Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
So I'm looking at spending money on one of those Starter packs because I'm an impatient person - are either of them a good deal? From what I found, each advanced frame costs 100 beans to unlock, but do you use beans for anything else in game? Having every advanced frame unlocked from the start sounds useful, but $100 is a helluva lot of money too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
That clears things up for me a lot, thanks :) guess the cheap starter pack sounds like a good deal then so I might grab that and start playing tonight!

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Applied to the army as Monolm

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
Yeah, so I unlocked Mammoth and Rhino from the market earlier today, because I was really enjoying the Dreadnaught. Only really played the Mammoth so far (Rhino was really cheap, like 4000 credits, so I figured why not) but man, it's such an improvement over the base Dreadnaught. I've still got about 6000 credits left over, and I'd like to turn it in to another frame while the price is dropping out of everything. I guess a Bastion one would be good for solo thumping, because holy poo poo turrets?

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
How does one determine a good area for thumping? The area around Northern Shores seems to be insanely popular for it right now and I am not sure why. Could be the regular crashed thumper/mgv events that also spawn close to the tower but people just seem to thump nonstop there.

Also Chosen showing up is awesome when there are plenty of people around. I love the constant random events because they are actually worth doing. Thumping also seems to give good xp but is a bit slower than events if sonewhat more predictable.

As for getting a hoverbike, my understanding is you either buy one off the market/red bean store, or you make an average one as part of a quest at 25.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
For those who don't know, it seems the ultra quick levelling in Devil's Tusk has been fixed. If you're too low for the zone (anything under 33/34 seems to be 'too low') then you get severely nerfed xp from Chosen thumpers, ARES missions, etc.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
At level 23, I still haven't bought any perks because I don't want to gently caress something up and then have to spend a significant amount to respec. Rather just wait until I know what I'm doing better. Also, I assume the perk point rate speeds up at some point, because one every 4 levels, and starting at level 10, is not going to give us 21 points by level 40...

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Lemon King posted:

You can change that in the firefall.ini located in: Steam/SteamApps/common/Firefall
Add
code:
[FilePaths]
WritePath= "<drive>:/path/to/cache/folder"

How can we tell where it stores textures by default? It doesn't seem to be filling up my C: drive, and I'd hate to think I'm using up repeated bandwidth each day I play on downloading textures over and over again.

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

metasynthetic posted:

New player. Logging out Sunday night I got a notice that "tomorrow" all the advanced frames would unlock for 12 or 24 hours or something like that. I didn't see any option to try them out yesterday. Is this buggy or did I miss it somehow?

Also: how's mammoth vs. rhino? Most of what I can find on the mammoth looks outdated, more recent reports seem to say it's not all that tankier than the other dread variants while having much worse offense than before a recent balance patch.

Edit: Also are there any visual frame customization besides paint options? Anything that affects the actual model? Or will you always look the same forever?

I have unlocked both Mammoth and Rhino, got the Mammoth to 26 and the Rhino to 6 or 7. Don't take that as an endorsement just yet though. I have 13k HP on my Mammoth and it feels like a hell of a lot less, because it just tends to disappear in chunks. Someone I ran across in game said this was because Mammoths are currently bugged and take more damage than they should be.

That said, Shield Wall is a very handy skill, but the short duration and longish cooldown makes it something I frequently use either too early or too late. Teleport Shot is great though - can use it to reach places you otherwise couldnt or to telefrag people Unreal Tournament style. Enemies flinching when it hits them, like they know whats coming, is just icing.

Rhino, I haven't played around with enough to give a full impression, but I get the idea I might have been better off levelling it first. Sundering Wave is kinda like another Repulsor Blast without the knockback, and Charge is loads of fun but I don't know how useful/good it is at later levels. Gravity Field Grenade is pretty underwhelming so far; maybe I am using it wrong but it doesn't actually seem to do anything.

As for the weaponry, the Mammoth MG is pretty great all round. The Rhino MG seems to have a higher rate of fire, and its got more scatter, but overall my impression was of roughly equivalent dps. With accuracy mods the Rhino one is probably better but the secondary shotgun mode on Mammoth is super useful.

Also, as a general Dread ability I love Absorption Bomb but its so hard to use right. A Rhino that managers to Sunder, AB and then Repulsor Blast is probably a Rhino that has can tbump with the best of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me
I have to say that I agree with doing instances. They are far better xp:time than ARES missions and BWA especially is like 140k in 20-25 minutes with a good group. Sure it might get boring but its a hell of a lot better than endless travelling and hoping for crashed thumpers/LGVs or other rand om ARES events. Squad thumping can be pretty fun too.

• Locked thread