro then. Toss it when you're done.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Doesn't surprise me at all but honestly what do they expect people to do when the boss spawns tons of adds, hits like a truck and takes half an hour of sustained fire to kill? I bet it'll still be exploitable as all gently caress when it comes back though. That or nobody will do it.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeMRujJYiw

People figured out they could ignore the boss and farm the elites for fuckloads of drops.

Beats what I did.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Geburan posted:

I play very sporadically at odd hours. What is a good setup for solo PvE that can jump in and out of groups fairly well? Any specific frames I should focus on unlocking? I'm not sure I'll play enough to justify dropping $20 for an LGV yet, but I have an infinite glider from Beta, so yay.

I'd say Recluse or any of the Dreads even though I have only played Mammoth and Arsenal post launch, the other two should do fine as well.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

texasmed posted:

Accord Engineer is a great basic frame

I'm sorry but this is just completely wrong. Good on you for soloing the story mission but you'd have to be some kind of brain dead slug creature to fail those so it's not very telling. All turrets have been nerfed to poo poo even though they do decent damage they can't take a hit and I mean that literally. There are a decent number of enemies who will just take out any turret in one hit at level and those aren't all just elites and bosses. If you're a Bastion with sentinel pod yeah, they do a bit better, especially against bugs and other stuff that has to get close to hit but if you're fighting ranged enemies and two or more of them with anything bigger than an assault rifle shoot the same turret it's pretty much toast no matter what you do.

But of course as the basic Engineer you don't even have the sentinel pod and repairing nanites are crap so you're either sitting around repairing your turret with your main gun constantly or you won't see much uptime on it. Meaning you're essentially taking yourself or your main gimmick out of the fight and at that point you're just better off playing any other frame like the Recluse that farts poison clouds everywhere and heals itself while doing so or any of the Dreads with a high health pool, some good survivability skills and a weapon you only have to reload once every blue moon or any of the Assault frames with a quirky yet functional main gun and good utility or a Recon frame with the R36, probably the best gun in the game right now and other cool fun gimmicks.

What I'm getting at relying on turrets right now is pretty much an exercise in frustration and any other frame will outperform you. For soloing the high survivability and ease of use of a Dread or the insane DPS and self heal of a Recluse just can't be beat.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

You won't be as powerful as any other frame for general combat but if all you want to do is poo poo out 10 turrets and collect loot while they go to town on anything near your thumper, there's no better choice. Maybe if they buff the health on the turrets it'll be useful for something else. I tried using it on the DT takeback event and was frustrated as hell. Still, there is no better thumper. Don't listen to all those Recluse pilots out there.

I pretty much agree with this, it's still good for thumping but only because thumping only shits bugs and the like at you, mostly small poo poo with no ranged attack and you can deal with those easily if you have deployable repulsor slotted and use the terrain to your advantage. You need pretty specific gear to be really effective though and most humanoid enemies will still gently caress up your day. It gets a bit better once you can actually field purples with purple modules but until then so if you can afford to buy it from other people or can craft it yourself you'll do okay-ish but I wouldn't recommend playing it as your main just now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You should still have 10% bonus xp

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Thor-Stryker posted:

It can't be stressed enough that the Raptor fairs far better at lower levels with the Assault rifle vs the charge rifle. You can't take very many hits at those levels, and having your shot miss because the ai moves randomly and haphazardly sucks. Plus the assault rifle syncs better with resonating bolts and frost grenades, way more fun and versatile.

That's why you use the R36. This ^ is also why you use the R36. It's a great rifle and I use it on all the Recon frames mostly because Firefall is the kind of game where a weapon you can easily use at any range will keep you alive.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So I'm doing the raids today. Baneclaw was a blast and decently challenging, loot sucked though. Currently dead at the bottom of a lava lake during the Kanaloa fight because I couldn't disengage turret mode quick enough so that's a skill I wouldn't recommend for that fight. Also don't bring engineers, turrets don't target him at all and the AP turret somehow doesn't damage him. So far I'm enjoying the fight though.

Having two squad 3 Thumpers in one valley with only the space in between them for enemies to spawn is loving insane too, Firecats spitting fire everywhere, Ash Dragons looking stupid all over the place, it's like the apocalypse with all that fire around you are not ready. And then the Chosen show up. Good opportunity to just hang out with a turret nest somewhere safe for just killing critters and farming their drops since those are the new bottlenecks.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Do not DO NOT ever spend red beans directly, turn them into credits then buy whatever you want on the exchange, poo poo is so much cheaper that way.

Also about that kill valley stuff I found some more spots that might work well and I took some screenshots I will upload when I can be arsed. I might also join mumble later so we can try some of those spots if I'm awake/sober/motivated/whatever.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So I just confirmed that the client has MASSIVE memory leak like that's the second time that after an hour of playing all my RAM is used until I force quit. Also made me lose a full Thumper load plus participation on a second one. Luckily none of those idiots took my 70% spot though.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

That's not normal. Check out the technical support forums and see if someone's had this happen before and what the fix is. If you can't find one, https://support.firefallthegame.com/home submit a ticket and they can help.

Well the fix is not thumping for three hours straight. It only seems to happen when I stay in the same spot for insane amounts of time.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
For the foreseeable future no. Everybody and their dog are trying to sell beans for credits right now since credits are severely limited by gameplay stuff and beans are only limited by how much people are willing to spend.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Ville Valo posted:

You'll get the first campaign mission at level 6, and then seven more up through level 24. That's Slingshot's ship; he's one of the characters in the campaign story.

And the guy who keeps bitching about you not mining good stuff even if your thumper is 75% Uranium 25% Titanium. He also bitches at you if your thumper breaks. There's actually a lot of bitching, I'd like an option to reduce chatter to mission relevant like your suit telling you you're about to be swallowed by melding and to turn off the constant reminders about your mission while you're busy dealing with a bigger event you came across on the way. Petty complaint I know, but it gets on my nerves at times.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Well I have found researching modules to green to be generally worth it for leveling, haven't really started making GBS threads out 40 purples though and as far as gear goes it varies, you're generally better off just grabbing a blue now and again off the market, especially at 40. Unless of course you already know someone who will build stuff for you for materials.

BWA drops really good stuff but I'd be careful about it. I spent an hour soloing the boss only to find out that the Recluse gun is complete poo poo because it pretty much gives up on AoE in favor of direct damage and you really want that AoE.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Combat Shotgun has never been good.

Edit: Also gonna need a fuckton of semiconductors, if anybody has extras or wants to trade for metals or other crafting poo poo I'm sure I could make it worth your while.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 4, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Musluk posted:

Are you sure you're using a bio crossbow? Because recluse is literally the fart out aoe clouds: the frame.

Yes but the BWA drop has 0.5m base instead of the usual >4m

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

ChickenWing posted:

I've finally decided that, much as I like the Dreadnought, I can't deal with how slow it is in a game with this much running about. I started mucking about with the recon, and while I'm not enjoying it quite as much as the dread the game certainly feels a whole lot less tedious.

Unrelated: is it worth grouping up in the early game? It seems like the XP split defeats any increase in speed that you might get from working with someone else.

You never split xp, everybody gets the full amount. gently caress, you even get the full amount when you cough at an enemy someone else is killing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I just crafted two epics yesterday. Ah well at least getting more will now be easier. Also yay turret fix.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Turrets tend to do okay now but you don't want to set up under fire if you can avoid it and there are still enemies that will take out your nest and gently caress up your day. I wouldn't actually recommend any of the engineer classes if you want to get poo poo done. I'd say go Arsenal, you get a decent main gun and can choose from lots of good abilities that'll keep you alive while still not being as slow as a Mammoth. If you insist on the AoE it's Mammoth or Assaults and I personally dislike Assaults for their odd play style and general squishiness compared to other choices.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I'm just glad I don't have to hear those loving bandit leaders anymore and even though the same "voice actor" does the voices for the Blood Kings not having to hear that stupid line about red beans repeated for all eternity really makes my gaming experience better. Same goes for El Terremoto and I was super happy I got to kill him in the end.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Everything is thumped dry though which sucks but not because of the metal, you just need something there to call down a thumper and farm animal poo poo and items to salvage, the stuff you really want.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Around 10k credits for the good one if you're up for some light farming.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thats what squad thumpers do.

Use a personal if you don't want chosen piles (read: not playing a recluse or bastion)

That's not true I've seen Firecats and Mammoths do perfectly fine on squad 3. You just have to find a spot that funnels enemies closer together for easy AoE. Also you still thump just not for the metals. Nobody gives a poo poo about those but thumping is the best way to get lots of spawns to kill for drops I've had about a dozen epics drop while thumping, half of them modules, some of them I could use, the rest I sold.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The deployable repulsor has an internal cooldown of 20 seconds or so, it mainly helps with keeping poo poo off of ledges you decide to build your nest on, it won't help much if you decide to put your turrets in harm's way instead of cleverly using terrain to your advantage.

The Electron isn't every popular because frankly it's not very good, you're probably gonna have a better time with any other frame and I don't know where you heard that the Arsenal isn't good, it's perfectly fine, all the Dreads are. They're just not very fast which sucks while leveling unless you have a bike.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Malicus posted:

Does this also apply to Dragonfly abilities and Bio Rifles?

It even applies to Pauly Shore and low tier Baldwins Buuuuuuuuudy

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

E-Tap posted:

I don't have a Dragonfly high enough to test primary fire on, but there's a thread that confirms it to work on the alt-fire of bio rifles, same thread that the perk is recommended for Dragonflies also: http://forums.firefallthegame.com/community/threads/catalytic-poison.4423521/

Healing Ball and Healing Pillar count as poison damage when hitting enemies and does trigger it, Emergency Response might as well if it functions in the same way, but I haven't seen any confirmation of it.

Edit: That's pretty funny if it also works with Biodome as suggested

I was just making a stupid joke don't tell me there's really an ability called bio dome

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Inimicul posted:

I agree that the engineer isn't ideal for a full run unless you have a good secondary like an assault rifle and your PR is through the roof.

Well yeah but the same is true for any class but with the others you will likely also get a primary that helps and some skills. Not saying it can't be done because I've done it I just wouldn't want to do it again. Same goes for any other class with no decent long range option though and that's before you factor in that soloing the boss will most likely be a colossal waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm actually unhappy that more hasn't been done with the sky. Thunderstorms/Hurricane style weather would be awesome to muck around in, especially at-night if they can produce some good looking lightning.

What I'm trying to say is, give me more than the stupid wisps of clouds the current game has Red5, do it.

Well the only other incarnation of weather will kill you if you're not careful, in one shot even.

• Locked thread