Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Loanarn posted:

I have used both stone sharpeners and the ones on my wish list. I find the stone sharpeners much harder to use and they are much more expensive. I'm sure I have a steel but that only hones a blade. Anyone have any links to articles on reasons why I really need the more expensive and harder to use sharpening option?
I'm not a complete expert, but I noticed nobody replied to this and you bought a little ceramic thingy.
When you see knives at thrift stores where the blade is half an inch thinner than it should be, it's generally due to that type of quick sharpener. Sharpening both sides at once means that all the steel that is moved will get completely removed. When you sharpen one side at a time, you're definitely removing some steel, but you're also kinda pushing some towards the other side and rebuilding the edge. Since you've complained about the annoyingness of traditional stones, you would probably want something like an angled-rod ceramic sharpener. They give you a couple ceramic sharpening rods, and you just need to keep your knife vertical, doing something like 10 passes on each side, and you'll get great results without shortening your knife's lifespan nearly as much. I use one of these, but it looks like this would mostly serve the same purpose for a lot less.

Loanarn posted:

I need suggestions from goons on dishes to make now so I can start preparing.
A $2 meal. A $1 meal if you feel up to that. Something with Sardines, something with Tofu, something with vegetables from a neighbor/friend's garden (if available). Mayonnaise (and maybe other condiments) from scratch.

Lhet fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread