Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Stone and steel!

Also: Get a fuzzy logic rice cooker. they are SUPER multi use devices and great bachelor crock pots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Loanarn posted:

I did want a rice cooker but it was farther down on my list because I don't seem to have any trouble making it on the stovetop. I had never thought of using it as a crock pot. Any reason why I should get the fuzzy logic brand over the others?

The plain rice cookers do white rice.

The fuzzy logic cookers do the following out of the box:
White rice
Quick cook (rice in 20)
Brown Rice
Slow Cook
Steam
Porridge/congee
Slowcook

Plus they also have programmable timers. (set for time rice is done)

You can also use the steamer basket to make one pot meals with rice, and steamed meat/veg.
Other things i've made in my cooker:
Mac n cheese
Cake
Bread
Curry chicken with rice.
Lentils

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This is the one I have and love:
Panasonic SR-DE103 5-Cup (Uncooked) "Fuzzy Logic" Rice Cooker

My only gripe is that there isn't a reset or less time button, so when setting the steam timer for example, you can't set it lower you have to set go all the way to max and then back up to say 5 minutes from 8 because you can only use the minute button.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

electricmonk500 posted:

Restaurant supplies are great, I would recommend picking up a couple simple metal mixing bowls in sizes you think would be useful. Super cheap, I use them all the time, last a lot longer than you might expect (given how thin the metal is), pour nicely, and since they can take heat you can use them as a bain-marie or as an impromptu cover for a wok or skillet.

I would also recommend forgetting about the deep frier and just fry in a pot or a wok when you want to. Even if you use the frier enough to justify the purpose (which I would say means 2-3 times a week at least) that might be cool at first but would ultimately just be bad for your health. Not that that would really be a problem, because I guarantee you would probably use it once or twice, and then forget about it for many months at a time.

Rice Cooker > Deep Frier

TRUST US.

• Locked thread