Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've heard those knife sharpener thingies are a bad idea. Better to go with a stone and a steel. I prefer wood cutting boards to plastic because they are more durable. I'm not sure how hot the silicone handle on the cast iron skillet can get but I would want to make sure my skillet can stand up to any temperature my oven gets to. I have a Swiss Rex peeler which I think is better than the Oxo one. $80 for a baking steel is maybe not a great idea especially if you'll already have a skillet. Depending on how much you grate stuff you might be fine just using the food processor and getting rid of the dedicated grater. I don't think a garlic press saves enough time to make it worth it but YMMV. Nobody needs a potato masher if they own an empty bottle of beer or a full one they can drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Loanarn posted:

Why do you think the Swiss Rex peeler is better? I have used the peelers like the oxo one before but I am unfamiliar with the style you are recommending.
You have to hold your hand sideways to use something like the Oxo peeler, whereas you can hold your handle straight with the Swiss Rex or another Y-peeler. I've never used other Y-peelers but I'm happy with the Swiss Rex and bought it because I heard it was the best Y-peeler.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Don't put provel on your pizza unless you want it to taste like rear end.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Use an oven mitt or cloths or whatever to grab and lift your cast iron pan.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Or mix about 3.5 cups flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 1.5 teaspoons yeast, and approximately a cup (give or take) of water, knead it for a while, let it rise until doubled, punch it down, shape it, let it rise again for like an hour, then slash the top bake it for ~40 minutes at 450 degrees. That's a little simpler because you don't have to bother with the butter, honey, yeast activation, etc. If you're making the bread for sandwiches or something, I'd go with ColdPie's, and if you're making it as a side for a meal, especially with soup, go for the French bread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Or like, some chilis. Those tend to be pretty great in chili.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Rurutia posted:

What chipotle hate? I think he's just saying that chili powder is pretty much necessary.
Yeah. I mean sure put chipotle thingies in whatever you want. They're cool. But a chili should have some chilis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Loanarn posted:

:confused: Chipotle literally translates to smoked chili. Chili powder is just a powder made from grinding dried varieties of chili peppers. Most of the blends you find in the store are ground dried chili peppers mixed with cumin, oregano, garlic powder and salt. This recipe opts to instead add those ingredients separately and use more fresh and whole versions to verify the quality of the ingredients is high.
No, I know. I just meant, like, more than one kind, and not from a can.

• Locked thread