Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

mindphlux posted:

a thousand times this.

if you aren't doing this at least once or twice a week, you're doing yourself a disservice. the triple use, with the stock and the leftover breast meat is perfect. I usually save about 5-6 carcasses before I bother making stock.

unless you hate chicken, turn it into a mission. make your perfect chicken. try different oven temperatures, times between flipping (or not flipping at all), rack vs no rack, water in the pan vs no water in the pan, brining versus dry rub vs no marinating at all, coarseness of salt, stuffing the cavity with aromatics (vs not), blasting with heat at the beginning vs not, stuffing the skin with herbs/butter vs not - there's so much. Argh, I think I could go on for another paragraph or two with 'controversial' topics in chicken cookery. In fact I guess I will, just because I can.... Using baking soda in your salt mixture on the skin, the 'beer can' approach, getting skin crispy using an oven vs grill, smoking vs grilling, starting chicken cold or at room tempature, PH of your brining solution, salinity of brine, length of brine, dusting skin with starch before roasting/grilling, spatchcocking vs whole roasting, air drying before cooking/developing a pellicle (and its relative importance in roasting vs grilling vs smoking), steaming THEN grilling/roasting (ala chinese) - and I haven't even mentioned any frying techniques which all have different answers to the same questions...

god, I suddenly feel like I should write a book on chicken cookery. it's definitely one of the things I've spent a ton of time researching and testing... the results are worth it too. I think thomas keller's method isn't really that amazing, but I entirely agree with his sentiment. a perfect roast (grilled, fried, smoked) chicken is the most amazing thing.

You can't drop all this knowledge on us and not tell us your preferred method and reason why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread