Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Use an oven mitt or cloths or whatever to grab and lift your cast iron pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I get better results for crispy hash browns by laying down some oil (or clarified butter, ideally), letting the oil warm a bit, laying down a thin layer of potatoes, pressing the potatoes down so there's as much contact between the pan and potatoes as possible, and keeping the heat at a level that lets the bottom get real crispy without moving them without burning them. Once the bottom is crispy and it's like a patty of crispy-on-one-side potato, flip and crisp the other side. You can do the same thing with rice.

I don't think I've ever had crispy grated potato that wasn't a coherent hard-on-one-or-both-sides cake of potato.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Loanarn posted:

I will try this one next time for sure. I knew I was compromising by trying to make a pizza dough and use it the same day. Next time I will hunt down better ingredients.

I like this one better, and bonus, it's no-knead. Need to plan ahead for it though.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

toe knee hand posted:

I like this one better, and bonus, it's no-knead. Need to plan ahead for it though.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Yeah. This time I will plan ahead for sure. No-knead is defiantly a bonus. I went shopping for more ingredients today and found a 8.5lb turkey so on Saturday I'll cook the bird and make a mini-thanksgiving meal and use the leftovers and bones for all sorts of dishes.

No Wave posted:

I don't think I've ever had crispy grated potato that wasn't a coherent hard-on-one-or-both-sides cake of potato.

Yeah I should have dried the potatoes but my real mistake was moving them in the pan too frequently.

I still have so much to clean. When planning this out I didn't fully realize how much time would be spent shopping and cleaning instead of cooking. I now have a deeper appreciation for homemakers. Time to go clean and make some breakfast tacos.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

I get better results for crispy hash browns by laying down some oil (or clarified butter, ideally), letting the oil warm a bit, laying down a thin layer of potatoes, pressing the potatoes down so there's as much contact between the pan and potatoes as possible, and keeping the heat at a level that lets the bottom get real crispy without moving them without burning them. Once the bottom is crispy and it's like a patty of crispy-on-one-side potato, flip and crisp the other side. You can do the same thing with rice.

this but also the crucial step is to take your grated potato in a thin kitchen towel, and wring out the potato, like you would a wet piece of laundry. when I grate a few potatoes I throw them in a tea towel and usually get about 2-3tbsp of liquid via wringing. then you can scatter them in the pan like no wave says, don't ever touch them again except for to flip them one time during cooking. it's just like a steak. salt and pepper the uncooked top in the pan, then do again for the the cooked top when you flip'em.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Alright so I made some Sin City Breakfast Tacos for a midnight meal.

Recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebAFCGWIfok

Wow. This was so easy to make and tasted great. I don't think I'll ever eat store bought flour tortillas ever again. I followed the potato recipe found in the video but I cooked down three strips of bacon until they were crispy and could be crumbled and I cooked the eggs in the rendered bacon fat and added in the cooked potatoes and crumbled bacon back in. A++ would cook again.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

One Crazy Trick For Breakfast Potatoes The Restaurant Industry Doesn't Want You To Know:

When you do hash browns, do chunks, not shreds. Use red potatoes. Once you've diced them, pile them on a plate, pour in a little water and put them in the microwave or three minutes. Yes, really. The microwave will dry out the outside of the potatoes and par-cook them enough so that when they hit the pan full of screaming hot clarified butter they will brown on the outside and be fluffy on the inside.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

One Crazy Trick For Breakfast Potatoes The Restaurant Industry Doesn't Want You To Know:

When you do hash browns, do chunks, not shreds. Use red potatoes. Once you've diced them, pile them on a plate, pour in a little water and put them in the microwave or three minutes. Yes, really. The microwave will dry out the outside of the potatoes and par-cook them enough so that when they hit the pan full of screaming hot clarified butter they will brown on the outside and be fluffy on the inside.

I cheat my way through so many potato recipes using the microwave for a couple minutes to speed things up.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Wroughtirony posted:

Very cool. I used russets and just fried them till they were pretty darn crispy so they would retain some of that texture after being cooked with eggs. Worked pretty well for the russets but I'll have to give that a go with the red potatoes.

Anyone have suggestions for easier to make deserts that transport well?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

this but also the crucial step is to take your grated potato in a thin kitchen towel, and wring out the potato, like you would a wet piece of laundry. when I grate a few potatoes I throw them in a tea towel and usually get about 2-3tbsp of liquid via wringing. then you can scatter them in the pan like no wave says, don't ever touch them again except for to flip them one time during cooking. it's just like a steak. salt and pepper the uncooked top in the pan, then do again for the the cooked top when you flip'em.
Agree with the general gist of this post, but there's nothin' wrong with flipping steak! The more you flip it the more evenly it cooks.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-flip-your-steaks-and-burgers-multiple-times-for-better-results.html

Loanarn posted:

Anyone have suggestions for easier to make deserts that transport well?
By far the best (and easy!) dessert I know of is this lemon tart:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/lemon-lemon-lemon-cream-recipe.html

Even when I serve it in a pre-baked crust from the supermarket it's the best dessert anyone's ever had.

My runner-up is even easier to transport:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28food.t.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www&_r=0

You can just make the rice pudding and put granola and berries on top.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 30, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

No Wave posted:

By far the best (and easy!) dessert I know of is this lemon tart:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/04/lemon-lemon-lemon-cream-recipe.html

Even when I serve it in a pre-baked crust from the supermarket it's the best dessert anyone's ever had.

My runner-up is even easier to transport:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28food.t.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www&_r=0

You can just make the rice pudding and put granola and berries on top.

The lemon tart looks great but I'm looking to do all home made and making a tart crust and filling was a bit more than I was looking to do. I was thinking something that I could make in one bowl and cook in one pan. I did some digging and found this: http://www.whiskaffair.com/2013/08/one-bowl-oreo-brownies.html

Your runner up looking pretty complicated as well. I am looking to cook this and to share with my gaming group on Thursday and I know that rice pudding would never fly with them.

Here is my tentative list of things I am going to cook.

pre:
Thursday
Dish 1: Puerco Pibil w/ Rice & Flour Tortilla Suggested by No Wave
Dish 2: Oreo Brownies

Friday
Dish 1: ??? /w spaghetti squash. Was unable to find bass at three stores. Going to look for another dish to make.
Dish 2: Chili w/ chips made from leftover tortillas

Saturday
Dish 1: Granola suggested by Plus_Infinity
Dish 2: Meatballs /w tomato sauce and polenta suggested by No Wave

Sunday
Dish 1: Chili Omelet
Dish 2: Roast Turkey, Gravy, Mash Potatoes, Stuffing Roasting a whole bird was suggested by Wroughtirony, Vegetable Melange and mindphlux

Monday
Dish 1: Biscuits & Gravy
Dish 2: Turkey Sandwich w/ Potato Chips reusing a leftover whole bird was suggested by Wroughtirony, Vegetable Melange and mindphlux

Tuesday
Dish 1: Fried stuffing & Eggs reusing a leftover whole bird was suggested by Wroughtirony, Vegetable Melange and mindphlux
Dish 2: Pizza

Wednesday
Dish 1: Tofu Curry suggested by Lhet
Dish 2: Hamburger w/ Waffle Fries
Let me know what you think and I am always looking for more suggestions.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 31, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I may not have represented the second accurately - the grand majority of that work goes into the optional accompaniments for the rice pudding, rather than the rice pudding itself.

For the rice pudding:

Ingredients:
½ vanilla bean
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
1/3 cup carnaroli or arborio rice (they have large grains)
2 ½ tablespoons sugar
1 2/3 cups heavy cream

1.) Bring milk to simmer with vanilla bean split lengthwise and scraped of beans. After coming to simmer, scrape vanilla pod again.
2.) Add rice, leave simmer until the rice is fully cooked. The consistency should be sorta like oatmeal - the rice grains should be huge at this point.
3.) Stir in the sugar, stir until mixed in and tasty. Don't add all the sugar at first and add until you like the level of sweetness. Discard the vanilla bean.
4.) Chill the rice in the fridge (preferably overnight).
5.) Before transporting, whip the cream with some sugar, fold the whipped cream into the rice pudding. This makes the rice pudding very light.

When serving top with berries and whatever you like in rice pudding. Anywayz, obvi you can stick with oreo thingy if you want.

Saturday dinner:
If you really wanna ball out Saturday you can have some veal sweetbreads, lamb kidneys, or rare beef liver. If you want to try a braise and want to work at it, osso bucco with gnocchi.

Or meatballs w/tomato sauce and polenta.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 30, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

No Wave posted:

Or meatballs w/tomato sauce and polenta.

Perfect. Already have a good sauce leftover from making pizza that I can adjust for meatballs.

Edit:

Anyone have some great no-knead bread recipes? The easier the better. I am thinking http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/40-minute-hamburger-buns for the hamburger buns and http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?_r=1& for the bread loaf for slices to eat with dinner and for stuffing.

As far as biscuits go I was thinking of using this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe.html.

I could also use a suggestion on a curry recipe and a Salt Encrusted Baked Bass recipe.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 31, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kneading's not hard and opens up a whole lot more dough recipes. I used to make bread weekly, it's a nice little 10-minute exercise in the morning.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

ColdPie posted:

Kneading's not hard and opens up a whole lot more dough recipes. I used to make bread weekly, it's a nice little 10-minute exercise in the morning.

I'll bite. Got a favorite?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I mostly just made super basic white bread. I think it's a good way to learn about working with dough before you get into slightly more difficult stuff like pastries or even pizza dough. I really like baking, so entirely too many words incoming.

Activate a tablespoon of yeast in a mug of warm water and a tablespoon of honey for 10 mins. Put 3 cups of bread flour, a teaspoon or so of salt, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter into a large bowl. If you want to do something interesting like crushed rosemary, this is where to do it. Add the yeast slurry and another cup of water. The next bit is where experience comes in, but you'll get the hang of it. Mix the dough with your hands (cooking spray on your hands helps, but you're going to get messy regardless). You want the dough to be as moist as possible without sticking to the bowl. Add flour as necessary. Adding water back into dry dough is harder than adding flour to wet dough, so I err on the side of too much water, then add just enough flour to get to the point you want.

Once you've got the dough ball, you turn it out of the bowl onto a well floured surface. Push it into the counter with both hands, kind of spreading it apart with your palms. Use your whole body for the motion, you want to put some power in and stretch it. Pick it up, place it down end-wise and repeat. For ten minutes. Maybe take a break if you need one. Add flour as needed to keep it from sticking, it will get stickier as you knead. You're done when the dough is "smooth," and takes some effort to tear (google "windowpane test" if you care).

Sucker someone else into cleaning the mixing bowl, then put the dough into the bowl, lightly oil it with veg or olive oil, and let it rise somewhere warm and moist. I boil a small pot of water and stick it straight into the (room temperature) oven with the dough, covered by a tea towel. Let it rise until doubled (30-60 minutes depending on air moisture and warmth). Punch it down, knead once or twice to redistribute the dough, then shape into your loaf pans. This will probably make two loaves. If you don't have a loaf pan, you can literally just make a blob and bake it on an upside-down baking dish. Whatever, bread is almost older than civilization, it'll turn out.

Let it rise again for 30-60 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 and bake for about a half hour. It's hard to over-bake this bread, so go a little longer if you think it needs it. Let it cool on a rack for another 15 minutes before cutting into it. Boom, delicious sandwich bread for the week and the skills to make other doughs.

The heel is the best part. Don't let someone else take your freshly baked heel.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 31, 2014

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Or mix about 3.5 cups flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1.5 teaspoons yeast, and approximately a cup (give or take) of water, knead it for a while, let it rise until doubled, punch it down, shape it, let it rise again for like an hour, then slash the top bake it for ~40 minutes at 450 degrees. That's a little simpler because you don't have to bother with the butter, honey, yeast activation, etc. If you're making the bread for sandwiches or something, I'd go with ColdPie's, and if you're making it as a side for a meal, especially with soup, go for the French bread.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or mix about 3.5 cups flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1.5 teaspoons yeast, and approximately a cup (give or take) of water, knead it for a while, let it rise until doubled, punch it down, shape it, let it rise again for like an hour, then slash the top bake it for ~40 minutes at 450 degrees. That's a little simpler because you don't have to bother with the butter, honey, yeast activation, etc. If you're making the bread for sandwiches or something, I'd go with ColdPie's, and if you're making it as a side for a meal, especially with soup, go for the French bread.

I'm going to make both so its good to have both recipes.

Edit: Got back from shopping at three stores and couldn't find Bass anywhere. Any other suggestions?

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 31, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Agree with the general gist of this post, but there's nothin' wrong with flipping steak! The more you flip it the more evenly it cooks.

you won't get a beautiful crust if you flip it a lot. also poo poo will stick to your grates/pan/whatever since it hasn't had time to release. if you give it time and flip once, it should come away clean and have a great crust. ditto for almost any protein.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Loanarn posted:

Let me know what you think and I am always looking for more suggestions.

bartolimu posted:

I recommend Mr Wiggles's Weekday Brazilian Stew. It's in regular rotation for me and makes for some very good reheated work lunches. Add some linguica or something if you want, I do and it's delicious.

:colbert:

Seriously though your menu looks pretty good. I don't plan out my meals as much - it's more finding what needs cooking and using it however I feel - but when you're re-learning out hot cook it's a good idea to have a little more structure. To add another meal recommendation, I make variations on West African peanut soup once in a while and they're always good. Swap winter squash for the sweet potato, add a bit of coconut milk, play around with the spices (I like to add cumin, turmeric, and fenugreek), whatever; the base recipe is very flexible.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Loanarn posted:

I could also use a suggestion on a curry recipe and a Salt Encrusted Baked Bass recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJzFZ13vE8

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well if you want to do a fish that's not bass, you can't go wrong with doing this recipe for trout. Simple, amazing, and its a good excuse to learn to brown butter.

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/05/trout-a-la-meuni%C3%A8re-or-sharing-a-culinary-epiphany-with-julia-child.html

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Well if you want to do a fish that's not bass, you can't go wrong with doing this recipe for trout. Simple, amazing, and its a good excuse to learn to brown butter.

http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2010/05/trout-a-la-meuni%C3%A8re-or-sharing-a-culinary-epiphany-with-julia-child.html

Well considering that I dont have time to go shopping now between now and meal 1 for friday I'm going to improvise. I have a lot of leftover rice from the Puerco Pibil so I'm going to try to make some fried rice since I have most of the ingredients on hand.

So I made 5lbs of Puerco Pibil and 4 cups of uncooked rice and about a dozen tortillas for 6 people and it ended up being just enough for everyone. I cooked it all and transported it to my friend's house to eat dinner before we played D&D. I had forgotten to ask my parents how to take the cap off the end of a lens to connect it to the camera and I fumbled with that while my food got cold and as I server myself last I didn't want it any colder.

So the Puerco Pibil came out perfect. It just fell apart and was extremely tender, juicy and flavorful. I have never really eaten anything seasoned with achiote paste before. I'm used to eating Mexican foods seasoned with cumin and oregano but the flavor that the clove, allspice and annatto added was something completely different and delicious. Somehow I managed to take all but one picture very blurry even though it looked in focus at the time. Next time I will have to flip out the preview and readjust the lens instead of assuming it was in focus. I also needed to step back and crop afterwards.

Recipe used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8EiScBEjA

I reused the tortilla recipe from this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMTWJNZEjQ

The outside of the brownies were great but the bottom was a bit gooey. That may have been a result of me scaling up the recipe by x1.4 to make sure there was enough for everyone. That being said they tasted great but needed a little balance like a scoop of vanilla or a tall glass of milk as they were chocolate overload.

Recipe used: http://www.whiskaffair.com/2013/08/one-bowl-oreo-brownies.html

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 7, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
So I made fried rice using my leftover rice from last night. It turned out pretty good but not quite the same flavor as restaurant fried rice. I seasoned it with soy sauce, oyster sauce and a little hoisin to sweeten it up. I didn't use a recipe for this and just winged it.

Later I made chili. This recipe comes from my friend who has been making this chili for years and its the best chili I have ever had. You marinade 5lbs of cubed steak in two quarts of beef stock and some Worcestershire sauce. You take 1lb of bacon and render the fat. Julienne 3 red bell peppers and 2 red onions and a whole head of garlic and coat them in the bacon fat and roast it in the oven for 30 minutes. Add the bacon back in with a 28 oz can of tomatoes, a can and a half of whole chiptole in adobo sauce and the stock your beef marinated in and puree until smooth. Sear the beef and add it to the "soup" and season with plenty of cumin and some oregano. Cook it until a wooden spoon stands on it's own in the chili which should take 4-5 hours.

This turned out great as always. I also fried up the leftover flour tortillas and eat it with that. The chili is really great with a little queso fresco or Mexican cheese blend melted in but I had neither on hand. The photo's I took of the chili with the chips were poor and I had to re-shoot them. Just like the Puerco Pibil cooking this dish makes your house smell fantastic and if your hungry temps to to try it before the slow cooking is really complete. My apartment still smelled like Puerco Pibil when I woke up and I was saddened to realize there was none left.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 7, 2014

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Loanarn posted:

This recipe comes from my friend who has been making this chili for years and its the best chili I have ever had.

If I might suggest an improvement to make this even better, add pork ribs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Or like, some chilis. Those tend to be pretty great in chili.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or like, some chilis. Those tend to be pretty great in chili.

I will never get the chipotle hate on these forums.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
Today has been a very oat filled day. I cant remember the last time I ate oats outside of a granola bar.

So I ended up making Granola for the first meal. This ended up tasting great and of course was very simple to make. It was much sweeter than I expected it to be and the coconut really added something that you don't get much in commercial granola mixes. I know many people enjoy sweet breakfast foods but I'm more of a savory breakfast food guy. This would go great on top of a crumble or some sweet fruit based desert.

]

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-recipe.html

For my second meal I made Meatballs and Polenta. The Polenta I made using the white cornmeal I had purchased to help slide pizza and bread into the oven from a metal peel. I'm not sure if that makes this Polenta or Grits but whatever it was tasted pretty good and was also extremely easy to prepare.

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/basic-polenta-recipe.html I used this and cut it in half as I didn't need that much polenta and of coursed used white cornmeal and added pepper to taste.

As for the meatballs I only had ground beef so I looked for recipes that called for just beef instead of a combination. What I ended up with was unconventional to say the least but turned out surprisingly very good.

I had already made sauce for my pizza and made way too much last week. I used half of what was left over to cover the meatballs after I browned them instead of the barbeque sauce the recipe calls for. The odd thing about the recipe is that it calls for quick oats instead of breadcrumbs to add structure to the meatballs.

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/comfort-meatballs-recipe.html

I must have had oats on the brain from purchasing the quick oats for the meatballs and rolled oats for the granola I also ended up buying Ninkasi's Vanilla Oatis Oatmeal Stout at the same time without even realizing the oat connection.

Loanarn fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 7, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
As you get more used to cooking, you clean as you go more frequently, as it'll come naturally.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms
I brined the turkey last night before going to bed and put it in the fridge. I woke up this morning to find that the door had been cracked open on the fridge the entire night. Now I am questioning safety to eat anything meat or dairy in the fridge. :mad:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Ugh. This is why the thermometer is necessary. Temp the food and figure out if any of it fell into the danger zone. If it's even a degree above 40f, throw it out.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

dino. posted:

Ugh. This is why the thermometer is necessary. Temp the food and figure out if any of it fell into the danger zone. If it's even a degree above 40f, throw it out.

I do have a thermometer. Verified it is working properly with an ice water bath and it is and the turkey and everything else is at ~45 degrees. What a waste. All my leftovers are screwed and pretty much everything on the menu rested upon the chili and turkey leftovers.

What a way to end this thread....

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The correct way to end the thread is to eat the food anyway and report what happens.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You don't have to end the thread this way. Just extend it by one day. :)

Loanarn posted:

I will never get the chipotle hate on these forums.

What chipotle hate? I think he's just saying that chili powder is pretty much necessary.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rurutia posted:

What chipotle hate? I think he's just saying that chili powder is pretty much necessary.
Yeah. I mean sure put chipotle thingies in whatever you want. They're cool. But a chili should have some chilis.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I totally would've eaten most or all of what was in the fridge. The salt in the brine and spices in the leftovers are preservatives, and I imagine the food was only in the danger zone for a few hours. Most fridges I've seen are set around 40 degrees anyway. I would've taken the risk over waste all the food.

I had food sickness once. I would describe that night in the bathroom as hell on earth. Maybe I didn't learn my lesson the first time.

E: Would be kinda curious to know how stupid this actually is. What are the odds of illness assuming the food is reheated back up to safe meat temps.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 4, 2014

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah. I mean sure put chipotle thingies in whatever you want. They're cool. But a chili should have some chilis.

:confused: Chipotle literally translates to smoked chili. Chili powder is just a powder made from grinding dried varieties of chili peppers. Most of the blends you find in the store are ground dried chili peppers mixed with cumin, oregano, garlic powder and salt. This recipe opts to instead add those ingredients separately and use more fresh and whole versions to verify the quality of the ingredients is high.

Chili powders can be made from any number of varieties of chili peppers. I have chosen to essentially make my own powder in the chili itself using a variety of smoked jalapenos. I really don't see the difference.

ColdPie posted:

I totally would've eaten most or all of what was in the fridge. The salt in the brine and spices in the leftovers are preservatives, and I imagine the food was only in the danger zone for a few hours. Most fridges I've seen are set around 40 degrees anyway. I would've taken the risk over waste all the food.

The turkey was still raw and just in a brine. No way I'm eating any poultry that could be contaminated. I haven't thrown anything out yet as I haven't had the heart to and because throwing away five pounds of Chili isn't logistically easy.

Rurutia posted:

You don't have to end the thread this way. Just extend it by one day. :)

There isn't anything to extend. Its all gone bad. I don't feel like dropping another $100 steak and turkey just to do it all over again and it would take too long for a turkey to defrost. I am far too frustrated by this to have any desire to continue this process by coming up with and buying ingredients for an entirely new menu for another four days.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sounds like this was a quality endeavor for you. I'm glad you persevered. I you put this much effort into all the other ventures in your life.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Loanarn posted:

:confused: Chipotle literally translates to smoked chili. Chili powder is just a powder made from grinding dried varieties of chili peppers. Most of the blends you find in the store are ground dried chili peppers mixed with cumin, oregano, garlic powder and salt. This recipe opts to instead add those ingredients separately and use more fresh and whole versions to verify the quality of the ingredients is high.
No, I know. I just meant, like, more than one kind, and not from a can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well its not like you're not going to have to buy more milk etc anyways, and all the dry ingredients are still there. Any cheese you got is prob fine. The loss of the chili is sad, but I'm sure you can salvage this, albeit with maybe some cheaper protiens and modified recipes.

• Locked thread