Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Sphrin posted:

http://www.firefallthegame.com/news/firefall-live-airs-this-friday-with-more-giveaways-special-guest-and-live-q-a

Q&A tomorrow at 1pm Eastern, they are giving away a couple of the $30 packs and one $100 pack but it will be a type in a given keyword type so only able to win if you actually watch.

Link for the Red 5 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/r5studios

I really hope they fix Ares missions spawning soon, running between the ones at Shanty town was the best but now with the spawns so few and far between my drive to grind has gone down quite a bit. Really need to join Goons to find people to play with.

There's a level 33-34 Ares mission that respawns around 20-30 seconds after it's finished in Sertao. Just west of The Nest. It's even got a mostly fantastic layout with a shortcut right to the end room from the first room. Look for a hole you can drop down with a jump pad at the bottom. Downside? If the mission rolls a group bomb you are hosed. Chosen density gets absurd and the layout is really long if you're not taking the shortcut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Inimicul posted:

The market is still filling up as people try to figure it out. If you're wanting a permanent one, it may be quite a wait but I keep getting them from copper vending tokens so at least the single use versions are plentiful. In the mean time, I'm dumping things on the market while I have 16 slots and no fucks to give.

I hope that's true. I want to go check it out. I need titanium and uranium for crafting but I'm not finding any in DT yet until it gets pushed back. I have enough tungsten to choke a camel though.

Titanium spawns all over in Sertao. Uranium does not. Supposedly uranium will only spawn in the level 40 biomes in Devil's Tusk. Which is kind of odd because titanium spawns wherever the gently caress it wants in Sertao.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Well, after a about a dozen hours with the patch I'd say it has exactly the same Red5 sheen as every other patch in the history of the game. The base mechanics are neither especially good nor especially bad for a shooter. Anything unique about them is squashed by poor utility of the unique features. The netcode is quite poor for the damage output of enemies, and many classes have no good option for reducing non-combat downtime. On the whole, it's an ok game because of the novelty of drop-in drop-out open world coop, but the balance is atrocious in places. It's like they've got three or four content teams for each aspect of the game and none of them are working off the same design document. There's very polished quality of life features in some areas of the world and a deep abiding hatred for the player in other areas. Some Ares jobs are quick and painless, and others send you to every corner of the zone. Some resources flow quickly, and others (everything bio) are absurdly bottle-necked in comparison. Critical mechanical details on perks are hidden from the player while respecs are limited, encouraging you to get your perk selection right the first time. (Never mind the anti-competitive and meta-freezing effects limited respecs will have on PvP.)

Overall, it's a deeply flawed entry in a subgenre that doesn't have any standout titles. You can't do better, but that's not really because of the quality of Firefall so much as the utter lack of choice.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Don't forget that bringing a thumper to 100% gives out large bonuses. A personal 3 that you and four buddies get to 100% gives 325 resources split between you all, and another 325 resources for each of you. A squad 3 that you bring to 100% gives 750 resources for each member of the squad.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I'm finding myself flush with credits, and I'm thinking about some market purchases to insulate against Red5's schizophrenic world design. Does anyone know the cool-downs for the reusable crafting station, reusable battleframe station, and reusable garage? The last convenient item I purchased turned out to be anything but.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
There's a bunch of waves that you can see after using your scan-hammer, and the have a direction to them. I can never remember which way it works, but either the waves come from a resource vein, or the waves go to a resource vein. Someone will probably be along to specify which one it is. Until then, pick one of the directions and go until you either find the resource vein (a big spike in the visual effect) or you start scanning dirt.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Inimicul posted:

The boss gives 3 things which from the two times I've done it so far have either been three purples or two purples and a blue. Good stuff so far. Unlike the level 24 version, these aren't bound to me so I expect the market to crash pretty fast on level 40 purple gear.

Mine were account bound, so either there's a chance of non-Necro gear or it's been fixed.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Yeah the real downside is when you need to use it at range, the COF blooms pretty fast. I like how they have balanced DPS based on things like accuracy or AOE, it actually makes sense. It's also why I can't stand shotguns. Their DPS might be through the roof, but good lord that reload. :gonk:

Shotguns are for two classes, assaults with the new and improved Overcharge, and whatever Recon variant gets power-field. Even then, the real killer for shotgun effectiveness isn't the reload but desync. You can center your cursor on a stationary Chosen shock trooper and do anywhere from 1/3 to 0 of their health when you pull the trigger, and there's basically no way to predict which direction you should adjust your aim.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

E-Tap posted:

It sounds like the fusion cannon might be an exception, but for the Biotech bio needler at least it's hard to get a secondary weapon that can compete with the damage it puts out once you can start slapping in modules for them, disregarding a secondary weapon's role like crowds or single targets or the like. I'm going to guess it's to compensate for your primary weapon being constrained to ammo and secondary being infinite. Not that I terribly mind that is, it does like three times the damage an equal level assault rifle does per shot, the alt fire burst just disintigrates poo poo at a good range, using one with a clip size of 73 is pretty satisfying at the moment.

Assault frames have usually suffered in PvE because they were powerful in PvP. While the Assault toolset can burst out enough damage to kill another frame in two or three seconds with abilities, their abilities have relatively little staying power against groups of enemies. Dealing 25% of an enemy's health pool instantly was pretty strong in PvP when it was around; adding 1 second worth of damage every 60 seconds is pretty poo poo for PvE, and that's a functional description of the same assault skill. Which is most of the assault skills.

It has been better or worse at various times depending on how wide or small the area of assault abilities is. The best time was when shockwave was a really short cooldown regular skill, and fusion cannons caused massive knockback. The worst time was when shockwave, thermal wave, and distortion all had a radius of about 0.5m. Things are kind of in the middle right now.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

And for every 10 people that do just that there will be one very rich crafter who invested the one time research fee to sell them.

Hardly. Crafters have to buy materials, which currently are more valuable than the item you make from them.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Firefall TTK is short? Honestly, I'm really baffled and curious at this point. What games have you played where Firefall has short TTKs in comparison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Fina posted:

I was looking at the Combat Test changes and I don't really understand some of them. Why the hell did they change grenade launchers and plasma cannons to no longer do direct hit damage and have flat damage with no falloff?

I understand that it is effectively a buff to the weapon but learning to really nail direct hits was the whole fun of those things to begin with, having no incentive to go for direct hits is a terrible change.

Among other reasons it was really loving annoying to bulls-eye an airborne enemy and get like 20% of your damage because Firefall's AoE handling was poo poo. Also falloff made AoE radius upgrades not only give +AoE, they were the only +damage mods in the game because of how the falloff worked (i.e. poorly). There were very few practical reasons to use an assault frame and shoot for direct hits because you would have higher DPS with your secondary weapon in most use cases.

• Locked thread