Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Speaking of bugs, I can't get the game to let me complete the first strifebringers-under-Copacabana intro quest. I first went through it with a squadmate, and I think another few people were doing it simultaneously, so it was really confusing and I got the completion radio message twice but the quest marker and task list is still on my HUD. Going back in, I see the strifebringers and the prompts to destroy them, but when I approach one there's no "E" popup and I can't seem to interact with them. Pretty frustrating, especially with the HUD marker constantly confusing things when I'm trying to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Inimicul posted:

WALL OF TEXT ALERT!!!

I spent most of the afternoon running to the different voucher vendors to see what they all had so I knew where to go when I wanted ITEM X. It turned out to take a lot longer than I thought it would so I'm missing a few but here's what I have:
This is awesome, thanks! Should save everyone a ton of time. It's nice that there's a straightforward way to buy decent gear now.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Are hoverpads still available? I want to get me one of those, but there's no sign of 'em on the market.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Inimicul posted:

The market is still filling up as people try to figure it out. If you're wanting a permanent one, it may be quite a wait but I keep getting them from copper vending tokens so at least the single use versions are plentiful. In the mean time, I'm dumping things on the market while I have 16 slots and no fucks to give.
Are you sure you mean hoverpads and not glider pads? I've never seen a one-time use hoverpad, and I've already got a permanent glider pad.

Regardless, I have to say this new market is a pretty awesome improvement.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Cheston posted:

There's one on the market right now for 10,000 credits, or about 55 red beans. I doubt one'll go lower.

I missed it :negative:

Time to register a persistent buy order, I suppose.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Do you have to get to a certain level to see chat or something? I can't seem to find anything in options to that effect, but I haven't seen a single person saying anything. The chat window is there, but only system messages appear.
Now I'm getting this problem too, though it was working fine for me last night (with the Steam client). Logging out and entering my password and logging back in again didn't help. We need to set up a mumble server or something so our comms don't rely on their janky infrastructure.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 19, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Inimicul posted:

They just took the chat servers down about an hour ago to work on this issue. Perhaps that's it?
I suppose so, Looks like it's back up now anyway.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I spent some time with a few of you running ARES quests in DT with low-level frames; at 30-50k XP each with another 100k every time an incursion shows up, it's a pretty good show for rapid levelling, albeit difficult.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
The current market situation motivated me to go ahead and buy another advanced battleframe (in addition to my Firecat, Tigerclaw, and Raptor) while they're cheap, and based on many goonful recommendations I opted for the Mammoth. Just from the casual messing around with it I've done so far, I can tell that was an excellent decision, in that it plays completely differently than any of my existing classes, and does so while being immensely fun in its own right. Got my first three levels by calling down squad 2 thumpers outside Copa and wading through the sea of low-level spawns that result, tanking damage and hosing down everything in sight with an unending stream of glorious plasma. Not to mention that when gliding you can pretend to be an A10!

I also discovered the glorious effect of mosquito wings when gliding. Dive a little, pull up so you're pointing vertically, then pop them and you'll gain a ridiculous amount of altitude. If you're like me and have tons of them sitting in your inventory from random drops, they'll make for a great way to glide further, faster, longer, and higher whenever the whim takes you. Combine with firecat using inferno dash, afterburner, and burn jets, and you can probably just fly straight up. I wonder if the world has a ceiling...

Ralith fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jul 20, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Inimicul posted:

I was in a Travelcat going from Thump Dump to Sunken Harbor and ran into an invisible wall which caused me to stall.
Man, how high up were you? I've had my own travelcat up multiple km over the ocean by thump dump before and never hit a thing.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Darksaber posted:

This happens with squad thumpers sometimes. In my experience it's like a third of the time, and I'm not sure if it's intended because every time it's happened to me it's been a squad wipe. Maybe it's just in there as random chance to discourage squad thumping with less than 5? Don't know.
Honestly, I love this. It's a great way to farm chosen salvage for crafting.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
There's a command, /stuck or /unstuck or something. Alternatively you can find a way to kill yourself.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Cheston posted:

Ralith posted:

Are hoverpads still available? I want to get me one of those, but there's no sign of 'em on the market.
There's one on the market right now for 10,000 credits, or about 55 red beans. I doubt one'll go lower.
Just picked one up for 6k by leaving a buy order up overnight. The glitch still works. :getin:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Lemon King posted:

At 25 you get to craft one by following the Ares mission boards, you can buy one via the rb store and you can also get an Omnidyne bike from the Lotto Machine.
Wait, what? A reusable one? What quest?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Another happy discovery: the Mammoth's teleport shot ability plays well with gliders, so you can basically use it like afterburners to get extra airtime. Only tricky bit is you teleport in with zero velocity and instantly stall, so you have to be quick on leveling out. Not sure how well it scales; I only have a level 6 one righ tnow.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

The fact that all our frames were below level 20 but all our gear being 30-40 was just a great big gently caress you on top of that.
Frames are level-capped per zone. Go to Sertao/DT if you have a high level frame.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

We don't have any high level frames. The highest any of us had was around 24.
That's the level cap. Go to a Sertao/DT.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Wait, lower level thumpers can't mine higher level resources anymore?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Serious Frolicking posted:

So would that be the sole level 40 content aside from pvp?
IIRC, once we unveil the whole area, the entirety of DT is going to be turned into a 20-man instance in which you push back the melding from the start.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Morglon posted:

Every time you start conquering anything you get swarmed by ten angry bored Russians. Could use some balancing I guess.
The design's like planetside, so take a cue from planetside strategy: play for territory control when the enemy team is asleep.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

xxEightxx posted:

Dear lord I had enough of that in eve. Count me out if that's what pvp becomes. I think gw2 was similar as well. Made for a most I fun pvp experience.
Well, the only real objective right now is "hold a base for 15 minutes so you can get the resources," so it doesn't seem like that big a deal yet. We'll see how it plays long-term. It's difficult to avoid that sort of effect in persistent MMO territory control games, unfortunately.

Cheston posted:

Their cooldowns are quite long and you'll rarely need them while soloing, so I wouldn't bother getting any of those three. If you don't have a glider pad, get one, and if you can also get a hoverpad, get one. When you place them next to eachother and walk between them, you get glider wings and a massive elevation boost. I rarely use an LGV because of this and it can get you pretty much anywhere very quickly, regardless of terrain or other obstacles. Even just a glider pad will increase your mobility a ton.

You could also try getting a Recharging Ammo Dispenser. It's not something you put down- rather, you use it like you would an ammo pack, but it doesn't get consumed and usually recharges before you need it again.

The Recharging Sonic Detonator is pretty minor, but also relatively cheap, so grab one if you want. You'll usually only encounter one resource deposit at a time, so it's one less thing to worry about crafting.
For reference, I paid 6k for a hoverpad, and another goon got one for a bit under 5k. Place a buy order in that range and be patient. There's not enough demand to actually drive prices up, even if the supply is rather low. Don't waste your credits filling an above-market sell order; just be patient.
Also, is there a reliable technique for getting the boost? I picked up a hoverpad recently for this exact reason, but I've been having a hard time reliably triggering both pads at once unless I luck into the rare glitch that lets you place them on top of eachother.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

dromer posted:

Detonators are completely useless now as you can destroy deposits by hitting them with a scan hammer.
You could always do this. IIRC it only gives you a fraction of the resources.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
e: I'm dumb

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 22, 2014

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I've always been a fan of burn jets, just because there's a lot of melee enemies in this game and hovering over their head while shooting at them and setting them on fire is just amazing. Plus, it's great for mobility; it makes it far easier to cross large horizontal spaces, since you can trigger it when your jets run out and then wait for them to recharge, and even works with gliding if you apply sufficient finesse (i.e. have a high initial upwards velocity). I can't say I like the HKM much--it never seems to do much damage, doesn't impede the enemies from standing there and shooting at you, loves to bounce off terrain and go flying into the sky, etc. The assault HKM is pretty underwhelming too, but at least it does useful damage and hits reliably.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Gammon posted:

For those who don't know, it seems the ultra quick levelling in Devil's Tusk has been fixed. If you're too low for the zone (anything under 33/34 seems to be 'too low') then you get severely nerfed xp from Chosen thumpers, ARES missions, etc.
That's a really dumb fix. Doing overleveled missions with proportionally higher difficulty and reward both was a lot of fun and a great way to change things up. Now instead of fixing the exploit they've just made that a waste of time.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Xavier434 posted:

Also, super noob question, but how do I repair my gear?
Battleframe garages have a red 'Repair' button on the bottom of the right panel.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Kikilupo posted:

I cant decide between Dragonfly, Firecat, or Recluse frames.
Firecat is awesome at gliding because you get afterburners, inferno dash, and burn jets, all of which can be used to gain altitude. With good enough gear you can easily glide forever, which is great for getting around and just plain exploring. Despite tigerclaw ostensibly being the mobility frame, firecat really is the best there. That said, I haven't used either of the others, and they probably have their own compelling points.

Plus, every time you hit a group of enemies with your AoE primary, you've effectively multiplied your DPS by however many enemies there were. And enemies in this game group up a lot.

Kikilupo posted:

And a stupid question, where can I find the Army panel so I can apply? I'm not seeing it in the social panel or any of the others. Do I need to find a special terminal in game?
All menus can be accessed by pressing c or ` and right-clicking to go back a level (scroll to navigate), or by holding alt (or pressing escape, or any other way of getting the mouse active) and clicking the corresponding button under your minimap.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Did a bunch of squad 3 thumping with goons today in low-level areas. It frequently spawned like 5-10 tightly packed drop pods of chosen towards the end, which was immensely fun. You'd just charge around through this big herd of enemies firing everything you had in every direction and getting constant killstreaks and an inventory full of drops. Eventually we even found a place that spawned chosen for the regular enemies, too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

permanoob posted:

I've been enjoying the game solo, but trying to get missions done with multiple people is terribly cumbersome. Had some friends start playing with the new changes and both missions we tried were riddled with bugs and problems and took a long time to complete because of that.

We had a ton of fun doing S3 thumpers though. They were a tad inconsistent it seemed. We dropped one in one spot. Had no problems. Launched it at 100% and maybe 60% health. The next one we dropped, easily 4 times as many chosen crawled out and we had to launch at 95% because the health was dropping like a brick at 20%.
Never had or heard of any issues doing missions with multiple people, aside from some screwery that happens with job board mission cancelling. They're mostly designed to be completed by squads.
High level thumpers sometimes but not always result in a spam of chosen drop pods near the end; other than that, they should be pretty consistent at any given drop point.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Daysvala posted:

Has anyone else noticed no difference in damage between a body shot and a head shot? I'm playing a Nighthawk with the +10% Headshot damage perk and I don't see a difference in the amount of damage I'm doing.
I've played a lot of Raptor, and headshot damage is absolutely there (on some non-human enemies it's in a weird place though, think "weak armor" not "head") and has a dramatic effect. The chosen are a pretty good test target since they have obvious and consistent heads and frequently hold still for you to aim carefully at.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Man, all the unlockable perks seem really nice. Gives a real reason to play non-advanced classes.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Inimicul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIeMRujJYiw

People figured out they could ignore the boss and farm the elites for fuckloads of drops.
Is that the engineer's grenade launcher?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Oh, haha. That explains why it looked competitive with the Firecat's primary.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Fina posted:

I see you can buy inventory expansion with red beans. Is it really 5 beans for 1 slot or what is the exchange rate there?
5 beans for the first ten slots, then it doubles for each additional ten slots. Bear in mind that you can buy red beans for credits, and the first few expansions are actually quite affordable this way.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I've found that my inventory use always expands to fill the space I have. You can also always just sell the stuff you don't have an immediate use for, and buy it back later if/when that changes. I'm starting to just salvage all whites I pick up, too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Thanatosian posted:

Anything clearly superior like that worth picking up with the other 265 beans I've got?
Place a buy order for a reusable hoverpad. If you use one of those and a glider pad simultaneously, you'll rocket up into the air and can gain enough altitude to glide almost anywhere from almost anywhere. It makes bikes a bit obsolete, to be honest.

Also, always check the price of something on the market in credits before buying it with red beans. It's usually cheaper, though of course that depends on the current exchange rate.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
No single type of gameplay Firefall offers holds up well on its own if you just do the one thing for hours on end. Its strength is that they're all pretty good in small doses and there's so many of them that you can easily spend a whole night playing and never do any one class of thing more than once or twice. You don't even have to plan most of the time; you can just amble around exploring and following random whims. That's how I stumbled upon my first chosen incursion, which was quite a nice surprise.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Fina posted:

Most games that store files in AppData are storing user preferences and config files. You make it sound like it's the users fault that Firefall is the only game that saves nearly half of its sizable footprint there.
Firefall does this so it can run without requiring admin priveleges to write to its install dir. This is good software development practice, and improves the security of your system. As others have pointed out, there are still multiple ways to control the disk used.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

JonusRockweller posted:

Don't forget to check your emails, Red5 is giving out free RedBeans available until the 31st and you'll need to click it's big shiny link to get them. '92 Red Beans' is certainly a random number, unsure if that's a fixed number, random, or if something influences it.
Has anyone who didn't buy anything from Red5 gotten any?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
You can buy red beans whenever you want. That's probably the source for any variation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Mr Scumbag posted:

So I've decided I'm going to play as either a Raptor or Nighthawk. I just wanted to get some opinions on what they're like in early/late game and solo? any other info/tips that might be helpful info to help me decide which one I want to main would be appreciated, too. Thanks!
Charge rifle headshots (Raptor) will never not be awesome. Especially those rare moments when you line up multiple with one shot.

• Locked thread