Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I get the feeling this is a homework project but it looks like fun. I enjoyed doing something similar for my Economics class in High School.

The problem with all this is very simple, the more complex you go the harder it becomes to replace. If you want to go with LED lights for your skyscraper farms than you'll need Silicon, Germanium, Phosphorus, Arsenic, Boron and Aluminium. That doesn't go into what you need for any of the more complex computer components like Integrated Circuits and everything that goes together to make a computer. After that, you've got to have factories that can build all that crap and replace themselves plus whatever materials are needed to make them.

So you either have to find a way to mine deep underground, filter sea water for whatever trace materials are in it or just stockpile a crazy amount of raw minerals. This has to be solved first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
A serious question, are we even close to mining the sea floor?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
You should know that. Work out how many bedrooms you need per family - as in like a family gets 3~4 bedrooms and then give other couples or single people a studio apartment or something. Work out floorspace, slot them together and build upwards.

This is hardly a difficult thing to work out.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Wouldn't goat or sheep milk be a good enough alternative? Sheep in particular are probably the most useful since you can use the wool to make clothes.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
To me, the biggest problem is the lack of space/expansion. Technology will stagnate for a few generations until the population gets to the point where it can begin to improve once again. But it wouldn't matter if they can't get the materials it needs to actually improve.

In your scenario we do have the option of mining the sea floor, but that technology is unproven (also mostly non-existent) and I can't see 10,000 people being able to maintain a fleet of ROVs that mine the sea floor. It might be possible, but the whole island would have to be set up to maintain them and build them. I wonder if would be possible to live underwater considering we have magic power.

• Locked thread