Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ethnic markets, dollar stores, and thrift shops have all the equipment you need to cook with, aside from a decent knife, decent pans, and a thermopen. all the like 'nice' poo poo I have ever bought I have ended up hating. my favorite tongs are some 79 cent thin metal ones, ditto for mixing bowls, rags, measuring cups, mortar/pestle, butcher knives, rolling pins, etc.

poor people cook a lot more than rich people. ain't no madre gonna pay $17.35 for a 'pancake turner'. so in my experience cheap poo poo usually functions better, with a couple exceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

DankTamagachi posted:

Can we change the name of this forum to GWS: Basic loving pots > Rice Cooker > Deep Frier

fixed

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Buy a whole chicken. Roast it, eat the drumsticks and a thigh, and pick the rest of the meat off. Make stock with the carcass. Do anything you want with the meat. I like to make a "white chili" with beans and jalapenos. There are literally thousands of other options. Some of them involve using the awesome chicken stock you made...

a thousand times this.

if you aren't doing this at least once or twice a week, you're doing yourself a disservice. the triple use, with the stock and the leftover breast meat is perfect. I usually save about 5-6 carcasses before I bother making stock.

unless you hate chicken, turn it into a mission. make your perfect chicken. try different oven temperatures, times between flipping (or not flipping at all), rack vs no rack, water in the pan vs no water in the pan, brining versus dry rub vs no marinating at all, coarseness of salt, stuffing the cavity with aromatics (vs not), blasting with heat at the beginning vs not, stuffing the skin with herbs/butter vs not - there's so much. Argh, I think I could go on for another paragraph or two with 'controversial' topics in chicken cookery. In fact I guess I will, just because I can.... Using baking soda in your salt mixture on the skin, the 'beer can' approach, getting skin crispy using an oven vs grill, smoking vs grilling, starting chicken cold or at room tempature, PH of your brining solution, salinity of brine, length of brine, dusting skin with starch before roasting/grilling, spatchcocking vs whole roasting, air drying before cooking/developing a pellicle (and its relative importance in roasting vs grilling vs smoking), steaming THEN grilling/roasting (ala chinese) - and I haven't even mentioned any frying techniques which all have different answers to the same questions...

god, I suddenly feel like I should write a book on chicken cookery. it's definitely one of the things I've spent a ton of time researching and testing... the results are worth it too. I think thomas keller's method isn't really that amazing, but I entirely agree with his sentiment. a perfect roast (grilled, fried, smoked) chicken is the most amazing thing.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 27, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

ColdPie posted:

I agree with nwin. Also, how do you save the carcasses? Chuck 'em in a bag in the freezer?a

I agree with nwin too, but that would take ages. I should make a chicken thread maybe.

yeah, just chuck them in a gallon ziplock bag in the freezer, add parts until it bursts. don't worry about freezer burn, your stock won't care. break apart your carcass into sections to get more in the bag. I fit about 5 whole carcasses in one gallon bag, then start another. I'll just throw odd bits in too as I go - like if I buy several pounds of whole wings, I'll trim the wing tips and throw the ends in there. or if I have one with giblets, I'll throw the neck in there (not the liver/organs of course - I just freeze those in a different bag.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

I get better results for crispy hash browns by laying down some oil (or clarified butter, ideally), letting the oil warm a bit, laying down a thin layer of potatoes, pressing the potatoes down so there's as much contact between the pan and potatoes as possible, and keeping the heat at a level that lets the bottom get real crispy without moving them without burning them. Once the bottom is crispy and it's like a patty of crispy-on-one-side potato, flip and crisp the other side. You can do the same thing with rice.

I don't think I've ever had crispy grated potato that wasn't a coherent hard-on-one-or-both-sides cake of potato.

this but also the crucial step is to take your grated potato in a thin kitchen towel, and wring out the potato, like you would a wet piece of laundry. when I grate a few potatoes I throw them in a tea towel and usually get about 2-3tbsp of liquid via wringing. then you can scatter them in the pan like no wave says, don't ever touch them again except for to flip them one time during cooking. it's just like a steak. salt and pepper the uncooked top in the pan, then do again for the the cooked top when you flip'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Agree with the general gist of this post, but there's nothin' wrong with flipping steak! The more you flip it the more evenly it cooks.

you won't get a beautiful crust if you flip it a lot. also poo poo will stick to your grates/pan/whatever since it hasn't had time to release. if you give it time and flip once, it should come away clean and have a great crust. ditto for almost any protein.

• Locked thread